Mockingbird ST review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Mockingbird ST

Price paid: € 410

Purchased from: GAK.co.uk

I'm playing mostly hard rock/metal (Alter Bridge, Guns And Roses etc an bands such as At The Gates, Lamb Of God, Shadows Fall and others) and this guitar does perform well but because of the amount of controls and coil taps you can get great, clear and bright clean tones.when I first got it I was running it through my Peavey bandit amp and a DigiTech "the weapon" pedal which was ok but I would have liked a smoother sound. I am now running it through a Marshall Dsl 401 going into a Marshall cab and thetone I'm getting is excellent.again I mainly play on the bridge p.u but the neck p.u gives you a nice smoother almost bluesy tone that wouldn't sound out of place on a rory gallaugher album(R.I.P). Again like I said because of the amount of controls on this guitar you can get a variety of tones.

Overall I am impressed with this guitar both as a gigging guitar and simply as an instrument. It is a good match for the type of music I play simply because you can tweak the sound and tone to match what you need, I personally get a great tone and it was simple and didn't require very much tweaking!. I've been playing for just over 5 years now and this trounces the Ibanez, certainly bridge-wise anyway. If it did get stolen I would find them and impale with the ibanezs headstock! And obviously take the bird back! There's nothing I hate about it except that the neck is a bit thick than what I'm used to other than that it is perfect, favorite feature has to be the OFR on a guitar this price?, f---g amazing! I did compare it to a couple of other models that I had my eye on such as an ESP ltd mh250 and a Gibson Les Paul but after realizing that this encompassed the features I wanted from both of them(trem and sustain)it was an easy choice.

The guitar can easily withstand the gigs I've played so far anyway.the hardware is top quality and I've no problem with the floyd at all! Which is a change from my Ibanez(edge 3=useless)strap buttons are also fine quite chunky, you have to remember that this guitar is actually quite heavy(about 8 kg) and the hardware seems to holding up with the Live shows very well. Finish is again well done and does look quite thick so the tone may change over time and use but obviously not drastically.

Factory action was fine, came set up with 10-45 strings which I had to change almost immediately, OFR was perfect, no problems at all with setting it up after changing strings either. Pick-ups were a bit low for me personally so had to raise them a good bit, not a single flaw and was very well packaged(had to be delivered to ireland)cant really fault GAK at all, very well delivered.

Made in 2007, according to the b.c rich website. Assembled in korea, 24 jumbo frets, Diamond inlays, 24 5/8 scale, ebony fretboard, nato(eastern mahogany) body with AAA quilted maple top, neck through construction with ebony stringers. Also has an original Floyd Rose trem system, rockfield mafia humbucking pick-ups(passive), two volume ctrls, one tone, varitone, coil taps, out-of-phase Switch. didn't get a case which is kinda annoying!

tristan_deity
    Who believes this guitar associates itself with Slash. e.g. Do you see this guitar and think "oh thats the guitar that Slash plays sometimes". I want lots of replies please!!