Mick Thomson M7 Signature Special Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 02/09/2008 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: Mick Thomson M7 Signature Special
The Mick 7 Signature Special is based on the classic Warlock design and features a Widow headstock, maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, custom 12th fret HATE inlay, two B.C. Rich Special Design humbucking pickups, and a Black finish.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.6
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 Features: 9.3
 11,697
reviews (8) 21 comments vote for this gear:
Mick Thomson M7 Signature Special Reviewed by: WARLOCK00, on march 15, 2004

Purchased from: Systems By Trail

Features: The M7 Special is a Great Looking Guitar with Outstanding tone and sustain, 24 frets 2 special made BCRich humbucking pickups 1 volume knob and a 3 way selector. No Top body bevels gives it a very menecing and quite larger appearance than what it acually is, White trim and a special 12th inlay "HATE". The hardware is quite standard, nothing special with a Tuneomatic bridge and sealed BCR tuneing pegs. The NEck is a very thin very easy to grip style that allows for quick fingerboard movement. Included with the Guitar was a Gigbag, Chord and Signature Picks From Mick Thompson of Slipknot. // 8

Sound: The BCR pickups that came stock with her are EXTREMELY well rounded for Humbuckers, I can get an amasing clean crisp tone for mellow music and when I need to distort, I can and quite well! they are Very Deep and beefy when you have a good distortion effect applied and the natural sustain is quite well aswell. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The Action on the tuneomatic was superb, the pickups were raised fairly high almost to the point of them touching the strings, but it was easy corrected, there were no factory messups with this instrument aside from the pickups being raised too high. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have Thrown this thing into walls and dropped it twice on the ground by accident. it has no chips/dent/knicks andywere on it. strong as steel made to last! // 10

Overall Impression: I Personally am a Metal player, and if your into killer sound and playability for thrashy or fast paced metal you will love this signiture guitar. // 10

Mick Thomson M7 Signature Special Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 30, 2004

Features: This is quite the guitar, with 24 jumbo guitar frets, Mahogany w/ 1/4" Maple Top, Bolt-on neck w/ Fastback Heel, the neck is made out of Hard Maple, a stunning rosewood fretboard with a the word hate inlays on the 5th fret to the 2nd fret with a small hate on the 12th fret. Guitar scale 25.5" with the costom inlays with a radical widow headstock and warlock design that are painted the same colors. The turners are BC Rich sealed diecast. Passive elecronics made by Emg. Thay are Emg 81's that get to be a pain in the ass because u have to change the 9volt battery, but lasts for 3000 hours! The guitar comes with that and has a 3way selector. // 10

Sound: It is great for hard rock and is a very good for punk too. I use a Line 6 Spider amp with all the effects. When u want to rock out hard this guitar gives the proper sound for that ocasion. When u do pinch harmonics, they sound awsome. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up is great on this guitar and all of BC Rich's guitars. The pickups are adjusted great. This guitar has a great bookmached top and properly routed brige. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is good for concerts and will withstand if u dont have the battery die on stage. The hardware lasts I have had mine for 3 years and not 1 thing wrong with the hardware. Strap buttons are good but the one near the neck is on the back of the body. I use it on gigs with out a back up and the finish is a good lasting finish. // 10

Overall Impression: I play punk, and hard rock and it goes great. I have been playing for 4 years adn I own a Fender Flat Head also. If it were stolen I would get the same damn thing. The pickups are awsome their is nothing I hate and I love everything about it. This is a must have guitar in every way. // 10

Mick Thomson M7 Signature Special Reviewed by: gary666, on february 18, 2005

Purchased from: Dawsons

Features: The best guitar I've ever owned! Its is a very dark black with white binding. It has all black hardware, and black BC Rich Custom pickups. It features a 'hate' inlay on the 12th fret. It has 24 jumbo frets in total. It is based on the BC Rich classic Warlock design and features a Widow headstock. I'm not sure what the bridge is called! The guitar came with a Custom gig bag, strap and a poster of Mick Thompson. It has one volume knob and a 3-way selector Switch. It has Black BC Rich non-locking tuners. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of fast metal and slow clean/chorus. This guitar suites all styles of music that I play. It has amazing sustain and tone. It is very good for screaming solo's and also very good for a bassy rhythm. The pickups are very powerfull and give ov a very loud sound so I guess it would be good to play live with which I haven't yet done. I use a little starfire practice amp ad a DigiTech RP500 effects pedal. I think it would sound better with EMG pickups though! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came with a slight kink in the neck making the 7th fret unplayable, but I got that fixed a day or two after and its amazing now! Other than that the guitar came perfect. The pickups are quite close to the strings but not close enough to get in the way. Other than that the guitar is perfect! // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is as solid as steel and I think it will withstand a live show. The hardware is perfect and I think it will last for years! The strap buttons are also solid and will defenatley last! I would depend on this guitar to get me through a gig but I will keep a backup guitar because its silly not to! I don't think the finish will wear off, it's not thin. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar has been my best guitar that I've owned and it's great to play. The tone is outstanding, the playability is unbelieveable and the way the guitar looks is awsome! // 10

Mick Thomson M7 Signature Special Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 20, 2005

Purchased from: Newcastle

Features: Black, larger body than actual one mick from slipknot uses, with a white trim around the edge and small hate letters on the 12th fret. Total of 24 frets. Amazing pickups and quality sounding. Can withstand havy distortion and still make it sound good no matter what level you have it on. Has smooth maple bolt on neck with stiff strrel machine heads for easy tuning. One control knob for volume and a three way selector. Gig bag included. // 10

Sound: My style of music is '80s rock like Van Halen, Steve Vai, Dave Lee Roth and also nowa days music like Soulfly, Slipknot and Disturbed. The sound can cover all of these classes of guitar rock with a sound that empesises all the great quialities like anti feedack and sounds every note you play. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is good, just low enough to tap, to pull off and to play the riffs but also to play chords. You can easly slide the frets. The only flaw is when you are sitting to play you have to postion the guitar over your lap and the only comfortable pstion because of the spikes causes you to be a little too much towards he head of the guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Can say I haven't dropped it a few times on stage but it has still perfect sound and quality. It didn't have anything to do with the strap buttons as they are sild but because of my clumsyness. I would be nothing without my BC and hae ad many wows at it because of its shape and sound. I hae had it nearly a year and a half and it is still in 100% working order and sounds brand new. // 10

Overall Impression: He best match for any guitarest and reccomend it to anyone. The only thing I wish mne ad was the big hate letters down the fret board butim fine with my little ones. My favorite feature is the shape and the head, it just looked so cool and I had to have it straight away. // 10

Mick Thomson M7 Signature Special Reviewed by: bc_rich_m7, on june 05, 2006

Purchased from: internet

Features: What an amazing looking guitar based on the classic warlock design this shreds like no other! 2 BC Rich humbuckers 1 volume knob and a 3 way selector, has a white trim and on the 12th fret it says "hate". The neck is quite thin so easy to play. The guitar came with a gig bag which isn't to bad because not many bags fit Warlocks. A poster and picks of Mick Thompson and a strap. // 9

Sound: Very good sound for metal, which is was I play I use it through a Marshall MG250DFX and I use a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone and this rocks when I put these together! Although I play some Hendrix and Chili Peppers and they dont sound to bad as well. It has a nice rich sound to it so I can be playing some Metallica but then get really sludgy if I have 2. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I recieved the guitar it had a chip in the widow headstock which was a diapointment but its common and didnt effect how the guitar played so just ignored it. Also the bridge was a bit high so had 2 lower that but over than that all was well nd I could play straigh away when I recieved it jst not 2 how I like it also the bridge pickup was a bit high until I lowered it. I got a bit of fret buzz on the D string on the 5th fret but once I lowered the bridge it went away and now no fret buzz at all. Also I had 2 tighten the jack because that came a bit loose afta not to long of playing a few weeks maybe. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will easily withstand live, I've thrown it around and only created one chip on the paint and that's near the neck when I dropped it. The volume knob comes of easily which is fine if u want to change but I don't. The strap has stayed in place for 11 months and hasnt fallen off once! Would I use it wihtout a backup? I would but I would have to be cautious about it so would like a backup just in case anything went wrong. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal so this guitar is great for me when I first started off. I've been playing for a few years now so would like a change Ibanez, Jackson or ESP would probably be my next choice. I only tried it once before buying it and I wasnt as experienced as I am now so I wish I had tried it a few more times before just to get the full feeling of the guitar. If it was lost or stolen would I get it again? Most likely no becuase I've had fun with it its been a good guitar but would like something with a bit more sustain and crunch. My favourite thing about the guitar is the widow headstock I just love that in your face attitude about it! Only problem about this guitar is when you sit down and play it's not bad for a while but can easily slip or get uncomfturable. // 8

Mick Thomson M7 Signature Special Reviewed by: SlipknotFan668, on july 11, 2006

Purchased from: Imuso.co.uk

Sound: I play mostly heavy metal. The tone is just fine for that. I use it through a Marshall MG100DFX. It hums quite a bit but I use pedals anyway so a noisegate is a must for me. The 3-way pickup selector is all it has in the way of tone, no knobs, but the range of these is pretty different. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Quite easy to pinch harmonic. The action could be better, but I play in D standard anyway so it's quite loose. The pickups are very high when I got it. The whole thing is fine apart from the input jack. The screw holes are off centre, meaning that the input jack is too far and pushing against the side, causing input problems which I had to have repaired. This is just a one of drilling error though, I guess. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I played one gig with this so far, it's fine. The lead won't fall out, at least, not out of mine, because of the error I spoke about. Once I had to pull so hard to get it out I pulled the casing off my lead. Strap buttons are huge and almost impossible to get the damn strap on it, but once you do, it aint coming off. I would use it again without backup. Very durable guitar, no finish wearing at all. I bumped the spikey head into a wall and took a chip off the corner, but hey, what do you expect with a fine point like that? // 9

Overall Impression: This is great for the music I play (all kinds of metal). I wouldn't get it again if it was stolen. I wish it has a floyd rose. Also, the strings are way too loose in any tuning below D standard, which kinda sucks unless you want to get it adjusted. It's a good guitar overall. // 8

Mick Thomson M7 Signature Special Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 22, 2006

Purchased from: ebay

Features: The N7 warlock is a great looking beast with 24 frets and a pearl inlay on the 12th fret saying. It has two custom humbuckers which sound brilliant on the three way pickup selector. Although it has only one volume knob and a fairly dull three way selector it seems to fit this guitar very well and I was happy with just the volume. It has faily stable tuning and a fixed bridge. The neck fits the palm of your hand very well and it's has pretty good acsess to the higher frets. It also has the no 7 on the headstock (7 is the no of mick in Slipknot) and it looks really cool. It came with a gig bag and strap (as I bought this on ebay it didn't include any other stuff). // 9

Sound: I am into grunge/metal/hard rock and if you are into these genres then this is the guitar for you. The humbuckers give it huge sound and even through my rubbish stompbox you get brilliant distortion. The sound is very full and is sooooo good for pinched harmonics. If you wanna thrash with fast and powerful riffs then this is just the axe. It doesn't sound as good without the distortion and lacks warmth when playing melodic or quieter songs. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I didn't get this guitar new so I can't tell you how it is as it comes off the shelves but when it reached me it was fine and showed no signs of any problems. This guitar is well put together and feels like good quality wood. all the parts were nicely lined up and seemed in good form. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a rock. I have looked after it well but of course I've had the occasional thump and nothing has even scratched it. The knob has come wobby a few tumes but simply taking it off and tighten ing the nut was childs play. The strap buttons are a bit wierd but are totaly solid like the rest of this guitar. I have played gigs with this and it has never let me down. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a perfect guitar for any metalheads out there. Drop tune this and it sounds brilliant, even with low gauge strings! This guitar is invincible! The only point I'd like to make is that when you put it down watch those spiky bits as they get damaged but apart from that solid as a rock. Not so good for old ladies or wimps, treat this beast well, it bites. // 9

Mick Thomson M7 Signature Special Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 09, 2008

Purchased from: Guitar World

Features: This quitar has got to have the look of metal in itself! The shape is astonishing! The finish is a shiney black flat top guitar. The 3 way selector gives you the option of different sounds which can sound very grunge like to metal to a more refind punk sound. With this guitar I got the number 7 gig back with a strap and 3 plecs with Mick Thomsons signatures on. Deffinatly a guitar for a Slipknot fan! I got this quitar Brand New in the box with the accessories, The finish was brilliant no marks nothing! Deffinately worth the money just for the finish itself! // 9

Sound: This guitar is well suited for 2 styles in my oppinion which are Punk and Metal. The guitar sounds great when trying to create that dark metal effect especially when plugged into a distortion box. The Ultimate Sound For The Ultimate Metal Song. The sound is full on and in your face when it comes to playing with full distortion! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came un used perfect condition, those guys at B.C. Rich do a great job making these guitars! The pick ups were adjusted exactly to how Mick Thomson had his positioned for the perfect sound for metal. Everything is perfect with it I have had this guitar for 3 years now and nothing has went wrong with the guitar at all! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have played this guitar Live a few times, it handles it perfect! Everything is fitted secure and nothing is waring. The Strap buttons are fixed secure and because of how well this guitar is put together I would deffinately go a whole gig without a back up! The finish is "unreal" I play this guitar so much and still to this day there are not scratches, marks, dents anything. // 10

Overall Impression: The guitar itself gives of a look of total Metal which suits the sound it produces, Anyone Who loves Slipknot or any other Hardcore Metal shoud love this guitar! How could you not love the shape! My only problem is it does take some polishing now and again as finger smudges end up all over the body because of its shiney smooth finish, but it looks so cool! and the "sound" is amazing! // 10

Comments