NJ Classic Mockingbird review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: NJ Classic Mockingbird

Purchased from: Absoulte Music

I play Hard rock/ Heavy Metal and this guitar appears geared towards the heavy metal end of the spectrum. The pickups are pretty hot, and seem to have a naturally slightly scooped midrange to them. Bass and treble response are excellent. It's a pretty quiet guitar when you are not actually playing it.

This guitar is a good match for heavy metal. I've been playing the guitar for about 3 years and I'm pretty good. I own a Marshall AVT100x which sounds good. I am soon going to upgrade my amp to a half stack. If this guitar was stolen I wouldn't buy it again! I rather buy the B.C. Rich Slash Edition Mockingbird. I love the shape, sound, and quality of this guitar.

This guitar is a tank! You could hit someone over the head with it and it would still be in tuned! The strap buttons are perfect. The strap is nice and secured. I depend on this guitar 100%! I would use it without a backup at a gig. The finish will last a lifetime!

The guitar was setup great, and I probably wouldn't change a thing to it. The only problem I had was the wiring was all messed up. When I played on the bridge pickup it didn't sound as loud as the neck pickup, but I adjusted it my self and it works fine.

Neck-through construction, maple multi-piece neck with walnut stringers, mahogany "wings" to the body, and a laminated quilt maple top. Standard stop-tail and tune-o-matic bridge, BC Rich tuners, and a pair of BC Rich BDSM passive humbucker pickups. The neck is a bit thick, and it has an ebony fretboard with cloud-shaped inlays. The neck is bound, but the binding does not run up on the ends of the frets which appear to be a jumbo type fret. Controls are 2-Volume, 1Tone, and 3-way Switch. I'm not sure what year is was made, but it is recent, and was made in china according to the sticker on the back of the headstock. No accesories came with it. The tuners hold well, the guitar looks nice.

reggie119
    --ESTRANGED-- wrote: lol, first review, under sound: "It's a pretty quiet guitar when you are not actually playing it" erm...yeah...that would make sence. not touching the guitar = no noise.
    The thing i ment about that is the pickups don't have a humming noise!
    kradamek
    neck thrus sound better but u get no customizaton ability at all. thats one reason i prefer strats.
    qotsa1998
    The guy in The Sword uses these live (i think) and it seems to cover their odl-skoolish metal sound great.
    qotsa1998
    The guy in The Sword uses these live (i think) and it seems to cover their old-skoolish metal sound great.
    shae-klii
    Flashback4, learn how to spell 'fret' properly and i'll take your review seriously...obviously you know nothing about guitars.
    oakn
    saito816 wrote: I have it, and it's definitely bolt on
    It's definitely not. You probably have an older NJ series.
    whencowsfart101
    oakn wrote: saito816 wrote: I have it, and it's definitely bolt on It's definitely not. You probably have an older NJ series.
    Yeah, this is an older NJ series. There's this huge argument going on on the NJ Warlock review comments where people argue over if it's a neck-thru or a bolt on. Pre-2006 models are bolt ons, NJs made now are neck-through.
    whencowsfart101
    Reviewed by: Flashback4, on september 28, 2005 3 of 13 people found this review helpful Purchased from: Total Guitar Mag I'm sorry? You purchased it from a guitar magazine? Did you mean you won it in a competition?
    TheD'VyneOne
    I have the one with 2 blue wings. I love the guitar, pickups are fine, not great but you can't complain at the price you pay for a neck-thru. A pair of Duncans from eBay won't break the bank. One problem is the weight balance of the guitar when standing up, the headstock/neck seems to head for the floor, easily solved by finding the 'perfect' strap for this guitar, a lot of grip on the underside of the strap would solve the problem.
    jkill54
    I have a 2002 NJ series Mockingbird. Ibought it new. Went shopping for a Les Paul and was shocked at how the necks on all that were in the store were like bassball bats. Totally bummed! The friend I was with knew off another store nearby, so off we went. Long story short [sort off] found this baby and have been in love ever since. Playing 30+ years, NEVER played anything I liked more, not even close. hundreds of gigs, no problems!
    --ESTRANGED--