NJ Classic Mockingbird Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 10/23/2015 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: NJ Classic Mockingbird
In a nod to the classic B.C. Rich guitars of the '70s, B.C. Rich introduces the N.J. Classic Series. These new models capture the essence of yesterday's collectible B.C. Rich models, but at attractive prices.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 8,528
reviews (4) pictures (3) 22 comments vote for this gear:
NJ Classic Mockingbird Reviewed by: Flashback4, on september 28, 2005

Purchased from: Total Guitar Mag

Features: This Guitar is a special edition BC Rich NJ Classic Series from Korea. This Mockingbird has lots of pottential and will be in handy untill you become pro. The Mockingbird has been around since the '70s and still the hots today with slash and acey slade of Guns N' Roses and Murderdolls using Mockingbird styles. It has a 24 ebony thretboard with a cloud sort of feature on some of the threts. The guitar is a orange/yellow sort of tan wood colour, Which i think is most spectacular colour iv'e ever seen in my life. It has a mahogany body along with a sleek maple top. // 10

Sound: The Mockingbird is mainly for like headbanger e.g. Kerry King of Slayer and Mick Thonpson of Slipknot. It has 2 humbuckers set with a beefy tone as standard with any Mockingbird and it deals particularly well with the classic distortion. It can be a light sound a heavy sound or like a middle class sound. It also has quite a lot of variety in the guitar, but mainly for headbangers. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is well fixed up. There is a bolt on the neck for its secureness. All I can say really is that its a perfectly stable buy. The manafacturer Is very good so there would be no problems of it coming loose here and then. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Yes I think it could withstand a gig. Of course this is for headbangers and you will be jumping around anyway, so course it will be able to last for long. The strap buttons are very solid. // 9

Overall Impression: I play all sorts, but mainy rock. It looks great, acts great, a great shape and a good sound. I can't stop playing it because basically I have fell in love with it. Well it's true as soon as you see it your eyes will melt. 1 thing that I have to say more than anything else is the look and colour. It's jus brillant. Also The sound is an amazing sound. It's very stable and will not fall apart. This is a must buy product. // 9

NJ Classic Mockingbird Reviewed by: reggie119, on august 18, 2007

Purchased from: Absoulte Music

Features: Neck-through construction, maple multi-piece neck with walnut stringers, mahogany "wings" to the body, and a laminated quilt maple top. Standard stop-tail and tune-o-matic bridge, BC Rich tuners, and a pair of BC Rich BDSM passive humbucker pickups. The neck is a bit thick, and it has an ebony fretboard with cloud-shaped inlays. The neck is bound, but the binding does not run up on the ends of the frets which appear to be a jumbo type fret. Controls are 2-Volume, 1Tone, and 3-way Switch. I'm not sure what year is was made, but it is recent, and was made in china according to the sticker on the back of the headstock. No accesories came with it. The tuners hold well, the guitar looks nice. // 10

Sound: I play Hard rock/ Heavy Metal and this guitar appears geared towards the heavy metal end of the spectrum. The pickups are pretty hot, and seem to have a naturally slightly scooped midrange to them. Bass and treble response are excellent. It's a pretty quiet guitar when you are not actually playing it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup great, and I probably wouldn't change a thing to it. The only problem I had was the wiring was all messed up. When I played on the bridge pickup it didn't sound as loud as the neck pickup, but I adjusted it my self and it works fine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a tank! You could hit someone over the head with it and it would still be in tuned! The strap buttons are perfect. The strap is nice and secured. I depend on this guitar 100%! I would use it without a backup at a gig. The finish will last a lifetime! // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a good match for heavy metal. I've been playing the guitar for about 3 years and I'm pretty good. I own a Marshall AVT100x which sounds good. I am soon going to upgrade my amp to a half stack. If this guitar was stolen I wouldn't buy it again! I rather buy the B.C. Rich Slash Edition Mockingbird. I love the shape, sound, and quality of this guitar. // 10

NJ Classic Mockingbird Reviewed by: Sho_Me, on november 19, 2010

Purchased from: some dude

Features: I'm not sure when it was made but it was made in Korea. Neck-Thru, 24 fret maple neck, Mahogany sides and a thick maple top. Two B.C. Rich humbuckers, two volume and one tone. Stopbar and Tail piece along with B.C. Rich locking tuners. Note: I'm reviewing the natural Bich version of this guitar. // 10

Sound: My main tuning is Standard, but for the sake of this review I tuned down many steps and tested it. For those Standard tuning dudes this guitar is a real rockin guitar, the sound is compairable to the Gibson Les Paul. The pickups are hot, but not to hot, kinda like a Dimarzio, They clean up really well, even on the bridge position you can get a nice tone. When flipping to distortion you can really whale on this thing, soloing is flawless and rifting can get really mean. For the drop tuners out there however, you may want to get some pickups that can handle droped tuning (perferably active). When dropping down the pickups get really mucky. So I can't help out all you dudes. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I found nothing wrong with it. All I did was lower the action a little, but other than that it was fine. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Man, if I droped this thing it would still be perfect, I depend on it 100%. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, I play Santana, to Jeff Beck, to Led Zepplin, to Metallica, to Lamb Of God, all of these are achievable on this guitar all stock. The Heel-less neck joint really helps make the upper fret access really easy on your hands. If I lost it I'd probly buy a more high dollar USA made one. But, if you want a solid guitar that'll murder a Les Paul, buy it. // 10

NJ Classic Mockingbird Reviewed by: EasyMucy, on october 23, 2015

Features: This is a Korean made, 24 jumbo frets, neckthrough, clear lacquer. I only got a leather strap with it, the guy actually paid me some money as my guitar was more expensive. The guitar doesn't have its original pickups, they are Seymour Duncan, I guess Pearly Gates. The restis original as described by other reviewers. Considering the deal, the money I earned, the guitar I got, the price of there guitars on market, I got a good deal, but don't know if I'd be prepared to pay 500 euros for it. It's quality is comparable to Epiphones, so I'd say it's a 350 euro guitar. But very well made. // 9

Sound: I use it mostly for rock, blues and hard rock, using a simple 5W tube Epiphone amp and Lorantz speaker. It sounds like a bird of two worlds. On the bridge position it wants to be a Gibson, on the neck it wants to be a Strat. So I can make it roar like an SG and with a flick of the switch, sound totally acoustic if I want. It doesn't need effects. Only for hardest of rock, a touch of a Overdrive preamp to make it louder. Very impressed. VERY. Also the fact that the guitar is basically one piece of wood, makes all the difference - you can really feel the vibration going through your instrument and the pickups really PICK UP that deepness and soft resonation of the woodwork. Excellent. I'll never again buy a bold-on guitar. NEVER EVER. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Typical Korean thing: excellent woodwork, quality finish, the guitar sounds and plays great, but the electrics was SHIT. So I had everything rewired and soldered and now it works like a dream. And exactly like the Korean Epiphone, this Korean Mockingbird suffers from the same stupid engineering error: the cable jack tends to unwind itself and fall apart, no matter how tight you tighten the bolt. It just comes loose all the time. I don't know what the original pickups were like, but if they were Korean, them must have been pretty much like Epiphone's stuff, so I guess 100% better than no-name Chinese stuff but also 50% less of what you really want. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar doesn't detune AT ALL, whatever you do it stays reliable. Just watch out for that cable jack. It doesn't need straplocks, the buttons are positioned very well. The only thing is that it is neck-heavy. Not much, but enough to notice and to make you hold it all the time. Also, you need a longer strap than usual. I use 135 cm strap on my other guitar, the Flying V, and it stands in PERFECT position, while Mockingbird is too high, so I need a 140 cm strap to have my right hand in perfect position while keeping the neck nicely closer to my face. And since it is neck heavy, you really have to HOLD it there, otherwise it wants to go down like a punk guitar. Once you have everything balanced, maybe with a nice wide strap which has more grip on your body to keep it straight - this is my weapon of choice for stage performance. // 9

Overall Impression: It's an excellent rock 'n' roll guitar. Playing it is relaxing, I like the jumbo frets, my left hand hurts less than with other guitars I have. The neck is not thin, not thick, not wide not narrow, somewhere in between. It's a bird of two worlds. I enjoy playing it as a rhythm guitar, holding keys is a relaxing thing. And also for my simple solos that are no Clapton, but still demanding, it is easy to play. To be more of a solo guitar one would need a pickguard or something else to lean on, this one is more SHOW than GO. I'd say it's a great all-rounder guitar, a Swiss army knife of guitars - it has everything but nothing GREAT. It can be a good solo guitar, a good rhythm guitar, a good rocker, it can give you acoustic sound, it can give you Strat sound, even if the amp is switched off, it is still quite loud for practicing at home. It's a must-have guitar for practicing and a great live performance guitar if you play versatile roles in your band and don't want to have 5 different guitars waiting for you on stage. So as far as versatility goes - this is the best guitar I have ever had. As far as perfectionism goes - there is none. // 9

Comments