Mockingbird Special X review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Mockingbird Special X

Purchased from: The Music Farm

This guitar probably reminds you of a Les Paul. A thick mahogany body makes it feel like you're playing a coffee table. That said, it's a beautiful, thick and rich tone that you couldn't get anywhere else. The Rockfield SWV (Select Wound Vintage) give you great vintage, PAF-esque output. I've played everything from As I Lay Dying to country with this guitar, along with Velvet Revolver and Guns to some Clapton. It holds its own nicely in all areas.

I've owned this guitar for about 6 months now. I bought this guitar as a factory b-stock. It has a few chips of paint on edges, but otherwise, the finish is flawless. I play everything from country to heavier forms of metal, and just about everything in-between. I've dialed in tones reminiscent of Vai, Slash, Metallica... It cleans up nicely and as you add distortion, it gets better. I've been playing now and again through a Spider III 75, as well as several effects pedals, along with my older modded Greg Bennett Ultramatic and my soon to arrive Vintage Fender Strat. This guitar is a dream for me. It plays like a Les Paul, without the cliche and the price tag. If this were lost, I would definitely replace it (perhaps with the newer version, as I'd love a floyd). Several fellow professional players have commented that I've finally found my "Les Paul." These very same compliment it every time I take it for a gig, and love the look and feel of it. This guitar has been gigged, several times, and it always comes through for everything. It's truly a great guitar. B.C. Rich makes quality stuff! It's been gigged several times.

This guitar has been gigged several times since I bought it and every time, it sounds amazing and gets plenty of compliments. The hardware has never been an issue. I replaced the strap buttons with Fender Strap Locks, simply because it's something I do to all my guitars. I had almost dropped it from the strap once, and that was the fault of the strap, not the guitar. This guitar has, unfortunately, been dropped. From off a stand, about 6 inches, to off someone's back as it was being transported between gigs. I picked it up, strummed a chord and plugged it in, and have never had a problem with it.

In advance: I bought this as a factory b-stock. There are chips of paint missing on the body. I bought the guitar less than a week after The Music Farm got it, so I'm assuming the action is about how the factory set up. No fret buzz what'soever. Everything on this guitar, aside from paint I knew was missing, is flawless.

Made in 2009 by B.C. Rich Mahogany Body Arched Top AAA Quilted Maple Top 5-Ply Binding Neck-thru Construction Ebony Fingerboard Classic BCR Headstock Grover Tuners 24 5/8" Scale 22 Jumbo Frets Pearl Cloud Inlays 2 Rockfield SWV Pickups Tune-O-Matic 2-piece Bridge 2 volume, 2 tone Grover tuners Black finish