Masterpiece Mockingbird review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Masterpiece Mockingbird

Purchased from: GuitarGuitar (Newcastle)

It definately suits my style of music, pretty much anything with some good ol brutal heavyness haha, it has a nice rich and full sound with out being overly warm. It does do cleans quite nicely too for when I'm just in a improv. Stlye kind of mood, and whack some crazy effects on my amp. However the bottom end can lose its definition a little, especially when skipping between the low b and any other string (its in drop b tuning, but I'm getting a equaliser to resolve this - its not as tight as I would of liked, but very good for what the pickups are worth. I don't know whether its the amp or the shielding of the pickups but it does tend to be prone to microphonic squealing with the amps volume/ampage turned up, but I can't say I've played in a big space so I don't know whether if its just simply down to being too close to the amp in a small room (band practice). As mentioned above I am considering swapping the pickups out for two BKP Warpigs for a tighter sound. I use a Boss ML-2 Metalcore into a Vox VT15 at the moment.

I play a lot of "heavy" music and I think it suits it quite well, visually it stands out without being to "dark and broody", and it was a brilliant second guitar really helped me improve my playing (stupid comment but I have progressed quicker since playing it) and I had been playing guitar for a year when I hard bought it, so around 2 and a half years of playing as I write this review. I use this guitar with a Boss ML-2 Metalcore and Vox VT15, and I get a really nice tone with it, one I'm hoping to shape more with a compression pedal and equalizer but I need the money first haha. If it were stolen or lost I would seriously contemplate buying it again, even though BC Rich has stopped making the left handed model as of this year (2011) since it is no longer listed on their website.

I have had this guitar since January last year, and their is no damage as of yet, but I've yet to gig with the guitar but I expect it will hold up very well. The hardware seems solid as do the strap buttons which I expect are half locking as they seem to be a lot bigger then Standard strap buttons so they hold the guitar securely. I think I would use it without a backup, which is probably still unwise, but I trust it to hold up very well since its very hard to damage, I've pranged it a few times on the corners of my metal desk and it hasn't even got a scratch.

When I purhased the guitar it was set up really nicely and the pickups were an ideal height, very comfortable to play, I have lowered the action since then but yeah. The finish was really good, no scratches or imperfections of the body work, but I have noticed their is a slight gap on one side of the neck between the neck and body (since its a bolt on neck) its nothing major and doesnt't effect the integrity of the guitar at all, but its a pain to get any dirt out of it while cleaning.

I'm not sure when it was made but it was in perfect condition when I bought it haha. It has 24 Jumbo Frets, with a 24 5/8th scale and is really comfortable to play on. It has a maple neck with rosewood fingerboard with block inlays, and a deeply arched mahogany body that took some getting used to after playin my Strat copy with its body cutaway, but it sits really nice and I prefer it over the Strat copy now. It has a transparent red quilted maple top that with the chrome hardware is really eye catching, especially after a good polish. As for the Bridge it is a Tune-o-Matic, with a string thru body so it sustains brilliantly. It has two passive B.D.S.M BC Rich pickups which are great by themselves but I am considering replacing them for some BKP Warpigs, just for better bottom end. These are attached to a three way toggle style Switch and two volumes and one master tone control. The tuners are just BC Rich brand Standard tuners.

Most_Triumphant
    nickle_strings wrote: HELP! should i buy this or a les paul 100 mostly play classic rock
    go for the Les Paul
    Mockingbird88
    though i wish my Mockingbird was black and not red....or maybe a very dark blue which is hard to get too
    feathers632
    feathers632
    ego66
    i got a pair of gibson humbuckers from a 98 standard, need a guitar to put em in, is this guitar worth it? cause for the price the body and neck look killer
    djBeWilmingtnNC
    I got mine as a zzounds blem for only $220 in the vintage burst-type finish, the quilted top veneer was bookmatched very nicely for the money. Intonation is a little off, common in lower-priced 24-fret guitars. Recessed metal knobs look VERY highend, like a boutique guitar. BC RICH stock pups are good, not as warm as the BC RICH guitars of the 80s but strong and bright. Bolt-on neck is the sore spot, as BC RICH's legacy is neck thru. great intermediate guitar with highend looks and full 24 frets. Originally wanted the dragons blood but the burst was onblem and i'm glad i got what i got...stunning. Arched belly is very classy and rich looking too.
    Mockingbird88
    I got a red Mockingbird guitar completely by accident. I saw it and knew I had to have it because I had never seen a guitar like that before, and I own 8 guitars so...but the fret marks on my Mockingbird are clouds instead of dots/rectangles and i got the guitar Nov. 19, 2011 at a Sam Ash Guitar Store...
    Todd Allmighty
    I have played tons of different brands and BC is by far my favorite. From punk to ska to metal these guitars can make your sound really stand out. Next best thing would be PRS
    TST2469
    I really like the look of it actually and if i was one of those rich guitarist's id deffs buy 1 but im saving up for something real special!!!
    Charlie4
    Guitar is beautiful, especially in a natural wooden finish but I won't buy this because of...Agathis.
    drifter2916
    I got the mockingbird platinum series years ago for free..it was nearly stripped naked, but she played like a dream for a starter electric once I popped pickups in it. Still display it proudly next to my Jacksons. This is a sexy beast!
    FoodPoisoning22
    I've had one of these for a while now and although I've now got a better guitar than this since then it's still definitely a good buy. Proves BC Rich can get some things right.