Mockingbird Special X Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 06/18/2012 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: Mockingbird Special X
The Special X Mockingbirds have all the same features as the Special Mockingbird guitars. This thing looks and sounds the part of the metal machine and hard rock guitar it is.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.6
 7,423
reviews (7) pictures (5) 26 comments vote for this gear:
Mockingbird Special X Reviewed by: slowmoov, on august 10, 2009

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Construction - neck through, Body wood - Nato (Eastern Mahogany), Top style - Arched Top, Top Wood - 1/2" Map cap with Quilted AAA Maple Veneer, Body Binding - White Multi-Ply, Body Side Thickness - 39.48mm (1.55"), Body center thickness - 51.57mm (2.03"), Headstock binding: White 5 Multi-ply, Headstock tilt: 14 degrees, Tuners: Grover Super Rotomatics - Model 109C, Neck wood - Mahogany, Neck radius - 12, Back of neck - stain to match, Neck width at 12th fret - 2.062, Fretboard - ebony, Inlay - Cloud White, Frets - 22 jumbo 2.7mm (.10"), Scale - 24 3/4, Bridge type - Tone Pros tune o matic, Tailpiece type - Tone Pros stop bar, Pickups - 2 chrome covered Rockfield SWV Vintage humbuckers (Passive), Controls - 3way Toggle SW+2 Volume+2 Tone, Colors (currently available) - Cherry Sunburst, Tobacco Sunburst. This full review is for a discontinued color of Ghost Black (2008? Model) made in Korea (with a generic case) that I quipped on in another review. (My rating here is purely arbitrary as this is what it is and I did my homework looking all this over before buying it. Also, my other ratings are based against other guitars in a $400-500 range and my Mock ST since buyers may be eying all the Mocks available.) // 9

Sound: My style goes from slowhand Blues to older Thrash using a variety of amps and effects. The Rockfields have a nice thick Vintage sound (for mass produced pickups) that still allow for piercing harmonics when you want them. Also toggle switch is solid and holds up to switching abuse I've sometimes given it. It also holds a very good sustain, just short of my Mocking bird ST and easily equal to or longer then guitars I've played in this range. (-1 for Not having as good as a Mock ST, -1 for nothing's perfect) // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Not sure if BC Rich sets them up very well in the factory or the sellers just do a good job, but the action was good, with amazingly spot on intonation. It also stays in tune. The bridge pickup was in a nice spot but the neck pickup was a bit low and flat for me. Five minutes and it was pretty well where I wanted it. Even as a discontinued model, it was in perfect shape. And unlike a certain BC Rich Bass, the finish was nice and sturdy. I'm somewhat surprised they discontinued this color as it's a good variation to just a solid black. (Keep in mind, however, that Mocks typically have thick LP style necks. This is not normally a shredder's choice, which can be a letdown for some Who like the bodystyle.) Some people don't care for the cloud inlays, but for me it's an interesting variation. Unfortunately (at least for me), the shape of this guitar causes problems with ideal access to the highest frets of the (Low) E, A, & D strings, and good tremolo effect for all strings in that range. Which really tosses half the reason for a neck-thru. And I have long, thin hands & fingers. I'd venture to say anyone with anything near "workman's hands" would find this incredibly frustrating. I'm not sure why (and haven't broken out a ruler) but it's not at all like that on my Mock ST - even on its highest frets. (Base 8, with 2 points off for fret access problems - especially since this is not a 24 fret model which might've given allowances.) // 6

Reliability & Durability: I haven't owned this guitar long enough to give an informed opinion on it's long-term durability, but as I remarked previously it's held up well so far. Everything's solid as it should be and seems like it will stay that way. When I was cleaning it a bit ago it slipped and smacked into a table. Comparative to the impact and imagined damage it only creased the neck binding and left a dent in the neck. No paint chipping or loss of gloss. And the Ebony fretboard didn't give way. Nice. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a really nice guitar. Just not at the price I'm seeing it at normally. If high fret access is not a big deal (or you're willing to force your hand over the top), you're looking for a HardTail, and you're an LP-type guitar fan that's looking for something different, this might be for you. Just shop around, because as of this review there's great deals to be had on the discontinued models (And at that price it is a steal.) As it is the fret access problem is really obnoxious and I'll probably give this as a gift to any would-be guitarists in the family that seem like they'd put some work in. My eyes are currently on the Exotic Classic Mockingbird, which although may have the same fret-access problem, (the pictures hint at it, but like my ST, I won't know until I rip it) the 24 frets might very well be enough to balance it out since I rarely go above the 22nd. But I may very well yank the pickups since I like them that much. (Rating is for what I paid, knock off 2 or so for the fret access problem for sellers asking close to Standard rate.) // 7

Mockingbird Special X Reviewed by: Xpl0r, on november 29, 2011

Features: Not sure what year it was made, as much I ma a guitar nut I'm not sure how to read serial numbers (D01102033) but I think it was 2010/2011. It was made in china I know that much (It says "Crafted In China" on the back of the headstock). All in all this guitar feels really nice to play with a 24 3/4 scale neck-thru design, access to the highest frets (22) is easy and doesn't hurt your hand as much as a set neck or a bolt-on would. This specific model of Mockingbird features a TonePros Tune-O-Matic HardTail bridge and holds it's tuning very well with the Grover Super-Rotomatics tuners. In terms of electronics this model features a 3-way pickup selctor to switch between two Rockfield SWV (Select Wound Vintage) passive humbuckers. The controls on this guitar are similar to any dual humbucker equipped guitar, 3-way pickup selector, 2X volume 2X tone. My particular guitar is finished in Smokeburst which is not shown on the offical B.C. Rich website. This transparent finish compliments the Quilt-Maple top beautifully. The reverse is black and the front of the guitar features a hite binding all the way from the bottom of the body to the tip of the headstock, I felt like there's a really posh feel to it. // 10

Sound: I play metal, and I don't mean Iron Maiden metal (although I do like to play them now and then) I mean As I Lay Dying, Trivium, Dark Tranquility, In Flames, Children Of Bodom, The Interbeing, this mix of Djent, Industrial, hardcore, death, melodic death metal is my playing style and yes those Rockfields blew me away away when I used them through my Line 6 Spider IV 75, So clear and muting them was easier and the palm-muted sound was much better than my old Telecaster copy. I do like to slow it down and and drop the gain quite a lot though. Most recently I've started playing things like Incubus, Weezer, and a bunch of folk music on it (I've been told I have the weirdest music taste ever cause I go from Death Metal to folk music then to classical, then back to hardcore metal). I usually switch to the neck pickup for my clean sounds, I've always found it to have a warmer sound (best with a Telecaster neck pickup). So yeah, I can go from the nice treble happy distortion of Trivium and the heavy distortion of As I Lay Dying to the warm and rich cleans of Incubus and my own folk music, I've been playing it alot more recently becuase I've grown to hate the sound of my acoustic so it's been capo'd and even had Pink Floyd played on it. This is a versatile guitar but It is made for metal. Metal music is where it shines and if you don't get the levels right between guitar and amp for the cleans then you still get that little bit of distortion coming through. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came fitted with .009 D'Addario strings. I had to change them when I got home to a set of .012 Ernie Ball. I've always hated .009's I can never play them properly and with me playing in Drop C they wouldn't stand a chance, I wouldn't affect the rating with this factor because the company can't predict who will be buying it. After re-stringing the guitar I had to lower the action for my playing style quite a bit and also the pickups had to be lowered aswell. Even though I like my action low, it was quite high to begin with, I'm sure anyone but a slide player would say it was too high, for that I say the rating looses a point. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have not used this guitar live yet. Mainly because I have only owned it for 2 weeks and in my current band I play drums. But it seems like it will last. I have never played with a backup guitar before mainly because I only had the 1 guitar, now that I have 2 guitars I may consider using my Telecaster copy as a backup but I would confidently play this guitar live without a backup. It has those oversized strap buttons, I couldn't get my strap locks over them so those are not on the guitar but my strap is staying on very good, I play this guitar hours on end every day and most of the time I'm standing up and I haven't had a problem yet (except my dodgy lead) The strap buttons are solid and hold the strap very well. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is very well suited for metal and apparently I suit the guitar (my friends and my family have said I suit it, like wearing a new suit or something) and I have to say I've always loved the mockingbird shape since I first laid eyes on it December last year. I've been playing guitar for 5 years now and this is my first "quality" electric guitar and by that I mean, my other guitars (except my good bass which is a Vintage) all have either very bad quality brand names or brand names that you have never heard of. I also have a Jackson Rhoads COPY made by Swift, That guitar is now screwed beyond repair just by hanging on a hook, I barely even played it and have been trying to fix it for months because it has a floyd rose. My Telecaster copy is made by Alba, never heard of them, So when I finally got this B.C. Rich I was happy. If I lost it or it was stolen I would buy another one in a heartbeat, But it would have to be the same model in the same finish or the Mockingbird Special in white. My only complaint about this guitar is that the part that sticks out on the bass side of the body, the back corner of it digs into your ribcage a bit when your sitting down otherwise it's perfect. I had to decide between this and an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, I chose this guitar because the store's branch I was in didn't not have the Epiphone in stock, It was in a different store and I was not making any extra trips. I wish this guitar had EMG Pickups, 85 in the bridge, 81 in the neck with an EMG Afterburner for that extra gain boost during solo's, I am planning to buy the pickups in the future but not the afterburner as it would mean drilling a new hold in the guitar. I though of this pickup combination a while ago though, If anyone has any comments or thought about this one please let me know: hi-gain humbucker in the bridge (for lead), Telecaster neck pickup in the neck (for cleans). Thanks for reading, hope this review helps possible buyers, I will most likely be a Mockingbird fan for life and if my new band or solo career takes off I will be hoping to build a signature model with B.C. Rich. // 9

Mockingbird Special X Reviewed by: Thermon, on june 18, 2012

Purchased from: eBay seller

Features: This gorgeous B.C. Rich Mockingbird boasts a: - Mahogany body - "Dragons Blood" finish with flamed maple top - Set mahogany neck with ebony fretboard and cloud pearloid inlays - Tune-O-Matic bridge - Rockfield SMV passive humbuckers - Two volumes and tone knobs and a three-way pick up selector just like a Les Paul - Grover tuners When I bought it, I bought it used off eBay for the price above ($50 shipping included in that price). It came with a white Coffin case and a red velvet strap, too. Wonderfully classy. I really don't know how much more I could ask for with this guitar, it has the features I wanted from it and surprisingly good hardware for a midranged guitar. // 10

Sound: This guitar time and time again makes me think "Les Paul", and the sound is the same way. The decently think mahogany body and humbuckers create a tonal array very similar to that of a Les Paul, but I think the contrast in weight doesn't give it the same fatness found in a Les Paul. It really is a great sounding guitar though; the bridge pickup gives me plenty of bite and snarl when I want to rip through some Slayer or something, and sounds fantastic for classic rock too. I've played stuff by Cream and Van Halen on it tons, and it nails it. It sounds just as good as anything else I've played for cleans. The neck pickup is one of the smoothest sounding neck positions tones I've ever heard on a guitar; I absolutely love it. It sounds fantastic for blues or jazz, surprisingly. It is one of my favorite things about this guitar. One complaint I do have on this guitar though is that, for whatever reason, there is no gradual fade in or out when I turn the volume knobs. It's either on or not. It really doesn't change volume wise, only slightly tonally, as I turn it between the range of 3 and 10, but once I get past 3 or so, the pickup is off entirely. That makes it extremely limiting and I plan to get that fixed as soon as possible. So three points off for the problem of fading, but I will return another point because I love that neck pickup so much. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar had a great set up when I got it from the previous owner via mail. I didn't have any problems with the strings staying in tune, action felt great, intonation was good, etc. I usually put strap locks on my guitars, but I've not needed to for this guitar. I've never had a problem with the strap buttons placement or their quality. The wood looks great, and the finish is beautiful. I absolutely love how this guitar looks and feels. Once again, it reminded me of a Les Paul; the neck is really similar, just slightly thinner. When I got it, there were a few places where the paint was chipped off (but granted, it was used) and on the metal "plate" on the headstock, there was red paint on it. Just barely, more like a slight mist if you know what I mean. I like it actually, but it's still a flaw. So a point off for each of those problems. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This, sadly, is one of the least reliable guitars I own. I love it, I wish it were better about it, but I've had problem after problem with it. I have played it live quite a few times, and have had backups. Thank God I did when I was playing a series of shows, and the Mockingbird was my main guitar for them. About a week prior the shows, my strings started breaking constantly. By the time I realized that my bridge had burs and I needed a new one, it was too late to fix it before the gigs. I went through... 6 D strings in one week I think? Keep in mind we were doing a few hour long practices each day that week, and then the two concerts. I broke 3 of the strings during the shows, and thank God I had a backup. I've since replaced the bridge and no problems since. Another problem I have a lot is that the input jack is not very durable. I have to resolder it probably once every three weeks. I wouldn't trust it to hold up during a live situation; it's given out during band practices before and I don't have such problems with my other guitars to this degree at all. So I give it minus two points for coming with an awful bridge (they don't put the off-brand ones like I had on newer models, by the way. I think they made the switch in '06 or '07), and another two for the input jack. // 6

Overall Impression: This thing looks and sounds the part of the metal machine and hard rock guitar it is. I'm glad I got so lucky buying it off of eBay, I've loved it despite the flaws I mentioned. It if it were stolen or lost, I'd buy another Mockingbird eventually. Heck, I probably will anyways eventually. I love how it looks, sounds, feels, and the attitude of the guitar. I just wish it was more reliable over the year and a half I've owned it. It reminds me of a Les Paul as I've said time and time again. You'd see a lot of the same stuff I put in the features section on a Les Paul, it sounds a lot like one, and feels a lot like one. Granted, it's not the same caliber as a good Gibson, but this is a mid ranged guitar we are talking about. I love the guitar, I just wish it didn't have the problems it does. // 8

Mockingbird Special X Reviewed by: drh1589, on april 06, 2010

Purchased from: The Music Farm

Features: Made in 2009 by B.C. Rich Mahogany Body Arched Top AAA Quilted Maple Top 5-Ply Binding Neck-thru Construction Ebony Fingerboard Classic BCR Headstock Grover Tuners 24 5/8" Scale 22 Jumbo Frets Pearl Cloud Inlays 2 Rockfield SWV Pickups Tune-O-Matic 2-piece Bridge 2 volume, 2 tone Grover tuners Black finish // 10

Sound: This guitar probably reminds you of a Les Paul. A thick mahogany body makes it feel like you're playing a coffee table. That said, it's a beautiful, thick and rich tone that you couldn't get anywhere else. The Rockfield SWV (Select Wound Vintage) give you great vintage, PAF-esque output. I've played everything from As I Lay Dying to country with this guitar, along with Velvet Revolver and Guns to some Clapton. It holds its own nicely in all areas. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: In advance: I bought this as a factory b-stock. There are chips of paint missing on the body. I bought the guitar less than a week after The Music Farm got it, so I'm assuming the action is about how the factory set up. No fret buzz what'soever. Everything on this guitar, aside from paint I knew was missing, is flawless. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been gigged several times since I bought it and every time, it sounds amazing and gets plenty of compliments. The hardware has never been an issue. I replaced the strap buttons with Fender Strap Locks, simply because it's something I do to all my guitars. I had almost dropped it from the strap once, and that was the fault of the strap, not the guitar. This guitar has, unfortunately, been dropped. From off a stand, about 6 inches, to off someone's back as it was being transported between gigs. I picked it up, strummed a chord and plugged it in, and have never had a problem with it. // 10

Overall Impression: I've owned this guitar for about 6 months now. I bought this guitar as a factory b-stock. It has a few chips of paint on edges, but otherwise, the finish is flawless. I play everything from country to heavier forms of metal, and just about everything in-between. I've dialed in tones reminiscent of Vai, Slash, Metallica... It cleans up nicely and as you add distortion, it gets better. I've been playing now and again through a Spider III 75, as well as several effects pedals, along with my older modded Greg Bennett Ultramatic and my soon to arrive Vintage Fender Strat. This guitar is a dream for me. It plays like a Les Paul, without the cliche and the price tag. If this were lost, I would definitely replace it (perhaps with the newer version, as I'd love a floyd). Several fellow professional players have commented that I've finally found my "Les Paul." These very same compliment it every time I take it for a gig, and love the look and feel of it. This guitar has been gigged, several times, and it always comes through for everything. It's truly a great guitar. B.C. Rich makes quality stuff! It's been gigged several times. // 10

Mockingbird Special X Reviewed by: Matt1349, on november 15, 2010

Purchased from: ebay

Features: This Korean-made beauty features Neck-Thru construction, providing good acess to 22 jumbo frets. Lead players may want 24, but if your a rhythm player like me then 22 is all you need. 24.75" Scale, so if you want to tune your guitar very low then you'll want to look at something with a 25.5" or larger scale. This guitar is solid mahogany, both neck and body, so it is a little heavy, but not too heavy. The ebony fretboard, is a nice edition, a bit smoother and faster than rosewood, although rosewood is a bit easier to take care of. Chrome hardware, Tonepros Tune-o-matic bridge with a stoptail piece, which I have never had a problem with. Chrome-covered Rockfield SWV humbucking pickups, which can sing or scream, and have moderate output-hot enough, but not too hot. A 3-way toggle Switch which is positioned for quick switching (great for switching immediately for solos, or when switching to the clean section of a song) As well as 2 tone and 2 volume knobs, which is great if you use different settings for the bridge and neck pickups (which I do). Overall, great features for the price. // 9

Sound: My #1 style is Metal, but I also play a little bit of Classic Rock. This guitar suits both those styles very nicely. The pickups are hot enough to handle extreme metal, but clear enough so you can hear every note (which is great for Melodic Black and Death Metal, the kind of Metal I play most). The mahogany body and neck provide a very warm and bassy sound, great for Rock and Metal. And although the clean sound is not as bright as a Fender, or any 3 single coil guitars, it will get the job done fairly well, and still sounds a lot cleaner than any Metal pickups (EMGs, high-output Duncans, etc.) So if you play Rock and/or Metal, this guitar is perfect, but only for those styles. Not a very versatile guitar, but it does what it was designed to do. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar used, but it was set up fairly well when I received it. I lowered the action slightly (it was already low, but I like the action as low as I can get it without getting fret buzz). And the pickups are a little far away from the strings for my liking, but that's just my personal taste. For most people though, it would be alright. The bridge was fine, the intonation was dead-on, no marks or scratches (which is awesome for a used guitar), the pickup selector is nice and tight in there, the nut was fine, the saddle was fine. Excellent setup, just had to change a couple things for my liking. No major flaws though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very solid, and though I have not played live yet, I'm sure it would handle the job. The chrome hardware will last, if taken care of properly (something a lot of people don't seem to know how to do). The strap did come loose once though, and I caught the guitar just in time. I would highly recommend buying Dunlop or Schaller straplocks for this guitar. I would never gig without a backup, but from what I have experienced with this guitar so far, I would say you could gig without a backup, but I would never recommend doing so. The finish looks very solid, it probably won't be wearing off for quite some time. // 6

Overall Impression: For Metal, this guitar is excellent. By Metal standards though, I don't use a lot of distortion, and I don't use really hot pickups like a lot of Metal guitar players do. If you are a Metal guitar player and like both of the things I just mentioned, and would like a similar guitar, I would recommend either the Pro-X Mockingbird (if you have the money), or the Archtop Mockingbird or Mockingbird ST. I have only been playing for a year and a half, however I have played many different guitar from many different manufacturers (Jackson, ESP, Ibanez, Dean, Gibson and Epiphone, PRS, and a few smaller manufactures), and have learned a lot from internet research. I currently own an All-Tube Crate Vintage Club 50 (hey, they used to make good amps, they weren't always the joke they are now), Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Line 6 Uber Metal, Boss Compression Sustainer, and currently awaiting my Ibanez TS9DX. If this were stolen, I would probably buy it again, I doubt I would find a better axe for the price I paid. Personally, I love the 2 tone and 2 volume knobs, I love the shape. (The Mockingbird is the most comfortable BC Rich shape for me to play. Warlocks and Beasts are difficult for me to play, plus I think they're looks are over-the-top.) There really isn't anything about this guitar I hate, although I would prefer an original Floyd Rose, and coil taps for both pickups, but that would Drive the cost up. Overall, an excellent guitar, probably one of the best in it's price range if you play Rock and/or Metal. If you play either of those styles and don't have $1000 plus to spend (like most people), I would highly recommend you check this baby out. // 8

Mockingbird Special X Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 05, 2012

Purchased from: the official BC Rich website

Features: I don't know how to tell what year it was made but it was made in China. It has 22 jumbo frets and the neck is very thin. The body is made of mahogany and the fretboard is made of ebony. Its a neck through guitar and has rockfield pickups with ivory inlays and is a string thru body. It has 2 volume and 2 tone and a 3 way toggle switch. The tuners are non locking and it didn't come with any accessories. // 9

Sound: I play metalcore and metal like The Devil Wears Prada, Bullet For My Valentine, Asking Alexandria and Avenged Sevenfold and this guitar sounds beautiful and it suits it very well. I use a Marshall MG30DFX which is a ok amp and it sounds really good. It has no unwanted sound at all but there is some fret buzz on the second string it has a very warm and pleasant sound. It has a huge variety and can play anything from jazz to metal or to blues to rock and the guitar sounds amazing with clean or distortion. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: As soon as I got the guitar it was ready to play (just needed tuning). The pickups were perfectly adjusted and the action was low. There are no flaws on the guitar and the paint job is beautiful it is black with a white stripe flowing around the body. The bridge is very comfortable and its very easy to palm mute. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand live playing and it is a pretty solid guitar the strap buttons are well placed and are big so the strap wont fall off I can definitely depend on this guitar but I would never play a gig without a backup. The finish is very strong and wont chip easily but it is very easy to get fingerprints on it and it gets dirty real quick. // 10

Overall Impression: As I have said this guitar is a perfect match to my playing style. I've been playing for about 2 and a half years now and I'm own a BC Rich Warlock and honestly that looks and sounds like a piece of shit compared to this masterpiece. My friend owned a Special X a few years ago so I new that it was a good guitar and if this was stolen I would find the thief and kill him or if I couldn't I would definitely buy it again because it is a perfect guitar. My favorite feature is the ebony fingerboard because it makes the guitar feel very valuable. I was originally getting a masterpiece dragons blood mockingbird but I couldn't find one anywhere so a dealer recommended this to me instead and I'm glad o got this one as I prefer this and it is my new favorite guitar. The only things I wish it had is 24 frets and a case because it appears there are no soft cases for it and a hard case costs about 100 which I not have. Overall this is a wonderful guitar and is easy to play and looks killer I would definitely recommend it. // 10

Mockingbird Special X Reviewed by: swimr47, on january 05, 2012

Purchased from: Beat Street Music

Features: This guitar was made in 2010 (I believe), in China, it has 22 frets and has a VERY nice chunky neck, not too thick though! It's not thick where you can't play fast, but I'd say this is more of a rhythm type neck, when you hit a chord on this guitar, It feels like no other. The fretboard is made of ebony, REAL ebony, not the fake rosewood ebony you might find on some Epi/Gibson guitars (yes on a Gibson!). The inlays are cloud inlays and are pretty cool, but I'd almost prefer blocks or something a little edgier, but they're pretty classy looking. Some people complain about fret access, I honestly don't see the problem here, my hands are pretty small, I get to the higher frets fine, its not really a huge deal, but maybe some players might find it difficult to reach higher frets. It's a solid quilted mahogany top, mine is in amber, which is a really cool color! In broad daylight its very yellowy, but in a darker atmosphere it gives off a kind of orange. The shape is so cool, original as well, Slash, Joe Perry, Elliot Easton, even Kerry King used one of these guitars! (But it was the ST model with the tremolo). It has a stop tail bridge, one thing about this though, when I bought the guitar, there were two missing screws in the saddle, which would hold the it IF there were no strings on the guitar, I'm not positive if that's how all the guitars are sent out but I would buy the screws, it doesn't really affect playability, but it might affect sustain a tiny bit. The pickups are Rockfield SWV (select wound vintage). These pickups are OK, they have good tone, GREAT cleans, but don't get too hot, and aren't high output, can handle distortion well, but I wouldn't expect to get too crazy metal distortion on it, maybe Led Zeppelin-esque at most. The controls are just like a Les Paul's, they're black, and basically in the same places as an LP, a three way switches, two tones, and two volumes. Usually on cheap guitars, the volume knobs suck and you can't just lower the volume on your guitar to get clean tones on a distortion channel, but this guitar does that very well! The tone knobs really only do much when they are all the way on (brighter) and all the way down (warm, less bright). It has chrome grover tuners which are great, don't have to tune up too much! Usually tuners would be one of the first things I would upgrade on a guitar, but this china made guitar comes STOCK with grovers, which are very well known and trusted. They also look really cool and are sort of pyramid looking, as opposed to the same ol same ol, knobs. Strap holders, horrible, I would buy locking strap holders (they're about 15 bucks, but worth the investment), the guitar fell of a bunch of times without the locking strap holders, so that's really the only big downer on this guitar. Since this guitar is a set neck. It is really tough, I've bumped it many times, dropped it, and its not broken, or been damaged at all. Very gig worthy guitar. It's kind of difficult to find a case for this guitar, I have a Coffin case, but not everyone wants to carry around a Coffin so you can order one from BC rich I think, but I have no idea how. This guitar is Great, I'd give it an 8.5 for features, maybe change the pickups and It would be a 9. // 8

Sound: I play mostly blues, classic rock, and Ozzy Osbourne (literally NO other metal haha, except maybe Black Label Society). I play this guitar through my Blackstar HT-5 Head with 40W cab, this amp would be considered high gain tube amp (Gus G of Ozzy uses Blackstar, I highly recommend these). I don't use a distortion pedal, I've tried it and it makes my amp too noisy, the best way to go for distortion would probably be via the pickups, but I'm not an expert on pickups so use your expertise here). I'd say my set up is pretty versatile, but I honestly can't pull Zakk Wylde or metal distortion with this guitar(without it being noisy as HELL). You can get pretty much like black sabbath or maybe guns n roses type tone. Cleans are amazing, very chimey, I would love to hear this on a Vintage amp with reverb. I'd give sound a 7, but once again, maybe pickups would make this guitar better (tell me if I'm wrong!) // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was set up great from the factory, but because it was sent in the mail (which is pretty much the only way to get this guitar, good luck finding it in a store). There was a bit of fret buzz, but easily fixed, with a twist of the truss rod, which is easily accessible at the top of the neck. The binding on this guitar is cream and really cool, contrasts well with the black plastic pickup rings and tone knobs and the amber finish. The Quilt top is really cool, very impressive, not cheesy looking either. Only thing with the headstock, is that it has the matching color as the body, I'm used to it now, but I think it looks sort of weird, and maybe black would be better, but not much you can do there really. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Tough guitar, I'd trust it with my life, no serious problems. Strap buttons are bad, but replace them with the locking ones and you're set. I would never go to a gig without a backup, but if I had to, I'd take this guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: I've had this guitar for almost a year, I plan to use this guitar for a very long time, I might change the pickups (yeah yeah I'm going on about those again) to some Seymour Duncans or something. People need to stop giving BC Rich crap, they are a great company, and this is an incredible guitar for the price! I'd pick this over any other brand in the price range, I own an Epiphone Les Paul, and this blows it out of the water, and the Epi is a decent guitar. Overall, don't be fooled about the idea that you need to fork out thousands for a guitar, I love this thing, and can't wait to get back to playing it now! It doesn't get a 10, because I've played better guitars, but those cost much more, and this is a midrange price guitar, so it lives up to it, and almost NO guitar, should have a straight 10 rating (hint like every person who reviews guitars on UG). // 8

Comments