Mockingbird Evil Edge SE Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 03/06/2012 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Featuring a chrome covered brass bridge/tailpiece/pickguard, this striking piece will not only turn heads in the audience, but also greatly improves sustain and overall tonal qualities.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Features: 8.5
 8.9
 3,177
reviews (6) pictures (2) 27 comments vote for this gear:
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE Reviewed by: GnGonzalesjoe, on august 01, 2005

Sound: The sound of this guitar can go with any style. I play mostly heavy metal and it was great sounding for heavy metal. The factory pickups are good for the price of the guitar. One of the best sounding factory pickups for guitars under $500. The main reason why this guitar sounds good is because it is heavy. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar has a great finish, paint job and shape wise. With the shape of the guitar, you would at least think there would flaws when cutting out the guitar from the block of wood. The chrome or chrome plated pickguard is great. When turning the volume knobs, I would hear static noise from the knobs being dirty. Another flaw was the guitar output keeping pushing out the guitar cable. So the sound would cut on and off. Then the metal block holding the guitar output fell out because the screws threaded the wood. The setup for the guitar was perfect. What I can say is that the guitar didn't buzz even when I strummed really hard and fast. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar can withstand live playing. The question is can you withstand the guitar for playing live. The guitar is heavy. After playing for long periods it takes it toll. You shoulder start to hurt when playing the guitar with a guitar strap. It it hard to play fast on the guitar if you standing up and playing. The reason for that is the guitar is unbalanced. The fret board always took a nose dive when I took my hand from underneath the fret board. If playing live this guitar would be good for 2 or 3 songs. Not an entire set. This guitar body can take a beating. The only way to break the body is to cut it with a saw. // 10

Overall Impression: If I had a chance to buy this guitar again, I would. Very great sounding than my higher priced guitars. The only issues is the weigh and the balance. But besides those flaws the guitar is great. I gave it a five, because I'm not including the problem with the guitar output. Because every guitar maker put out a dud once in a while. So for a dud, it was good. // 10

Mockingbird Evil Edge SE Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 25, 2005

Features: - Made in 2005 in China - 24 frets - Solid body - Maple neck - Rosewood fingerboard - Diamond inlays - 2 volume and 1 tone - 2 BC Rich BDSM humbuckers - BC Rich tuners // 10

Sound: The sound on it goes for metal, punk, hard rock, classic rock, blues or jazz. I play almost every tpe of music that I can think of playing. The sound is good and the settings on it are just right. Overall this is a pretty good guitar for practically any type of sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The actions are very good not to low not to high just right for me. The pickups are pretty good but I would say that EMGs would be better even though the sound is still very good. There are no flaws that I can find with it except that for some people the body may seem a bit odd to sit with. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar was basically built for live playing. The hardware will certainly last a while. I can depend on it but I dont think it will withstand a whole concert withouth using another guitar for maybe 2 or 3 songs. The finish is good and will last for a pretty long time. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar most definately can match my style and anybody elses style or music. I have been playing for about a year and a half. I own a limited red and white BC Rich Metalmasters Pack Warlock and a Ibanez 5 string bass with a Fender amp and a Fender Mastertone Mini Amp. Honestly the only other guitar I would prefer over this is the Dean Dimebag Razorback Tribute. If it were stolen I'd track down the person who stole it and make kill them. If it were lost I would most definately buy a new one. I honestly love the sound and confort of the guitar and can care less what all the people who stereotype BCRich say about it. My favorite feature must be the Pickguard. I would compare it to a brand spankin new Gibson Les Paul or a Dean Razorback because I have tried both and they are all awsome. I got this guitr in March thinking it was gonna be like an NJ Warlock but its a whole lot better. I just with it had another version with 7 strings so I wouldnt go crazy for an Ibanez K7 XD. Overall it's the best and favorite guitar I have. // 10

Mockingbird Evil Edge SE Reviewed by: Kid Fisto, on december 28, 2006

Purchased from: Music Maniac

Sound: Metal is all I can say here. My amp is a Kustom Arrow 16 with the effects, nothing huge, but still good. With a little tweaks in the amp's equalizer, effects and the pickup volumes, you can get some nice smooth jazz, but B.C. Rich's are and always have been metal and hard rock. The pickups are great to start, but I'm thinking of putting some EMGs or maybe a Rockfield, because a friend has a Warlock with those and it is even more powerful. The sound is quite versatile, but like I said it is made to be hard and roaring. On clean, the low notes have a clear, hard booming growl and the highs are quite clear and crisp. Then you change it to the lead, cut down the mid, boost the bass and turn up the gain. Add a chorus effect and this Bird is roaring and screaming through the rafters. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came very nice, my only complaint is that some guy tuned it up a whole step. But that's fairly normal at a Try-before-you-buy place like Music Maniac. The pickups were in good shape, but the neck was a little low, but that was easy to adjust with a screwdriver, or even a guitar pick worked. The finish is very clean, very shiny, and looks awesome. There was only one screw loose, on the top end of the pickguard. All in all, though, it's a fairly pick-up and play guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm fairly sure that this guitar will definitely withstand some serious headbanging onstage. It's a surely heavy-duty guitar, just don't try a full-neck bend. B.C. Rich's are notorious, at least I've known them to be, for exploding in flying maple shrapnel and frets when you try that too much. The hardware will definitely stand a lot of use (and abuse). the only problem is modification-it's going to be hard to, say, replace the bridge or put in a trem without doing some cutting because the pickguard plate is built right into the thing. The finish doesn't even scratch when I try (on the back, of course) if it ever did, I assume it would be very easy to re-finish. Just get some super-glossy black and paint away! // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a great guitar. I play a lot of metal and hard rock, so this is a great fitting guitar. I've been playing for about half a year now (this guitar for about a month) and it's still going strong. This is my second guitar, my other is a Indiana Guitar Co. acoustic. The only thing I wish I'd asked was if I could get a tremolo for it, because I can see now that it's not going to work. If it were lost or stolen, I'd go and buy another one, and then buy the Dean I wanted with the extra insurance money. I love absolutely everything, especially the shape and the flashiness of it. I compared it to a lot of other guitars, among them Deans, Gibsons, Fenders, Axls, and other Rich's. I had it narrowed down between a Dean Michael Schenker Custom and this one. the Dean was about 50 bucks more, and I finally decided on this one. I only wish it had a Floyd rose, like the really expensive ones I tried. // 9

Mockingbird Evil Edge SE Reviewed by: Dirt Bag Boy, on november 24, 2008

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: Ok, I bought my mockingbird nearly 2 years ago on clearance. it showed up in a cardboard box, no case, but everything was perfect. It had a nicely painted black body, with the eye catching bridge/pickguard/tail piece in chrome. all the hard ware is also chromed. it had a three way selector, two BC Rich humbuckers, two volume and one tone knobs. Rosewood fretboard with jumbo frets. Mahogany neck and head, with an agathis body. the body shape and pickguard alone were enough for me. // 9

Sound: I play mostly metal and grunge, and it hasn't let me down once. It has a wide range of handling, from Metallica and BLS, to the chili peppers, zeppelin, nirvana, and even santana. I play using max distortion, or none. It doesnt't matter, this thing has a nice sound to it. Pinch harmonics were no problem anywhere on the neck, and speed comes naturally. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was good, pickups were great(despite the brand, which has gotten a bad rep for being a stock) and there wasn't a single scratch anywhere. I couldnt have been happier with it. No loose frets or fret buzz of any kind. and the neck was in very good shape, and still is. // 10

Reliability & Durability: One thing that has happened, the neck pickup has shorted out on me a few times, but it was just a crappy soldering job from the factory. other wise it's as solid as a rock. the finish still looks Brand New. This guitar can handle live, but other people have complained it's too heavy, I disagree. although because of the shape of the body, if you strap isnt good, it will take a nose dive towards the floor. Make sure you have a some what sticky strap if you buy one. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for me. the sound, the look, and the overall attitude is amazing. I've been playing for over 3 years and between this, my acoustic, and my Ibanez RG, this is my baby. if I ever lost it, I would fight like hell to find another one since they are discontinued. Not a bad thing to be said about it, just a mean metal machine. The only thing that could make it better, an ebony fret board. that would be something. // 10

Mockingbird Evil Edge SE Reviewed by: Good_Lord, on may 13, 2010

Price paid: C$ 300

Purchased from: ( someone )

Features: I don't know exactly in wich year it was made, but I believe it was made in 2006 - 2007. Bought it second handed, the guitar was in great shape, it still is after 1 year. Mine has a 24 jumbo frets 25.5 '' maple bolt on neck and the sweet looking rosewood fretboard. It comes equiped with two Bc Rich Humbucker pickups, 1 tone and 2 volumes knobs. // 8

Sound: This guitar suits my style, metal all the way, From folk to melo-death. I use a Peavey Bandit 112 100w amp and a Boss ME-20 multi effect pedal board.The sound of it is quite nice for a guitar you would pay 600 bucks new at a music store. A tad noisy, but a little noise suppression did the trick on it before I switched the original bc rich pickups for EMG's 81 / 85. Has a kinda nice clean tone to it but this guitar really glows much more with distortion. It isn't much of a polyvalent guitar, but hard rock and metal suit it like a glove. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was tuned in E Standard when I bought it, played it that way for a while before buying thicker strings and tuning it drop C. Everything plays nice and smooth, except the access to the 21th to 24th fret where your hand lands on a fat square part due to the bolt- on neck. The shiny black finish is kinda easy to scracth but hard to chip off at least, mine doesn't have chip on it. The tuners do their jobs at keeping your sound tuned, slight adjustements there and there when bending and twisting your strings, but nothing major. Only big problem is the fact that this beast neckdives a lot, even a good strap doesnt't counterbalance it... // 8

Reliability & Durability: Everything on it is rock solid, it's an heavy guitar, but the strap buttons do majestic work at supporting the weight of it, even when dropped full weight. The shiny black finish is kinda easy to scracth but hard to chip off at least, mine doesn't have chip on it. I definitly wouldn't be ashamed of taking that guitar on a stage, it's reliable and awesome looking. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is an awesome guitar for players who want to get great tones and roars out of a guitar for a nice price. I've been playing for 2 years now and before that one I had an Oscar Schmidt with no name guitar and the difference is huge, worth buying. This guitar has enormous value to me as it is my first ''real'' guitar and I think that if someone stole it he'd be dead before he reaches my doorstep. I absolutely love it's shape and the Killer pickguard, the only major con is it's neckdive wich is really tiresome when playing standind. One thing I wich it had was EMG's 81/85 stock on it, it's such a pain in the ass to place the electronics and battery in it. // 8

Mockingbird Evil Edge SE Reviewed by: K!!LsWiTcH, on march 06, 2012

Purchased from: musiciansfriend.com

Features: It's a 2005-06 model. Looked up dating but these things are a pain to date. 24 frets, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. Agathis body bolt on neck. Tailpiece and string through body (personally not a fan). Comes stock with 2 B.C. Rich BDSM humbuckers. The thing looks kicka-s. Most pictures of it make the fingerboard look strangely colored, but it's a beauty of a guitar; not weirdly shaped to scare, but enough for a double take. The evil edge edition comes with a brass bird shaped pickguard which looks awesome. // 7

Sound: It's made for metal. There's no debating this. The stock pickups on the guitar were really really good, especially for the price I paid for them. I've played this through a peavey Bandit 112, 6505+, and various other amps over the years, and its great. I have it set in c standard and have for a while, and I can't stress how good this thing has sounded for 250 bucks. Having said that I switched the stock pups to SDs (59 in the neck, SH-6 in the bridge) and the guitar sounds great, with clarity and a tightness that comes with standard tuning that lacked with the stocks. When you get it right, this guitar does metal awesome. I can also get some pretty good cleans with the pickup change now also. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I remember the action and set up out of the box not being too good but when you ship a guitar in a box, this is to be expected. Action and fit are preferences that can be molded anyway. The way I have it set now, the thing plays pretty damn well. Finish is good, but because of the way the guitar is shaped, its point tends to lean the guitar over and so has become chipped. The rest of the finish has held up well. A while back, something went wrong with the output jack, and that had to be fixed. Guy who fixed it ended up wiring my pickups in reverse (selector up=bridge and viceversa), but that's a repair flaw (that was also corrected). From what I have heard, output problems are pretty common on BCs. None of these issues are of main concerns to me as they were all fairly easy fixes and a little finish chipping on an edge isn't a big deal, especially after 6 years. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a monster. It's heavy as hell (in weight). Its unbalanced and the neck dives. I've dropped it and its stayed in tune, left it in a corner to rot for 2 months once and it was out a little on a couple of strings. Pretty durable. Strap buttons are larger than the average ones I've seen and don't really allow the strap to come off on accident.They have also been sturdy over the years, no problems thus far. I've used it for several gigs and never had an issue with it besides the weight and imbalance. As I said before, the paint's chipped on the edges but only because I have a crap gig bag and the shape leans its weight sideways, making it the only thing to come in contact with something. No problems on the fingerboard or frets. Stays in tune pretty ok. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar is one of my Old Reliable types. I've messed with it a bit and fine-tuned it (still am) but its definitely a great buy. Its awesome for metal. I've been playing for almost 7 years, I play mostly through my 6505+ and Bandit 112 amps. Its not as good as my SG, but I like it better at the moment than my Ibanez S2170 prestige to be honest. If it were lost/stolen, I'd be pretty pissed because I don't think they make this guitar anymore. In all honestly I'd probably buy up for something more expensive and a bit better. I love the way this thing looks and sounds.The weight thing is serious though, a bit impractical. At the time I bought it, I had just started playing and bought it because it was cool, but now I'm glad I did. Overall impression: fantastic guitar for the budget. If you can get it, are dirt poor, and really want a great metal sound, get this. // 8

Comments