Mockingbird Pro X review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Mockingbird Pro X

The EMG 81 and 85s in combination with the mahogany body and neck provide a nice heavy sound, ideal for metal and rock. There isn't really much to say about this guitar, it has a warm, thicks sound, but I didn't really find it to be anything special. Both pickups work very well and will suit your metal needs, they play clean pretty well too, but I wouldn't recommend this guitar if you play a lot of songs that aren't anything like metal or rock.

This guitar is suited well for rock and metal, I never got the chance to really get a detailed experiment with anything clean other than just a few songs but the songs played sounded okay. I wouldn't recommend this guitar for any songs other than the various types of metal and rock. There is nothing I really love about this guitar but nothing I really hate either. When I compared it to my 350 Washburn WM24PROE I felt as if the Washburn offered the same if not a better action and sound. I wish the Mockingbird Pro X was a bit cheaper. It is a nice guitar, but I think it should cost more around the 500-600 price range as I think a hefty 750 is a bit too much for this guitar.

I'm 99% sure this guitar would withstand live playing, the hardware will last nicely. If I were to use it without a gig I would use it without a backup, however I wouldn't really use this guitar for a gig as it is not my style of guitar despite it is a rather nice guitar; however personally a prefer a less fancy guitar. I think the finish will last, it seems like a well build guitar and very reliable.

The action on the guitar was nice, but it was no better than any other guitars I have owned for much cheaper. The ebony fretboard is very smooth and fast, and the pickups were adjusted well. I saw no flaws with the guitar (i.e. cracks, splits, any other physical damage). I was expecting a better action for the price paid for this guitar, but I was left somewhat disappointed, however it was still a nice guitar to play.

The Mockingbird I tried was very nice, it was my friends whom let me use it for a short duration just to try it out, he payed 750 for this guitar. It features 24 frets on a ebony fretboard and a lovely black finish contrasting with a gold binding and gold hardware including a nice gold floyd rose original. The body style is really nice and smooth, something I would not expect from a B.C. Rich. It features an EMG 81 and 85 active pickups with two volume and two tone controls along with a three way selector switch. The body is mahogany, as is the neck. It is a neck thru construction which offers nice and easy accessibility to the upper frets. It features nice Diamond shaped inlays. All in all a nice guitar, set up well and built to last.

link no1
    i don't understand why everyone hates on bc rich. about of gibson/fender elitist.
    Because gibson/fender are 'unique' and 'amazing' desipte them being 'overused' and 'overrated'.
    FUCK YOU ALL METAL FAGGOTS, AH FUCK DUDE DIS AINT METAL DUUUDES.
    STFU dude, I'm a 'METAL FAGGOTS' as you put it, guess what? I play a B.C rich Eagle, hardly a metal guitar is it? Metal up your ass.
    RetroGunslinger
    I think the whole pro x series is a bit love/hate when it comes to the finishes. Personally I find them a bit tacky but new for 2012 there are new ones including a sexy goldtop and cherryburst
    mkozniuk
    I've had this guitar for about 2 years now and I have no complaints. Look at this guitar on paper (specs) and it beats out 90% of guitars on the market. Ridiculous quality for an entry level guitar. Plays beautifully, and the finish and the fretboard, my goodness. The neck is amazingly fast with the satin finish without being "slippery". And the ebony fretboard, I'm not sure I could play anything else now. I bought a BC Rich Virgin Platinum back in the day and swore I would never own another BC Rich. Never. Seriously, never again. But this guitar had all the features on my wishlist for the right price so I gave them another shot. And I couldn't be happier I did. Forget about complaints about the action or pick-up height, if you know how to set-up a guitar properly there isn't anything you could find to dislike about this guitar.