Mockingbird ST review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Mockingbird ST

Purchased from: ebay

I play general rock and metal (such as canon rock) and it suits it very well. I am using a beginner practice amp that came with a 100 dollar guitar, but I have used it with a Marshall amp and it sounds very good. I found that I can get much better and stronger distortion sounds with the humbuckers, at least at the style of music I play.

I'm a relative beginner being playing for about an year now. The only other guitar I own is the beginner guitar "Kalos by Cecillio" I found that this guitar with quite the thick fretboard was appropriate for my large hands and found I play better on it. I bought this guitar because I'm a fan of mockingbirds after X Japan's "Hide", and it serves my purpose well. I really don't use the coil taps or the phase shifts, but that's mainly because I don't play those types of music yet.

Well I've had this guitar for about 3 months and I have been experiencing some problems with the hardware. I usually play at the bridge pickups but when I switch to neck pickups, I have found that the volume setting on the bridge pickup affects the volume on the neck pickup, it is quite an inconvenience. And I also noticed that the neck pickup is initially weaker sounding when switched. The input jack is also wobbly and I have to screw it back in. I take very good care of this guitar because it is one of my most prized possessions, and I play at church twice a week and don't remember bumping it into anything.

The action was pretty low, I had fret buzz at high E first fret. The fretboard kinda looks damaged but maybe ebony just looks like that, overall it was all good.

This guitar was made in Korea with 24 frets, and what feels like medium frets. The body and neck is Mahogany with ebony stringers. The fretboard is also ebony. I got mine as red finish. It has a original floyd rose (which I had to get used to) it has passive Rockfield Mafia pickups. There are two volume controls, a tune knob, reverse phase switch, coil tap, and a 5-varitone knob. I was amazed at all the hardware. It was one of the main reasons I bought this guitar, because I thought it would be very adaptable for different types of music.

Sparda93
    I read all the specs and then looked at the guitar, i just couldn`t understand why it isn`t more expensive?? It should be a real gem, if you ask me..
    Jamestcotton
    I own this ax and love it. Only complaint are that the Duncan Design pups that came with my 2012 model are too trebly. Im swapping them out for a couple of Dimarzio Breed pups. Everything else is GREAT.