Mockingbird ST review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Mockingbird ST

Price paid: € 590

Purchased from: Lookat.com

This Guitar fits EVERY SINGLE subgenre of metal. The 5 way tone switch allows you to get Santana warmth or Judas Priest solo aggression. I love it. And this is without even touching the tone-knob. what's cool is that one could easily get a Strat sound, if one wanted to, with the coil-switches. There are two switches that allow you to play with a single coil of both Rockfield Mafia pickups.

As I said before, this guitar is perfect for any genre of metal. For that matter any genre out there that has electric guitars in it. It is so extremely versatile with all the choices in toneswitches etc. I own all of the new TC Electronic line (Toneprint) of pedals and the guitar sounds absolutely amazing with any of those effects. And you godda admit... It looks absolutely effin' cool. there's no other way of putting it. I mean the shape just adds this coolness about anyone who plays it. What I would've loved is if it had a killswitch. Where when you press it it cuts the signal. With that it would pretty much have every single button and switch one could think of. But you can't have everything.

I have to be honest. The hardware seems somewhat fragile. When selecting a lot between the bridge and neck pickup, the signal on the bridge pickup sometimes cuts out (as in only the treble come through). This although, I believe is only on this specific guitar, I doubt that every Mockingbird ST has this issue. It must be a bad connection between electrical components. Its an easy fix but still, should've been looked at in the factory. Apart from that everything's perfect.

As soon as I got the guitar it was absolutely perfect. No fretbuzz and great action. Although not as low as for example, the ESP M1000. Nevertheless very good. I prefer to have the bridge pickup higher than the neck pickup so I had to readjust them, but that's just how I like it. I'm guessing for someone else it would've been perfect. There were no flaws in the construction.

The guitar is US made and has a maple neck through construction with 24 jumbo frets (5/8" scale). The neck through allows really easy access to all the frets. It has a beautiful beveled top with a gorgeous transparent cherry finish. And an AAA quilted maple veneer top wood. The head is Nato (eastern mahogany) with ebony stringers and onyx (on top) headstock colour and rosewood (on the back and sides of the head). The Grover Super Rotomatics Tuners are extremely easy to operate and just look fantastic. The ebony fretboard and onyx headstock make the cherry red stand out even more. It has pearloid Diamond inlays, I would've loved mother of pearl sharktooth inlays but admittedly that's more a Jackson V look. It features a floyd rose bridge (and grover locking tuners) and 2 fantastic sounding passive Rockfield Mafia humbuckers. All the hardware is black. It has the following in switches: - 2 volumes - 2 tones - a three-way toggle switch (for the pickups) - 5 way tone knob - a tone knob - 2 coil switches - and a phase switch.

IWasMaiden93
    Im one of those anti-BC Rich people thinking those ridiculous shaped ones meant to look "br00talz" are pieces of shit... But the Gunslinger Retros and the Mockingbird ST are surprisingly great guitars. Never thought id own 2 BC Riches before owning a Les Paul lol
    Ibanez016
    haven't they switched to duncan designed pups?bout to get one. they look very nice and got the chance to play one at the store i'll wait a little bit before a post a legit review for this awesome guitar!
    moenchb
    i just bought one today for 399.99 at guitar center i love this guitar it is my favorite guitar gonna switch the pickups to Seymour Duncan pickups. Great guitar.
    jerry.clark.545
    I have one and its a gift form heaven. best guitar I've ever played and I have been playing for 47 year.
    hom789
    Im making over $7k a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. This is what I do, Red97dotcom