Mockingbird ST review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Mockingbird ST

This guitar covers alot of tonal ground. I play it through my pedal board (VHT Valvulator - TU-2 Tuner - Menatone Red Snapper - Fulltone Full Drive II MOSFET - Ibanez BC-9 Bi Mode Chorus - Fulltone SupaTrem - Line 6 DL4) and into my Mesa Boogie Mark IV. It does everything I need it to do. It is not noisy at all and has a very bright tone... A little too bright at times. Consequently, I am changing he pickups to the DiMarzio Breed Pups this week.

Once I get the Breed pickups installed, this will be my main ax. I've been playing for over 25 years and I play just about every style (except country). I own a Music Man Petrucci, two American Strats, a PRS Custom and an ESP H-207 7 string. This feels better, and sustains better, has more flexibility than all of the above. If it were stolen, I'd go out and buy a new one.

Perfect so far. No issues what so ever. It feel VERY solid and it will withstand live playing. All of the hardward is black and of high quality. The strap buttons are solid and are not a concern. I could gig with this guitar alone. However, I always have at least one backup. You never know. However, I would feel just fine if I didn't have a backup. The finish is beautiful and should last or many years to come.

Perfect action. Perfect set up. Flawless finish. Couldnt have asked for a better guitar for the money. Its loud, has INCREDIBLE sustain and does all that I could ever ask it to do. The Floyd Rose Trem is set up perfect. The locking nut holds everything in tune perfectly. I actually spent about 30 mins trying to make it go out of tune. No dice. That is a huge selling point for me.

I purchased the trans-red ST made in Korea in 2011. It has 24 jumbo frets on a 24 5/8" scale. This is one of coolest Korean made axes on the market in my opinion simply due to the neck thru the body construction and all of the great tone options. Neck is North American Maple that runs from the tip of the head stock all of the way through to the strap pin on the end of the body. The side "wings" are mahogany and the guitar has a Beautiful AAA quilted maple veiner top. The neck through design allows for easy access to the highest frets. The controls look intimidating but, once you familiarize yourself with them, its a nothing. The pickups are active Duncan Design (H-103S I believe) and the guitar has 2x volume and 1x tone control. There is also a notch filter (the chickenhead switch), two coil taps (one for the neck pu and one for the bridge pu) and a phase inverter sitch. The bridge is a Locking Floyd Rose 1000 which is an actual Floyd Rose made to spec with the original Floyd Rose but manufactured in Korea. Works Great. No tuning issues.

Engel22
    B.C. Rich don't do cheap all that well, but if you're willing to spend well then you do get your money's worth.
    Air_Stryker
    That's one of the only BC Riches I've ever looked at and thought; "Hmm, that's quite nice, I wouldn't mind owning one of those myself."
    crate_3
    had a mockingbird,and sold it as soon as possible.never bc rich again!!!!
    jmsctn
    Update on this review: Its been about 5 years since I posted this review. Im still using this as my main guitar. Overall, this is one of the best guitars for the money. However, I do believe that my Mockingbird ST is exceptional example of the model compared to others I've played. The right woods must have been put together on this one. The stock pickups are OK. I replaced them with a Dimarzio Breed bridge and neck to tame some of the high end from the maple neck through construction. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED if you need to tame the highs. The Breed bridge is exceptional. Perfect pup for this guitar. The Breed neck pup sounds great but was a bit dark in that position. Consequently, I replaced it with a Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon. WOW! it is incredible in the neck position and the coil tap sends it's tone directly into blues heaven. This guitar still makes me laugh when I play it and think about how much I paid for it. I've since bought and sold several high end guitars and continue to play the Mockingbird ST along with.a Suhr Modern and a US Fender Deluxe Strat. This guitar may not be for everyone but it fits me like a glove. I'm very excited about getting my hands on a new MK9 in the near future.
    Ibeanez
    Looks good. Probably should say "Cort" on it, like pretty much everything else on the market.