Mockingbird Pro X review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Mockingbird Pro X

Purchased from: Ebay Store

Great tone from the guitar, while I prefer PAFs the EMGs are quite good if I back 'em off a bit. I'm playing through an old Peavey Classic 50 410 and a Line 6 M9 stompbox modeler. Also have a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. It sounds fantastic clean or crunched or on super high gain. Very flexible. Giving a 9 only because I prefer PAF to active pups. I will say the active pups are dead silent when not playing, very impressive. The tone is well balanced with the mids a bit scooped (EMG trait). The tone and volume pots work well and don't suck the tone out when lowered.

I play classic rock so this guitar is perfect fit. Been playing for 32 years. My only improvement would be for BC Rich to make the exact same guitar with a PAF option but if you're a metal player then the EMGs are your ticket. If this got stolen I'd be upset and would 100% have to get another. It plays so smooth and has great sustain. The REAL Floyd stays right in tune no matter how brutal I get with it. The Floyd is a pain in the butt to do a set up with but if you invest the time and have patience you'll be rewarded. My other guitars are: - '92 Les Paul Std - 2011 Ibanez Prestige SV5470 - 2007 Greg Bennet Royale Semi Hollow customized with 57 Seth Lover PAFs from SD All 3 are fantastic and each is unique in tone and the Mockingbird is a great compliment. I had to buy it from an eBay store with a good reputation because no local stores or big name stores had it. If you find one, try it. YouTube video:

YouTube preview picture

While I haven't had this very long I can tell it's one rock solid guitar and very well constructed. I even brought it to my local luthier friend to check out. He loved it and couldn't say enough about the build quality from the factory (Korea). Everyone who sees it is blown away. Congrats to BC Rich and their Korean factory. Now, I can't say what you'll get if you buy the down market $300 version of the Mockingbird but I can say the higher end Pro X is built with great care and Precision and rivals USA Gibson LP Customs without a doubt. I fully expect to have this guitar forever and hand it down to a family member when I'm too old to play. I suspect this could become a real classic, clearly not to the level of the originals from the late 70's but it will be worth something more than I paid in 20 years for sure. In a way I don't want people to buy this guitar because I want it to remain a good secret but then again this guitar is too nice not to share. The Dual action truss rod is the greatest insurance against long term issues. I wish all guitars had that feature.

This is the best part. This is one high quality instrument. It came from the factory set up decently. The frets were perfect and level, no dead spots at all. The Floyd was level and action was decent. I swapped the 9's for 10's, added a spring to the Floyd, adjusted the neck relief, leveled the Floyd, reset action and did intonation. It came out fantastic, very smooth and fast, easy to play. Had I not swapped the 9's for 10's I would have only tweaked intonation and action. I have .010 neck relief, action set to 5/64 on the low E at 15th and 4/64 on high E. The fit and finish is of the highest quality. Way better than I expected. I expected it to be nice but this really set the bar higher. My baby is my 21 year old Les Paul Standard and this Mockingbird is right there with it.

I purchased the Black Burl/Black burst 2012 Floyd Rose version. It's truly stunning and gorgeous to look at. It's solid mahogany body with an ebony fret board, neck thru construction. Jumbo frets. The binding is like some sort of pearl, it's amazing and adds such a touch of class. EMGs on it. It is heavy, weighs as much as LesPaul. For me, the best feature is the DUAL ACTION Truss Rod. I'm always concerned with neck-thru guitars developing back-bow or some other neck issue. Not with this one! The dual action truss rod is the about the best way to insure a trouble free rock solid neck. This feature alone sets this guitar apart from my others. If you don't know what that is, it means the truss rod can apply pressure in two directions where a single action only adds pressure to counter the string tension. A dual action can work with the strings to fix back bow if you ever developed that issue.

RiseAgainst93
    this is the Jake Pitts from black veil brides guitar
    ephixia
    Yeah he has a signature model Mockingbird now. Even as a BVB fan I think I'd prefer the original over the sig. though
    emgine
    Got this guitar for about half a year now. It's just an amazing thing. I got a special one, called the blackburl. It's a real beauty and has in my opinion a better look than the black pro x. also, i can slightly see the wood through the paint on the back. Really nice detail. The sound is just amazing, it's perfect for playing metal and hardrock. I will probably never sell this guitar!
    abinraji1996
    What do you guys think about the mockingbird pro x custom special x3? It's in tobacco burst with gold hardware, and looks gorgeous. I'm getting it for a ridiculously low price. Is it the same as this model?
    grea789
    as Adam implied I'm shocked that you able to earn $7328 in one month on the internet. did you look at this page Great70dotcom
    travisty7
    I love all my Gibson Les Paul's, two mid '70s Customs and two recent Specials, but I always wanted them to have neck-thru with 24 frets and ebony fingerboards and double locking Floyd Rose. That's what the Mockingbird Pro X is to me and with all the quality that my LPs have. I still play my LPs, but my three "birds" in Shadow, Silver and Black Cherryburst that I picked up used are my everyday guitars. I got an Epi Goth FR just as it was being discontinued that has amazing action, I'm changing both pups and all electronics for use at open stages, but it won't replace my "birds".