Metal Master Pack Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 11/11/2011 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: Metal Master Pack
This kit combines a Warlock model guitar with Tribal Graphics, a BCL-10 guitar amp, plus a custom gig bag and guitar strap, cable and picks. It's an awesome pack and the price is perfect for entry-level players.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 7.6
 1,837
reviews (9) pictures (3) 82 comments vote for this gear:
Metal Master Pack Reviewed by: cobain, kurt, on november 29, 2005

Features: USA made, amazing metal guitar. 24 frets, maple, amazing to play with laminated top. Normal warlock body, with white tribal flames, active electronics with volume, tone and 3-way Switch. BC Rich pickups comes with case, strap, cable, amp (15 watt). Now I've told you what it is, ill tell you what it's like. First the sound is insane! Great especially with the amp because you can make incredible distortion (good for Slipknot etc) simple to use vol/tone/3-way. // 10

Sound: The amp is small, but can make a big enough sound if your just practising. It has volume, gain, and edge, with Drive Switch for extra distortion. For it's price, its a brilliant deal as you get all the extras and can start playing straight away! A Behringer vamp multi pedal works well with wah and distortion. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The only problems I encountered was that the pickups were high when I bought the guitar, however they can be changed easily. The paint chips off easily too, which is a downpoint. // 8

Reliability & Durability: On reliability, this guitar is strong, and I would expect it to last for a good few years. I've had mine for 2 years and I've had no problems really. It's dependable, especially for gigs. // 9

Overall Impression: As I play lots of nu-metal (SOAD, Slipknot etc) it's perfectly suited to use. I love its shape, as it's not as uncomfortable as the beast, and it's cheaper. If it were stolen, I'd buy it again because of its great sound for what I play. // 10

Metal Master Pack Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 05, 2007

Purchased from: ThoMann

Features: Hi, I'm not sure wat year this was made in, but I do know it was made in China. It has 24 frets (they are normal size). The neck is made out of maple. It has a laminated top. It has a great finish mine is Black with White Tribal graphics. It has 1 volume, 1 tone and a 3-way selector. It comes with two B.C. Rich Humbuckers (which are actully suprisinglly good). My guitar came with a Strap (Best replaced as soon as possible), 3 B.C. Rich picks, a 3 metre cable, and a 15 watt B.C. Rich lead guitar amp, which has a headphone jack! // 9

Sound: This guitar suits my style of playing which is everything from death metal, to nu-metal, to punk and yes even Emo music. It really does have an amazing range of sounds. I play it with the amp it came with, the amp has a Volume, Edge and Gain knob's. It also has a Grind button which is absolutlly amazing! The sound I can get out of this guitar is unbielivable. It has a great Distorted sound along with a amazing clean sound! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know much about "adjusting your guitar" but I play it striaght out of the box nothing changed all I have done is tuned it! and the sound is amazing. There are no flaws with my guitar I ordered it from Germany and arivved in perfect condition. It's finish is very good and would easilly look the part on stage. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The reliability of this guitar is very good nothing looks like it's going to fall of or anything, nothing is loose, or broken. I would use this guitar onstage without a back up anyday!! the strap buttons are very cleverlly hidden behind the guitar. It's durability is great also. The finish bosent look like it's going to come off. // 10

Overall Impression: I absolutlly love this guitar every time anyone see's it I get compliments. If it was Lost/Stolen I would deffinatly buy again. when I broght this guitar it was a choice between this and a Epiphone Les Paul Special 2, I think I made the right choice. I recommened this guitar for any new player, also anyone Who has been playing for a while. // 10

Metal Master Pack Reviewed by: Spade_SanosukeX, on january 03, 2006

Sound: I play any rock-metal. The amp that came with it isnt that bad at all but I sold it for about $60. It doesn't have as bad of a sound as people say they do. If you slighty bend the neck (Dont try to hard or you can break it) it'll make a small bend sound (learned from a friend and no it doesnt ruin the neck so don't get worried) and it's fun to flip around your body. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar wasnt really set up that bad in the facotry. I changed the strings aftr a while to a set of Ernie Ball which made them sound good and then some Gibson strings which made the guitar sound perfect. The pickups were put in well but I just adjusted it a small bit and it had a better sound in it. I'm thinkin about puttin some EMGs to experement. I havent found any flaws in this guitar at all to be honest except the fact that you better use high gauge strings. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can be played live for a couple of songs. The hardware will last for a couple of years for sure. The strap buttons were put on very well. I can depend on it for most gigs but I wouldnt use it without a backup 'cause I can't stand playing the same guitar durin a gig for more than 5 songs. // 10

Overall Impression: I play alot of metal and alot of hard rock. This guitar is a very good match. I started playin over a year and a half ago. I own a Fender Frontman 25A, Dean Dimebag FBD ML Tribute, B\.C\. Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge, Dime from Hell Wah and a DigiTech Whammy. If it were stolen I'd kick the persons ass thats what. If it were lost Id buy a new one for sure. I love almost everything about it. I like the way it feels when sittin down the most. I just wish it had diamond or cloud inlays. // 10

Metal Master Pack Reviewed by: put_it_on_mytab, on december 11, 2006

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: This particular pack was bought new about 2 years ago from Musicians Friend. If I remember correctly, it was made in China. 25.5" scale, 24 frets. Oiled neck. Laminated top (black with a tribal graphic). Agathis body/maple neck. Warlock body type. Wraparound bridge. 2 humbuckers, passive. 3-way selector with 1 volume and 1 tone. Just a humbucker/humbucker configuration. Standard B.C. Rich humbuckers. Nothing special about the tuners, but they were pretty stable for what was pretty much a Bronze Warlock with a laminated graphic. Came with nylon gig bag. It was thick enough to protect it, but the zipper was pretty weak. Came with a decent nylon strap, but it rubbed my neck to death. Came with an allen wrench, I think. How do you complain about an allen wrench? It had a 10ft cable along with it, but it cut out pretty soon. And obviously, a nice little B.C. Rich BCL10 10 watt amp. Amp came with a little Kustom speaker in it that held up nicely. Then it had a "grind" channel (distortion), gain, "edge" (mid), volume, headphone jack, and an input jack. I think that's about all there was to it. Oh yeah, 3 B.C. Rich picks, too. // 7

Sound: I was pretty diverse in my playing style when I acquired this pack. Most popular genres of music. The pack was decent with metal, but the "grind" gave an annoying hiss that I never noticed until I got a different amp. It was better than I expected when playing bluesy stuff. The amp had a fairly decent clean that went along with the guitar pretty well to give a fairly decent clean sound. Problem was, the amp could be bright, and it could be warm, but it didn't really have anything going on in between the two. Nothing that made it's sound stand out when on an average, default, tone knobs at 5 kind of setting. Now the guitar alone, on the other hand, really exceeded expectations. The pickups were great, controls were great (except for some "dust" on the pots), but the input came loose too often and killed any good vibe I had going when I was playing. I eventually took it apart and soldered it back myself, and it never gave any problems again. The agathis wood gives a decent, Vintage-sounding bright, but it's so light that it can't pull off warm very well, but the tone knob reinforced it well. Alright, pickups. The neck pickup made a great warm Gibson-sounding rhythm, especially a Les Paul sound when mixed with the bridge pickup, just a bit of a bitey twang from the bridge, but with the warm from the neck. The bridge pickup on it's own was a bit too "quack-sounding" (but I think the amp helped contribute to that strange sound). I think if the bridge pickup was just a bit brighter, it'd have some really good Gibson ES-335 sounds. Distorted, the neck pickup made me think of an EMG 85, but with less crunch, a bit more clear-sounding. Mixed between neck and bridge, it sounded like an overdriven Telecaster, which was cool. And the bridge pickup when distorted on it's own was a bit too trebley/crunchy sounding, and didn't come through as clear as I would've liked, but I'm a gain-lover, so that might've been a downside. Great pinch harmonics out of the bridge, and the neck handled pinch harmonics better than most neck pickups that I've heard thus far. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Set-up was actually pretty good from the B.C. Rich factory, I would assume, but I bought it from Musicians Friend, and they tend to let their guitars sit in a warehouse and go uncared for too long, so it was a little off when I got it, but I don't blame that on B.C. Rich. The action was actually just fine, just intonation was a little bit off. The pickups were a bit too low for my likings when I got it, but I think the company put them that way for safer shipping. Bridge was put in nicely, no dings at all. Everything was surprisingly stable for a guitar that went this cheap. But the paint was just annoying. Too tacky, and it started to bubble after a couple months. The nut might've been just a teency weency bit too wide, but I was cool with that. Like I said earlier, "dust" on the pots, kinda scratchy sounding when I turned tone or volume up and down. Overall, it was better than expected from this company, for that price, with those features. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will easily handle Live playing. Don't know if it'll sound like something for a concert, kinda doubt it, but it'll handle the use fine. Hardware's extremely durable, no rust yet, and it's just really sturdy. Strap buttons were very solid. The screws were long enough to hold them in there tight. I wouldn't gig with it because of aesthetic reasons (just not my thing anymore), and because it sounds like something more made for walking around the house playing, but durability-wise, it's plenty good, and it'll do fine without any backups. I wouldn't say the finish would wear off from bucklerash or anything like that, it's extremely thick. I already sanded a bunch of it off in a refinishing project. Now the amp, that weird little coat of whatever that they sprayed on it, that stuff, chips off pretty easy, but it was plenty durable. Again, sounded pretty bad on professional standards, but could withstand anything that a gig or moving would have to offer. The picks broke easily, but just about any pick that comes with a pack is usually way too thin, anyhow. Except for Fender. Those guys make some darn good picks for a guitar company. // 9

Overall Impression: I really play just about anything that a guitarist can get away with nowadays. Metal, bluegrass, rock, folk, blues, flamenco, classical, punk, country, you know, the food groups of guitar, and it really took metal well (hence the name), and it did decent blues with the cleans it had. I'd say, when considering that it was combined with that amp, that it would do it's best in a '50s-'70s rock kinda area. Something where the gain doesn't go crazy, just needs a little crunch to get by. But classic rock is about this things limits, when combined with that amp. On it's own, the guitar could handle metal just fine. If it were stolen/lost, no, I would not get another one. I bought it, not for the style, sound, or anything like that, but for the educational experience from playing electric instead of acoustic. And while it was a fantastic educational tool, I already know that stuff now, and don't need another value pack to be able to do what I learned while using that as my main setup. I loved 24 frets, that was the coolest part, as opposed to the 20 that I had on my acoustic, and I could hardly get past the 17th on it. It was also nice to have the volume of an electric, along with the distortion. It was in a race with a Squier Fat Strat at the time that I bought it, getting this one for the fact that it much more to offer, gear-wise, than the Squier. At the time, I thought it woulda been nice to have a floyd rose, or any other trem on it, but I've realized that I did fine with what I had, and didn't need a trem cluttering the basics that I was trying to learn at the time. Nowadays, I use the Floyd often, but then, it wasn't necessary. It got me off the ground in playing lead stuff, since I had tons more fret access than with an acoustic, and I don't think I'd be where I am today if I had never bought it. No, it's not the rig you're gonna use for the rest of your life, if you persue the instrument, but it's a great stepping stone to getting there. // 8

Metal Master Pack Reviewed by: mikeiff, on april 17, 2007

Purchased from: Morrocoy Studio

Features: USA Made, 24XJ frets, 25.5" scale, Solid top Basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. Bolt On construction, black paintjob with a pretty cool white tribal graphic. Includes a BCL10 amp, a gig bag, picks, a cable, and a 2" nylon strap. Comes with a couple of BC Rich passive humbucker pickups. Volume and tone knobs, 3-way pickup selection switch. // 10

Sound: I mostly play metal, and this axe really fits my tone. At first, I used to play it through a Zoom GFX-1 effects pedal, and I wasn't 100% happy, but then I replaced the pickups for a couple of active EMG's (81, 85), and started using Boss pedals (MT-2, DD-3 and TU-2) and Dunlop pedals (Crybaby, MXR KFK1 10 band EQ), and now it just rocks. It ain't noisy, and it works well with heavy distortion, or clean (I've played bossa nova with this thing, and it actually sounds great). The little amp sounds great as well. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was great, the finish was flawless, the bridge was perfectly set up, everything is perfect, the only minor detail is that the pickups came a little bit too high, but that's easy to fix. The hardware was really well setup, and the frets were all shiny, And still after a year of use, it's still flawless. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for about a year, it has no flaws what so ever, and, trust me, I've bumped it several times and the paint hasn't chipped off, I crashed it against a ceiling fan the day I got it. Go me! It could stand a whole lot of gigs, I would certainly gig without any backup, seems pretty reliable. The only thing that is fragile is the super thin gig bag. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an amazing and really underpriced pack, gereat axe, great amp, great value! I own an Ibanez GRG270, and a Legend Les Paul Look Alike, and this guitar blows the others away. If it got stolen, I would either buy another or kill myself! It's a really versatile guitar with killer looks, and great sound. Go buy one now. // 10

Metal Master Pack Reviewed by: chaosmaker1491, on june 20, 2007

Purchased from: Guitar center

Features: I bought this guitar and it was made one year ago. My warlock was made in china and the quailty is good for a cheap price. There is 24 jumbo frets on it and it's a 25.5in maple neck solid top. The one I have is black with some white on it. It has a wrap around bridge soo you can drop down and make some sick nasty sounds out of it. It has one volume knob and one tone knob and it has a 3-way selector on it. It has a Standerd B.C.Rich Humbucker pickups. It has a non locking tuners. The tuners are Sealed Diecast BCR Tuners. The only thing that kinda buged me about this guitar was that I needed to get a bass case for the guitar because all of the pointed edges. // 8

Sound: This is great for things like shreading or just simply jamming on. It has a really deep sound. It's more of the kind of stuff like Slayer or metal bands like that. I'm using a 40 watt Vox valvetronix with it and the effects make it sound really deep and powerful. I'm also using a 80wat Crate amp with a DigiTech Death Metal distortion petal with it. It really isn't noisy at all. When I bought this guitar it didn't buzz at all and it still doesn't. You can pretty much do anything with this guitar from stuff like Dragonforce to stuff like Lamb Of God or Killswitch Engage // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is good on this guitar. The problem was with the pickups though was when I first got it the bottom pickups were too high and the top pickups were too low, the strings would die out on me but I adjusted them and they sound great now. I had no problem with the bridge at all. The only thing that happened to the guitar when I got it was when I was in the store the volume knob was a little loose. Eventually I turned the knob up and it ripped all the wires out of the guitar. It was a real good thing I had a warrenty on it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will defenitly last you forever. The wood is really hard and the guitar itself can take a lot of punishment. I've hit mine against walls and stuff and all it got were little dents in the wood that were hardly noticeable. The strap buttons are pretty much solid as they can get. I have had no problems with the strap buttons. I would definitly play this guitar at a gig but I woulden't just bring this one I would have to bring something else. The finish I think is average cause I have hit my guitar against the walls and stuff and some of the paint chipped off but for just playing the paint should stay on. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm the type of guy that will play pretty much anything but I'm in a metal band and this is a perfect guitar for me. I have been playing for about 4 yeaers now and I also own a Fender Strat so this was a big step for me. I really wished that I could of just asked about that knob situation before I got the guitar cause I would of avoided the whole wire thing. I would definitly buy this guitar again if it was stolen or destroyed. I love the fact that when I drop it down to C it sounds so nasty and deep sounding. The pointed edges are cool but it does get annoying when your trying to put it in a case. I compared this guitar to a Jackson Dinky. I wish I had the Jackson pickups on my B.C. Rich but I like mine either way cause I can drp with this guitar and you can get any sound. If I was a guy just lookin to pick up a new guitar I would highly recomend checking this one out. // 9

Metal Master Pack Reviewed by: petey gunnz, on november 09, 2007

Features: I don't know when and were my warlock was made but I'm guessing it was made in 2005 and in the US. It has 24 frets and it is a laminated top which actually works pretty well, it's mad which maple and the finish is red with tribal artwork. The body style is warlock which looks amazing I just amazing I love to look at it cause it looks pretty sick. It has a wrap around bridge and it has active electronics with a 3-way switcher. It has one volume knob and one tone knob. The pickups are 2 humbuckers and the brand is B.C. Rich but they work pretty well. The tuners is prob my biggest complaint they don't really keep tune that great but this is only a minor problem. I also got a strap, cable and gig bag with it. // 9

Sound: My music style which is metal, hardcore and punk and it suits my style well. It gives off some really nice sound for a beginner guitar. I'm currently using a Spider III 75 watt amp with it and it works great with it. The sound is very warm and I like that, it's made for shredding and metal. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got it I knew nothing of guitars cause this is my first but it never had any problems I never had any fret buzz or anything like that. The one thing I did notice was the output jack was always kinda loose and about 2 weeks ago it fell off I got it repaired for about 20 bucks and I haven't had any problems since. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would def withstand Live playing I look foward to gig with it soon. The hardware seems all good I do recommend changing the strings right away because the stock ones are terrible. The strap buttons have never failed me even though this guitar is on the heavy side. I can depend on this guitar and I doubt I'd need a backup at a gig well if I had one. The finish is good enough to last I've had it for 2 years and it still looks amazing to this day. // 10

Overall Impression: Me and this guitar just work. This is my first guitar and I've had it for about 2 years almost. I don't regret getting this guitar and I recommend it to any beginner. If it was lost or stolen I would not get another one because I've used this guitar so much I feel it's time for bigger and better. I love everything about it and there's nothing to hate. My favorite feature has to be the graphics on it which are just awesome to look at. When I got this I was looking at many other beginner guitars but this one just stood out so much and I'm glad I choose it. I wish it had a whammy bar and some better tuners, other than that it's a great guitar and a great deal. // 10

Metal Master Pack Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 22, 2008

Price paid: A$ 599

Purchased from: Guitar Factory

Features: Made in china, rosewood neck(24 frets), jumbo frets, black-red bevel finish, original warlock body, wrap around bridge, one master volume knob, 3 way pickup selector, master tone knob. H/h pickup layout, with factory bc rich pickups. Came with a lead and an amplifier. The amplifier is a 10watt, pretty small but then again good thngs come in small packages. Gain, "edge"(overdrive), volume. // 9

Sound: Ok, basically if you like/love metal.. this is your guitar! Awesome quality, gives you that chunky sound also used in Bullet, Slayer, Slipknot, basically all metal. Also it aint bad for hard rock/ grindcore/ metal core/ heavy metal... jus reeeeli good overall guitar. Pickups pretty good for default pickups, bridge - nice, sharp, metally sound, other pickups aren't too good.. too muddy/flat in my opinion, but not that bad. Practically no hum what'soever, and like no feedbak either. good sound for those "palmuted" songs... I own a DigiTech deathmetal pedal.. it sounds sooo good, if I were a girl I wudda had a deathmetal orgasm straightaway! And when the distortion goes off,, you wouldn't believe how warm/crisp the sound is! clean sound good for, practically anything! Ok the amplifier is also preety good, but the overdrive on it. It's either you get the tone perfect, or it sounds like a shit stranded in the desert calling for help, but not too badd when yo uget it right.. and it's onli a small amp,, bout the size of a school bag.. yet powerful. I would recommend getting a distortion pedal. With the distortion on, doing squealies is a breeze.. sound awesome too. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, when I went to the shop to go and get it, (last one in stock woooo), they took it outta the box for me to try. the guy tuned it and stuff. so I guess it came pretty good. no need to change pickup height or anyhting on the bridge, pretty much came perfect! even the factory strings aren't that bad. The action of it is just perfect.. not too flat and not too high.. but more towards the flat side..that's a good thing for those Who don't know wat action is:S.. no chips or dents in anything. everything was strong and sturdy. And the headstock (widow) is just amazing, Fun to stare at for a while. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well I haven't tried playing it live, but when scoo lstarts I'll know. Seems it can hold tho.. but maybe a different amp I would recommend, in fact if ur gunna play Live, definately get or borrow another amp. Not too sure about the hardware but from what I can see, it would last at least a few years. Strap buttons were fixed nicely, don't think they'll fall off anytime soon. And yes I would gig without a backup, definately... prob cz I don't have another guitar XD. but even if I did, I don't think I would need it. Already banged the paint couple times... no worries still as good as new. but it's easy to get those fingerprints on it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly heavy metal, grindcore, some more metal and that's prety much it.. sounds awesome for bands like parkway Drive, Atreyu, Slayer, Slipknot.. yehh stuff like that. I've been playing for about a year and a bit and it's just reeli ncie to play on this guitar.. can't hear the every mistake now and then:) I also own a death metal pedal, perfect match, all I can say. I compared this guitar to a Ibanez RG370DX and the main reasons why I chose this guitar is because it doesnt't have a floyd.. Thank God! and secondly, this guitar is more suited to metal or anything close to it, keepin it metal! Also to a Epiphone SG, just no uhmm not much else I can aske for except a silverblade graphic, but red bevel is still freiken awesome. // 9

Metal Master Pack Reviewed by: wangbow, on november 11, 2011

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I bought this guitar new about 3-4 years ago. Made in the 2000s, sadly it is Chinese and a bolt-on. Its two major drawbacks, but for it being a Chinese bolt-on, its actually pretty good. The body is durable, it has a lot of edges which can get easily damaged if you aren't careful. I don't remember what wood was used in it, but its easy to google, this is more a review of the quality after owning it for a few years. Mine has a nice satin black, with red tribal flames. Passive BDSM humbuckers. I use this guitar for low tunings, drop B or drop A and it works pretty well. // 8

Sound: The Warlock is definitely a metal guitar. I use it for Drop B and Drop A tuning, and even with very heavy gauge strings it can get muddy and its hard to separate the strings. If you want a loud monster, than this is it. I would ONLY use this guitar for rhythm, not lead. I run it either through my 120 watt Line 6 Spider III 2x10 or my 100w Ibanez head/Hartke cab. Again, its a rhythm guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up wasn't bad. I've gotten into a habit of always adjusting the heights of my bridges and pickups for optimal performance for my playing style. The WEAKEST part of this guitar is the plastic nut. My high e string is basically flush against the fret board, it will have to be replaced sometime. I do not gig and this guitar never left my house, the nut should've lasted longer. The other parts have held up well. // 8

Reliability & Durability: You could play live with this guitar, its an eye catcher. I would only use it for Rhythm, unless you wanted a really interesting lead sound. I would probably use this guitar as a backup for an Ibanez or a Schecter. The finish will last, just don't drop handcuffs on it like I did and put a chip in it. // 8

Overall Impression: Its a nice guitar, I just wish I bought something of better quality used instead of buying this new. Trying to sell a Warlock is almost impossible. Its got the looks, but could have better electronics. I'm very visual and I'll be happy if I keep this guitar my whole life. // 8

Comments