Mockingbird Special X review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Mockingbird Special X

Purchased from: ebay

My #1 style is Metal, but I also play a little bit of Classic Rock. This guitar suits both those styles very nicely. The pickups are hot enough to handle extreme metal, but clear enough so you can hear every note (which is great for Melodic Black and Death Metal, the kind of Metal I play most). The mahogany body and neck provide a very warm and bassy sound, great for Rock and Metal. And although the clean sound is not as bright as a Fender, or any 3 single coil guitars, it will get the job done fairly well, and still sounds a lot cleaner than any Metal pickups (EMGs, high-output Duncans, etc.) So if you play Rock and/or Metal, this guitar is perfect, but only for those styles. Not a very versatile guitar, but it does what it was designed to do.

For Metal, this guitar is excellent. By Metal standards though, I don't use a lot of distortion, and I don't use really hot pickups like a lot of Metal guitar players do. If you are a Metal guitar player and like both of the things I just mentioned, and would like a similar guitar, I would recommend either the Pro-X Mockingbird (if you have the money), or the Archtop Mockingbird or Mockingbird ST. I have only been playing for a year and a half, however I have played many different guitar from many different manufacturers (Jackson, ESP, Ibanez, Dean, Gibson and Epiphone, PRS, and a few smaller manufactures), and have learned a lot from internet research. I currently own an All-Tube Crate Vintage Club 50 (hey, they used to make good amps, they weren't always the joke they are now), Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Line 6 Uber Metal, Boss Compression Sustainer, and currently awaiting my Ibanez TS9DX. If this were stolen, I would probably buy it again, I doubt I would find a better axe for the price I paid. Personally, I love the 2 tone and 2 volume knobs, I love the shape. (The Mockingbird is the most comfortable BC Rich shape for me to play. Warlocks and Beasts are difficult for me to play, plus I think they're looks are over-the-top.) There really isn't anything about this guitar I hate, although I would prefer an original Floyd Rose, and coil taps for both pickups, but that would Drive the cost up. Overall, an excellent guitar, probably one of the best in it's price range if you play Rock and/or Metal. If you play either of those styles and don't have $1000 plus to spend (like most people), I would highly recommend you check this baby out.

This guitar is very solid, and though I have not played live yet, I'm sure it would handle the job. The chrome hardware will last, if taken care of properly (something a lot of people don't seem to know how to do). The strap did come loose once though, and I caught the guitar just in time. I would highly recommend buying Dunlop or Schaller straplocks for this guitar. I would never gig without a backup, but from what I have experienced with this guitar so far, I would say you could gig without a backup, but I would never recommend doing so. The finish looks very solid, it probably won't be wearing off for quite some time.

I bought this guitar used, but it was set up fairly well when I received it. I lowered the action slightly (it was already low, but I like the action as low as I can get it without getting fret buzz). And the pickups are a little far away from the strings for my liking, but that's just my personal taste. For most people though, it would be alright. The bridge was fine, the intonation was dead-on, no marks or scratches (which is awesome for a used guitar), the pickup selector is nice and tight in there, the nut was fine, the saddle was fine. Excellent setup, just had to change a couple things for my liking. No major flaws though.

This Korean-made beauty features Neck-Thru construction, providing good acess to 22 jumbo frets. Lead players may want 24, but if your a rhythm player like me then 22 is all you need. 24.75" Scale, so if you want to tune your guitar very low then you'll want to look at something with a 25.5" or larger scale. This guitar is solid mahogany, both neck and body, so it is a little heavy, but not too heavy. The ebony fretboard, is a nice edition, a bit smoother and faster than rosewood, although rosewood is a bit easier to take care of. Chrome hardware, Tonepros Tune-o-matic bridge with a stoptail piece, which I have never had a problem with. Chrome-covered Rockfield SWV humbucking pickups, which can sing or scream, and have moderate output-hot enough, but not too hot. A 3-way toggle Switch which is positioned for quick switching (great for switching immediately for solos, or when switching to the clean section of a song) As well as 2 tone and 2 volume knobs, which is great if you use different settings for the bridge and neck pickups (which I do). Overall, great features for the price.

Vince Sixx
    ExOblivione wrote: K!!LsWiTcH wrote: MT in Austin wrote: They should have a "step child" line ala LTD, Epiphone and Squire to protect their brand-name. so then how bad would their step-children be? ^This. BC Rich is shit. I'd pick a $400 Ibanez over a $2000 custom BC Rich without a second thought.
    For one, they don't make a 2k BC Rich. Second, you should probably actually play a high end BC Rich before you open your mouth. I've played a Mockingbird Special X, 600 dollar guitar, played beautifully. Hell, my Warlock SE plays excellently. They have some great quality (except in the paint job from what I've found), and they can produce some awesome sounds. Wheras I've never seen a Neck-Through Ibanez for less than 800 dollars, this guitar, and others, are Neck through construction with ebony fingerboards for cheap, and if you upgrade the pickups, they're awesome guitars.
    K!!LsWiTcH
    so then how bad would their step-children be?
    ExOblivione
    dlowe102
    i just got a sweet dragons blood flame top ...its baically a les paul without the price.hand wound vintage pick ups on it sound awsome
    Matt1349
    *Still sounds better while playing clean is what I meant to say. I must have been tired as hell when I wrote that review. Although still not that great. I've been playing clean more lately and I need a more versatile guitar, which is why I'm trading for a Schecter C-1 Classic. I wish I could have both, this for rhythm, and the Schecter for clean and lead, but I don't have the money.