NJ Beast Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 10/08/2007 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: NJ Beast
The body is chesswood, the neck hard maple with a FastBack heel, and the rosewood fretboard is studded with diamond inlays.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.2
 8.4
 6,189
reviews (5) 17 comments vote for this gear:
NJ Beast Reviewed by: bennie_2006, on june 07, 2004

Features: - 24 frets - 2 tone and one volume knob - Three way pickup selector - Floyd rose trem system the usual BC rich // 10

Sound: I play basically everything, for metal, it is very capable of anything u desire, all rock styles are pretty well set with this baby. I use a Line 6 Spider 75 watt amp and the Insane amp model combined with this guitar is incredible. The clean however is not crystal clear as I would like it tends to get raunchy at high volumes, but then again its a metal axe man! The guitar does sound good otherwise and the clean is not bad but you know. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was basically up to my standards and beyond. I like the BC Rich tone pickups, they are raunchy and heavy and have a nice rich tone. The only flaws are the body it being so crazy shaped is very easy to chip and u gotta buy a customized hardshell case for its protection(100 bucks!)everything else is in good shape for the past year + so I cant complain, the strap pins are sturdy and that is very important. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've played it live and it gets lots of attention, ppl love this thing! It sounds great on top of it, you can really stand out as much as you want with it, so far everyting has lasted and nothing has fallen apart. I guess you always have to have a backup but I have gone w/o one before, pretty damn dependable. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar fits a lot of styles from rock, punk to metal. Obviously not the greatest clean guitar but im pretty sure they don't make this thing to play light music! I would replace if it was lost. I love the look and sound but I guess the only thing I hate is I feel somewhat limited as to the artist i can be with a strictly metal looking guitar lol. Overall this is a great guitar and I recommend it to any metal head or even pure roker, I even prefered it over the popular warlock so there ya go! // 10

NJ Beast Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 04, 2004

Purchased from: Music Lab

Features: Ok, So far I've seen the reviews for the Beast Brass City, numbnut Limeys and non-experienced players are buying this for looks. - the complicated 2002 NJ Series - 24 frets, thin fast-action neck - laminated top, color black - body and neck basswood and maple - black satin finish - solid body BC Rich - floyd rose tremolo with lockin nuts - active electronics - 1 volume, 1 tone, 3 way Switch - standard BC Rich humbucker coils pickup - Schaller tuners // 10

Sound: Sound is suited for all around metal, has lower sound to all other guitars I've played and played with. I use Marshall AVT150 Head and Cab half-stack with Digitech Effects with the Digital FX in the Head already. Gives off a slight hum when fingers arent on strings, very loud guitar nice warm full mid and lows, with bright hi's. Guitar sounds depend on the player, trem pickup is easiest to do pinch harmonics, and very versitile guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was set up well at factory, the pickups are close to the strings, routed and bookmatched perfectly, hardware oxidized after a little while, not an overall gripe, Switch came loose a few times and so did input jack, I basically learned guitar tech 101 on my own with this machine, especially changing stings with the floating trem. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It will withstand punishment, however anything with jagged points will chip. The hardware isn't all that great but what hardware is at an affordable price? Strap buttons are solid and nice, dependable, yeah it's durable but I'll never go on stage w/out backup. Finish is great, very durable, however I do polish my guitar a lot. // 10

Overall Impression: Hairmetal for those of you who dont know what it is, Poison, Ratt, Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister, Guns N Roses, Motley Crue. Deathmetal (Deicide, C.O.F.) Thrash/speed (Venom, Megadeth, Metallica, Testament). Very good match. I have been playing for about 3 years and I own The NJ Beast, Washburn hollow body Chuck Berry replica, Marshall AVT 150 Head and Cab, Digitech Delay, Metal Master and RP 100 pedals. I wish I asked what gauge strins the guitar could hold before having to be recalibrated. I would buy it again but with the speedloader feature cuz tuning is a bitch when you need to, a tip always have an Alan Wrench. I love the bodystyle and looks as well as the playability and fast action, however the points dig into your chest when you play in the pocket. I compared to Flying V's, Jacksons and Gibsons. // 10

NJ Beast Reviewed by: StoleN GuitaR, on august 09, 2004

Purchased from: Weirs Music Store(Hamilton, New Zealand)

Features: - Agathis body - Maple bolt-on neck - Rosewood fingerboard - Licensed floyd rose tremolo - Sealed B\.C\. Rich tuners - 25.5" scale length - 24 jumbo frets - Dot inlays - 2 BDSM pickups - Black/chrome hardware // 8

Sound: Guitar is made to suit a Death metal or Hardcore type of Metal Player. I use an Ibanez TB100H and TB412A Head and 100W cap setup, with a VOX ToneLabs SE Effects pedal. This is a great sounding guitar which gets great screams and bends. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was set up to factory settings, with quite a low action setting this guitar is great for the random finger-tapping solo. Everything was set up perfectly with no flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The strap buttons arn't put in a place which makes the guitar easy to play standing up. when I installed my own DiMarzio Clip Strap I had to drill and fill some of my own holes to make this guitar neck at the correct height. I would use this as your Back-up guitar, simply because the tuning system is wacked, even with a Locking Floyd Rose Trem. system (floating bridge) is goes out of tune rather easy with a few heavy bends of the Whammy bar, it goes flat quite easily and is a pain to tune correctly without loosening the Locking Trem. // 6

Overall Impression: I play punk, classical, modern rock, Metallica, or anything that I feel like playing. If it were stolen or lost I would buy another, but without a floyd rose system in it because of the bad tuning system. I hate the tuning system in this guitar, but I love the shape and looks from audience that I get when they see how awsome my guitar looks (maybe it's just my professional playing.) If my budget had've been bigger I would have bought a JEM7V(WH), simply because I like Ibanez guitars alot better and the EdgePro floating bridge and trem systems are alot better. In my 5 years of playing, I can honestly say that this guitar is a great Lead guitar but wouldn't reccomend saving up to buy one. Go buy a JEM or a JS1000 guitar. // 8

NJ Beast Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 08, 2007

Purchased from: Music 123

Features: Standard accessories came with the Beast, including the manual and whammy bar. The exception to this model I purchased was the Floyd Rose "Speedloader" feature, which has no tuning pegs on the head stock. It uses pre-wound strings that have stops (actually cylinders) at both ends of the string that fit into two channels. One at the head and one at the bridge. The bridge channel swings up to "load" the string in, then snaps down to lock. The cool thing about the speedloader system is that you can change a whole set of strings on a Floyd Rose guitar in less then a minute. HUH? Yeah, I'm serious. It has some quirks which I will go into further in the reliability section I will describe more in depth in the 'reliability' section. // 10

Sound: The B.C. Rich stock guts really don't do the guitar justice. The guitar came stock with their BDSM pick ups. Honestly, I am not a fan of their tone, but that is my opinion. I gutted the Beast and put active EMG 81/85's in it and man did it crisp it up. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is excellent. It has a very low action and the neck curvature is smooth to play. These where two of the main selling points for me. The paint finish (I chose Black) was nice and clean and the clear coat was pretty thick and had a great Shine. It cleans up well with some glass cleaner. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Okay, a couple of things here on reliability. The stock hardware sucks. Period. I mean, aside from the tone the volume, and tone pods are crap and the selector Switch 'clacks' when flipped. I had both the pods fail within 3 months on a Brand New guitar. Not good. As stated earlier, I gutted everything and replaced them with an EMG act9ive 81/85 set up and it really sounded great. Now, the Speedloader system, a great idea but a pain in the ass. Great because it's a F.Rose, and you can change a string in 3 seconds while Live. But a pain in the ass to get your intonation correct, and it takes special strings which are hard to find and 10 bucks a pop no less. // 6

Overall Impression: Well, this guitar is the meanest looking axe you can get, period. I play Death metal, and am an active musician and always get comments from people at shows on how sick the guitar looks. It is a little heavier then most guitars, but the weight is distributed pretty evenly. The hardware quality are lacking, and the Floyd Rose Speedloader system is a pain, but damn does it look good! There are tuning pegs what so ever. People double take the guitar all the time. Also as I stated earlier, the action and feel of the neck is excellent. Bottom line, I would recommend this guitar with out a doubt, but plan on gutting it and upgrading your insides from the get go. // 8

NJ Beast Reviewed by: blottoo, on march 12, 2007

Features: The B.C. Rich Beast I have, was made in china. 24 jumbo frets, and a solid top body. Black body, red outline, with a maple neck. It has a satin finish,, a string-thru bridge, with active electronics. There's only volume knob, tone knoeb, and a 3-way selector. It has 2 B.C. Rich humbuckers, and non-lockin B.C. Rich made tuners. Includes no accessories.. // 8

Sound: I listen to and play death metal(cannibal corpse, dying fetus, mortician etc) and this guitar fits perfectly with what I play.It sounds best with a lot of distortion, I sometimes use my wah pedal, but it doesn't sound too great. But tapping doesn't sound very good. It can be loud, but it has a lower sound compared to a normal guitar.I would say is is a guitar for metal, and hard rock. It doesn't have too many different sounds, it's a guitar just for metal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The Beast is very well set up. The pickups are very well set up. The bridge is routed properly. The only flaw is strings snap really easily, I don't know what that would fall under, probably a poorly cut nut. Other than that there are no flaws. The pickups sometimes pickup other sounds like watchs. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I feel like it will withstand Live playing perfectly. I've dropped it many times, and nothing happened to it, it still sound the same as when I got it 6 months ago. The harware will last, I have had no problems with it. As opposed to my other 2(Fender Squire, and Dean Vendetta) which I have had many problems with. the strap comes off alot, because of where they are positioned, the buttons are stable, but kind of shakey. I would use this at a gig, without a back up, it can withstand alot. I feel like the finish will last. // 9

Overall Impression: I like playing death metal, which it is perfect for. I haven't been playing long 1 year, and a half, I own a Fender Squire, and a Dean Vendetta. The Beast is not the most expensive one I own, I got it on sale for $289. If I lost this guiatr, I would buy it again, it's that good. I love how the tuning is very flexable, I've tuned it down to G for awhile, but I mostly keep it in B tuning. When I got it, I was at guitar center and it beat every guitar I compared it to. I compared it to a B.C. Rich Bich, warlock, and a Jackson Flying V, but it had more than any of them. The only think I wish it had is a wammy bar. // 10

Comments