Mockingbird 850JE review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Mockingbird 850JE

Purchased from: Local Guitar Store

The minute I played this guitar I knew I had to have it. I played many other guitars in the shop, but this one just screamed me. I play a lot of metal and this guitar suits me just fine. However, Switch the amp to clean tone and all the tone you could ask for is there. The guitar seems to have a hush built into it when your not playing. I have a noisy set up (my boss noise supressor hasn't arrived yet) and it was silent compared to my Schecter 7 string!

All and all this guitar is a great match for the music I play. I play almost entirely metal (messing around with softer accoustic stuff rarely) and it seems to suit both of these perfectly. I have been playing off and on for 8 years (thank you marine corp! haha) and have 5 guitars now including this one and have owned many more. I have to say that even though this was an impulse purchase, this guitar is definately going to be added to my favorites. I just love the sound I get out of this guitar and how easy it is to play. I do wish it had a floyd rose tremolo and some emgs in it, but hey, I will have that added in a few more weeks.

I have only had this guitar for about 5 days so I can't really comment too much on this section. I do know that it was in the shop for a least a month or so. The finish definately doesn't look like it's going anywhere fast. The strap fits a little weird on it, but it does suit the guitar once you figure out how to put it on properly (used to my Explorer!). I definately think this guitar is going to get better with time, it just has that type of feel to it!

The guitar was set up good at the factory but I always change the settings on my guitar as soon as I get it. I always mess with the action until I get it perfect. The pickups were already adjusted perfectly (believe it or not!) so I didn't have to mess with them. The guitar has a beautiful transparent red finish(as I mentioned before) with 2 lines going down the body(I guess a neck-thru? I dunno, never owned a guitar like this one) giving it a mean look.

I bought this guitar after I played it because I had to have it! Not sure what year it was made in, but it's new so I am guessing 03 or 04. Not sure if it is neck-thru, but it does look that way, it's not a bolt on neck, so I am guessing it's a 2 piece guitar. 3 controls, 2 volume and 1 tone with a 3 way selector. 24 frets with abalone cloud inlays. Not sure of the neck or body wood, it does have a really nice transparent red finish on the body and the neck has a natural looking finish and feel to it. Tune-o-matic bridge style with grove tuners. Beautiful looking guitar that came with a gig bag that you can strap on like a back-pack.

piebot9
    gibson have sighned slash he plays les pauls yeah however he plays this guitar on some guns songs....and he used it when i saw him live with VR...
    Slash has a 22 frets and is hand crafted. they do have one in bc rich dream shop at the moment called mockingbird sl
    Power123
    gibson have sighned slash he plays les pauls