Masterpiece Mockingbird Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 03/10/2011 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: Masterpiece Mockingbird
Masterpiece Mockingbirds are not short on looks or features. This bolt on guitar is an arched top with a AAA quilted maple veneer top. It is scaled to 24 5/8 with 24 jumbo frets and has a Rosewood fingerboard with B.C. Rich traditional cloud style inlay. Additionally it has a string though body with a tune-o-matic bridge and two chrome covered humbucker pickups.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 Features: 8.8
 8.9
 9,631
reviews (4) 33 comments vote for this gear:
Masterpiece Mockingbird Reviewed by: firesofforever9, on february 06, 2007

Features: The Mockingbird Masterpiece is one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen. I'm almost positive it was created in 2006. It has 24 thin frets, rectangle pearl inlays, a darker rosewood fretboard with a maple neck, and it has a bolt on construction. The body is arched, a beautiful transparent finish (in sunfire, black, or red), string-thru, it has 3 knobs and a pickup switch, and it also looks as if it is a quilted top. The pickups are wonderful B.C. Rich covered humbuckers. The tuners are traditionally placed, 3 per side of the headstock. B.C. Rich also made the tuners. When I bought this guitar it didn't come with any case or ant accessories, but the strings were wonderful and I haven't had to change them yet. // 8

Sound: I use this guitar with a Crate 50 watt amp and a DigiTech Grunge distortion. It makes this guitar sound extremely metal and insane. The sound is always bright, it never gets all scratchy. The knobs give the sound of the guitar a little bit of variety, but not much difference. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up very well at the factory. There are no flaws that I have noticed so far. The pickups are adjusted very well, they look very nice also. All of my friends Who have seen this guitar have said it is the nicest one that they have ever seen. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The Mockingbird is very dependable, it definately can withstand live playing. The straps buttons are large to hold your strap in nice and tight. I think that I will last a very long time for a daily guitar player like me. I recommend it to anyone Who is into metal and hard rock. All of the hardware on this guitar will last a while. I have accidentaly hit it against other things many times and I haven't seen a dent on this guitar so far. // 8

Overall Impression: My style of music is hard rock, so the color (transparent black)and shape of this guitar make me seem like a true metal master. I have been playing for about two years now without 1 guitar lesson, and I am actually very good at guitar. I also own a Hamer flametop Explorer, a Guild acoustic, a Squier Strat, a Fender Strat, a Drive wildfire bass guitar, an Ibanez bass guitar, and a Behringer half stack. If my mockingbird were to be stolen I couldnt buy another guitar because I'm broke, but if I could I would buy the same guitar only in a different color if I can find it. This guitar was pretty hard to find (besides on ebay). I had a hard decision choosing this guitar over the B.C. Rich Bich Masterpice. I love both of the shapes, but the Bich just didn't seem to have the same amount of metal in it that the mockingbird did. // 9

Masterpiece Mockingbird Reviewed by: Rockingbird, on june 23, 2008

Features: This guitar was crafted in Korea, although I don't know when. It is 24 frets on a maple neck, with a rosewood fretboard and rectangle inlays up to the 19th fret. The body is made of solid agathis. The finish is a trans black on a quilted maple top with whit binding. The body is a Mockingbird shape, but be forewarned, there is no tummy-cut on the back, making playing while sitting down uncomfortable. The pickups are BC Rich covered pickups, wired passive. There is a volume control for each pickup, a master tone, and a three way toggle switch. The tuners are Standard B.C. Rich tuners, and it came with no accesories. // 9

Sound: This guitar performs very well on a medium to high-gain setting, making it perfect for hard rock and metal. However, the sound on a clean setting is very nice as well, especially with a lot of bass. I run it through a Vox AD15VT Combo, and can't be happier. There is not much noise unless you pump a ridiculous amount of gain through it, and even then, it isn't too troublesome. It sounds bright and rich through cleans, and has great presence with distortion. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up well at the factory, and sounded beautiful at the time. I lowered the bridge and set it as far back as it would go, and it went from beautiful to beastly in a matter of seconds. The pickups were adjusted perfectly and gave me no problems. The finish isn't painted on, but rather soaked into the wood itself and lacquered, making it impossible to remove, scratch, or chip. I've banged mine against walls ceilings and even people with no damage to the guitar whatsoever. Mine was the floor madel, so there were little scratches from someones belt-buckle, but nothing I couldn't Live with. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built lke a rock. I have played it Live several times and can't put a single scratch on it, even after accidently knocking the mic stand over. The hardware is strong and has taken quite the beating like a champ. The strap buttons are solid, and actually maybe a little too big. I have to wrestle my srap off of the thing, so straplocks seem like they would be a waste of time. The finish is good, and wont get worn away by excessive playing. // 9

Overall Impression: I play hard rock, and this guitar fits the bill nicely. It pumps out singing cleans and screaming distortion at a whim, and leaves nothing to be desired. If it were lost, stolen, or broken, I would definitely buy it again. I love the finish, and the action, but, mostly, the sound is what got me. I compared it to other guitars, like Epi LP's, SG's, a few Ibanez's, and this one cleaned them all out. It's perfect for me, and it should be for anyone else, too. // 10

Masterpiece Mockingbird Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 03, 2009

Price paid: C$ 699.99

Features: Construction: bolt on Body wood: agathis Top style: deep arched Top wood: quilted AAA veneer Body binding: single ply white Headstock style: traditional 3 to a side Headstock color: matching veneer and color Headstock binding: single ply white Tuners: BC Rich die cast Neck wood: maple Back of neck: stained to match Neck binding: single ply white Neck profile: Standard BC Rich C Nut width: 43 mm Fretboard: rosewood Inlay: white pearloid block Frets: 24 jumbo 2.7mm Scale: 24 5/8 Bridge type: Tune O Matic String termination: string through Pickups: 2 B\.C\. Rich B.D.S.M. humbuckers Controls: two volumes, one tone and one 3 way toggle Click to see control diagram Hardware: chrome Finish: Transparent Top wood: AAA quilted maple veneer Colors: Dragon Blood // 9

Sound: I am all about classic rock and heavy metal. This guitar has an absoultely amazing sound it's a vicious beast on metal however when you want that warm easy tone in overdrive or light distortion it's nothing short of wonderful. I only have a Kustom 30 watt amp with 8 effects and a fab distortion pedal not the greatest gear with it working on upgrading but it's still an amazing sound. The guitar leaves fuzz and has a great sound in virtually any type of music. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is set up with two bc rich chrome covered pickups that are set nicely and it has 24 frets and a quilted maple veener top. The color I have is blood dragon but can also get it a Orange and red sunburst type color the guitar had absoulutley no flaws and also has the pearl square inlayys which really set off the look make it amazing. Also the neck is thin so easily able to play hard riffs this guitars looks are simple amazing by far the nicest looking guitar I have ever seen // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have had some rough times with my masterpiece and yet there are practially no scratches and no dents at all also it's good enough to keep a strap without a belt rash and the belt buttons are real big so there's no chance in ur strap slipping off during a gig also in a gig you wont need a backup this is so dependable and built to last for sure. // 9

Overall Impression: Over all I am amazed with this guitar I have had a Vintage, Epiphone a les paul Special II and those were nothing compared to this this guitar is absoultley amazing I lovee the tone I can get out of this also the hard metal sounds amazing too I hate nothing about the guitar only thing I wish I had a better amp and pedal to get the best I can get out of this beasT. If it were stolen I would kill whoever stole it and take it back and pray there were no damage if I couldnt find Who stole it I'd get another one just like it. // 10

Masterpiece Mockingbird Reviewed by: dannyninjaBC, on march 10, 2011

Purchased from: GuitarGuitar (Newcastle)

Features: I'm not sure when it was made but it was in perfect condition when I bought it haha. It has 24 Jumbo Frets, with a 24 5/8th scale and is really comfortable to play on. It has a maple neck with rosewood fingerboard with block inlays, and a deeply arched mahogany body that took some getting used to after playin my Strat copy with its body cutaway, but it sits really nice and I prefer it over the Strat copy now. It has a transparent red quilted maple top that with the chrome hardware is really eye catching, especially after a good polish. As for the Bridge it is a Tune-o-Matic, with a string thru body so it sustains brilliantly. It has two passive B.D.S.M BC Rich pickups which are great by themselves but I am considering replacing them for some BKP Warpigs, just for better bottom end. These are attached to a three way toggle style Switch and two volumes and one master tone control. The tuners are just BC Rich brand Standard tuners. // 9

Sound: It definately suits my style of music, pretty much anything with some good ol brutal heavyness haha, it has a nice rich and full sound with out being overly warm. It does do cleans quite nicely too for when I'm just in a improv. Stlye kind of mood, and whack some crazy effects on my amp. However the bottom end can lose its definition a little, especially when skipping between the low b and any other string (its in drop b tuning, but I'm getting a equaliser to resolve this - its not as tight as I would of liked, but very good for what the pickups are worth. I don't know whether its the amp or the shielding of the pickups but it does tend to be prone to microphonic squealing with the amps volume/ampage turned up, but I can't say I've played in a big space so I don't know whether if its just simply down to being too close to the amp in a small room (band practice). As mentioned above I am considering swapping the pickups out for two BKP Warpigs for a tighter sound. I use a Boss ML-2 Metalcore into a Vox VT15 at the moment. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I purhased the guitar it was set up really nicely and the pickups were an ideal height, very comfortable to play, I have lowered the action since then but yeah. The finish was really good, no scratches or imperfections of the body work, but I have noticed their is a slight gap on one side of the neck between the neck and body (since its a bolt on neck) its nothing major and doesnt't effect the integrity of the guitar at all, but its a pain to get any dirt out of it while cleaning. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have had this guitar since January last year, and their is no damage as of yet, but I've yet to gig with the guitar but I expect it will hold up very well. The hardware seems solid as do the strap buttons which I expect are half locking as they seem to be a lot bigger then Standard strap buttons so they hold the guitar securely. I think I would use it without a backup, which is probably still unwise, but I trust it to hold up very well since its very hard to damage, I've pranged it a few times on the corners of my metal desk and it hasn't even got a scratch. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of "heavy" music and I think it suits it quite well, visually it stands out without being to "dark and broody", and it was a brilliant second guitar really helped me improve my playing (stupid comment but I have progressed quicker since playing it) and I had been playing guitar for a year when I hard bought it, so around 2 and a half years of playing as I write this review. I use this guitar with a Boss ML-2 Metalcore and Vox VT15, and I get a really nice tone with it, one I'm hoping to shape more with a compression pedal and equalizer but I need the money first haha. If it were stolen or lost I would seriously contemplate buying it again, even though BC Rich has stopped making the left handed model as of this year (2011) since it is no longer listed on their website. // 9

Comments