Metal Master Kerry King V Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 02/17/2011 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: Metal Master Kerry King V
If you want to be a tonal pillager just like Kerry King but you lack a B.C. Rich endorsement and find your self in a significantly lower tax bracket than Mr. King - the Metal Master Series Tribal Fire V is for you! This guitar packs aggressive looks and hot B.C. Rich tone at a price you can afford.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 8.2
 8.7
 7.7
 3,210
reviews (3) 57 comments vote for this gear:
Metal Master Kerry King V Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 22, 2008

Features: This guitar is perfect for a player like myself Who can't fork out the cash to buy the full fledged Kerry King signature, but want the feel, look and playability. It sports a 24 fret unfinished, bolt on, maple neck, with Dot inlays. The neck is thin, but not so thin that it doesn't fill out the hand comfortably. The lack of a finish allows you to move your hand up and down the neck more quickly despite sweat from a long active gig, heat, or just being nervous. The finish is black with a white Kerry King tribal/flame graphic over the top. The finish is very hard, I've banged mine into random things a few times because it's so much longer in the back than my previous guitar, an Epiphone Les Paul. The body is basswood which makes the guitar light. The pickups are B. C. Rich BDSM dual humbuckers which give a very evil tone when distorted, and a melodic one while played clean. The only complaint I have about this guitar is the bridge. It's a wraparound and makes changing strings a pain in the ass. Especially if you break a string right next to the bridge. // 9

Sound: I play a wide variety of metal. Bands like Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Slayer, Pantera, Testament, Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch, As I Lay Dying, Cradle Of Filth, and Trivium. This guitar can pull them all off with ease. As I said earlier the distorted sound of this guitar is pure evil. I've played it through a few different amps and effects. While there was a slight difference each time, the guitar's tone stood out and is instantly recognizable to me. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought this guitar, I was afraid of not being able to fine tune the wraparound bridge as well as I could the tune o matic on my Les Paul. I didn't need to, B. C. Rich set this guitar up perfectly at the factory. In action and playablity it is second only to the Dime From Hell I played at a guitar store a few weeks ago. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a very durable guitar. I've banged it around a few times and the finish is still unmarred. I've only had it for about a month so I can't tell you from long time experience how durable it is, but it feels as if it will last a lifetime. It has proven to be perfect for Live playing, the hardware is all solid, and the strap buttons are very durable. I do not need a backup while onstage with this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a perfect match for the music I play. It more than outdoes my Epiphone Les Paul. At first one might see it as a beginner's guitar, but take it from a guy who's been playing for six and a half years (I know pale in comparison to some of you) this guitar will work for any level. I would definitely buy this again. Even my only complaint, the bridge, is a small one, as I rarely ever break strings. And I did compare it with the Dean Dave Mustaine Signature, Dean Razorback DB, Jackson King V, and ESP Alexi. I prefer this guitar for the price and playability to all the others. // 9

Metal Master Kerry King V Reviewed by: Resurrected22, on november 26, 2008

Purchased from: musiciansfriend.com

Features: It has a 24 fret unfinished, bolt on, maple neck, with Dot inlays. The neck is extremely thin which I loved. The finish is black with a white Kerry King tribal/flame graphic over the top. The body is basswood which makes the guitar light. The pickups are B. C. Rich BDSM dual humbuckers which are not the greatest but I have heard worse as well. all in all great guitar for beginner metal heads. // 7

Sound: I play mostly metal with bluesy stuff thrown in there from time to time. I was playing through a headphone amp at the time I purchased this guitar and later a cheap marshal stack. the pickups are pretty noisy, especially when you have the afterburner turned all the way up. not a bad axe for metal but the pickups are not the greatest. but like I said before this is a cheap (price wise) axe that is perfect for beginners so you shouldn't expect the greatest pups. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: from the factory the set up was horrible but they usually are from musiciansfriend in my experience with dealing with them. after getting a setup it wasn't to bad. the action can be adjusted to medium at best I would say. I had it as low as I could get it without a whole lot of buzz and it was playable but I normally prefer a lot lower. pups were adjusted fine and the top was fine. kinda cheap paint job but for 300 bucks again what do you expect. one of the other reviews said that the finish was really tough and that is the truth. it's really hard to scratch or dent. no flaws other than the ones I have mentioned. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I played this for quite some time then gave it away to a family member. Everything seemed to hold up and the last time that I was hope I played it and everything worked just like when I got it. I'm not sure you would want to gig with it without a backup but imo you should always have one. the finish lasted. it's like a tank // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said earlier this is hands down a great metal guitar for beginners. This was the first guitar that I purchased on my own and I was not let down. It plays pretty well and the looks will get you a lot of attention. metal for sure. I think I was comparing this with a few Ibanez guitars around the same price when I got it. It was a nice purchase and I learned a lot on it. memories lol... my favorite thing about it was the neck. it is one of the thinnest I have played. Easily comparable to the Wizard necks Ibanez offers. If your just starting out or even have been playing for a bit and looking for an upgrade that wont crush your account then I highly recommend this guitar. It looks great and plays pretty nice. for the money you can't go wrong. // 8

Metal Master Kerry King V Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 17, 2011

Purchased from: Music Villa

Features: This is my first and only electric guitar. The reason I bought and like this guitar is you get the Kerry King tone without tearing your budget in half. It's a 24 fret with Dot inlays which I like because you can get all the high licks you could ever want. It's got a thin neck you can move up and down it very easily. The body is basswood which makes the guitar very light. The finish is black with white Kerry King tribal flame. However, the finish is very hard, so it's pretty strong. I would know because I'm only 13 years old and you can probably imagine that it's taken a little abuse. It's got simple controls for beginner head bangers: volume, 3-way selector, and treble control. I don't know the model of the pickups, but they're B.C. Rich dual-hum buckers, so you know they're legit. It's got non-locking tuners, which I think are good for beginners (locking is a pain in the butt). There are no included accessories. The only problem I have with it is that it has a wraparound bridge, which is a pain in the butt to change strings. // 8

Sound: I'm playing this guitar with a simple Kustom Dart 10 amp, and even with that it gives an amazingly heavy and wicked tone. I play alot of metal and punk rock like Tool, Nirvana, Metallica, Iron Maiden, and of coarse, Slayer, and it suits all of those almost perfectly. It suits about all metal and most rock. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't have much to say on this. The action is low which I think is good. I love the finish and I don't find any flaws in the guitar. I think it was put together perfectly in the factory. The tuning pegs are good and tight, the pickups were almost perfectly adjusted, the finish is great, and the controls are great too. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is a very durable guitar. It's taken some abuse and there's still not a scratch on it. The hardware seems like it will last till year 3000. I haven't played it live yet but I'm more than sure it would be just fine. The strap buttons seem very solid. I would definitely be confident using it without a backup. The finish seems like it will last a long long time. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar matches my music perfectly. It was probably the best guitar in the store for the price I got it for at the time. I've had it for only 4 months now but I haven't regretted buying it yet and I don't think I ever will. It's got a deathly look, a wicked tone, and I recommend it for any beginnning metal artist. // 9

Comments