NJ Warlock review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: NJ Warlock

Purchased from: eBay

I play in a thrash metal band. Our biggest influences are Slayer, Death, Exodus, Pantera, and Megadeth, and this guitar works great if you are playing songs from any of those bands, or similiar bands. I only tune to drop D, but if you tune lower I'm sure you could get some nice brutal death (Dying Fetus, Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation, etc.) metal sounds from it. For these sounds I use a 40 watt Crate amp with a DigiTech RP50 and (of course) the gain knob up at 10. When played clean with both humbuckers on, I can get a sort of Led Zeppelin-ish classic rock style sound. With the right effects and settings, it's possible to get a bluesy or jazzy sound as well. No country, though. As I said before, though, some EMGs or Duncans will make this guitar's sound 100 times better.

As stated before my band and myself play thrash metal, and this guitar works perfectly for that, as well as other metal styles. I've been playing for about two years, and I own a Washburn WI64 along with this guitar. I prefer this guitar to my Washburn because of the Floyd Rose and the extra frets. The only thing I like more on my Washburn are the pickups, but I'm going to replace the ones on this guitar anyway. If someone were to steal this, I would buy another if I could find one. Since BC Rich doesn't manufacture this guitar anymore, if I couldn't find another used one, I'd go for an NT series Warlock (basically this guitar but with neck-through construction and an original Floyd Rose Original already installed). There is nothing about this guitar I hate, I love the neck and, of course, the awesome shape. The pickups, as stated before, are allright, but they're not amazing. This guitar is awesome, but it isn't perfect. Once I get a Floyd Rose Original and a Dimebucker for the bridge, though, it will be.

I have not yet used this guitar Live yet, but if I did I'm sure I would have no problems. But if you're playing Live with any guitar (especially one with Floyd Rose) and have even an ounce of common sense, you'll bring a backup. I did bring this guitar to my youth group once to jam with another guitarist that goes there, and it survived the trip there and back. The finish is nice, so far I have no cracks or scratches, although fingerprints show up easily. But if you have the money to buy this guitar, I'm sure you have enough money to buy a damn cloth.

First of all, this guitars action is amazing. Whether you're playing the heaviest riff known to man, or shredding your balls off, this guitar will feel perfect in your hands. I don't know if the guy I bought this from adjusted the action to make it this awesome, or if BC Rich is just cool like that, but I don't really care. When I got it, the bridge pickup was missing one screw, and the other screw was very loose, so the whole pickup wobbled around all the time. I found the missing screw in the gig bag it came in, and fixed the pickup as well as raised it so it's closer to the strings. The bridge was set up well. After I replaced the old, rusty strings on it with some new ones (DR Tite Fit.10's) and tuned it it was slightly tilted, but I fixed that without problems.

24 Xtra Jumbo frets, mahagony body (I think), rosewood fretboard, black finish, floyd rose liscenced tremolo, two tone and one volume knobs, two BC Rich humbuckers, BC Rich machine heads. The guy I bought it from threw in a gig bag, a strap, and a couple picks. I have since lost the latter two. The extra jumbo frets are nice and comfortable, the fretboard plays very smoothly. The neck isn't Ultra-thin like an Ibanez, but it's not a baseball bat either. Bottom line is, it's quite comfortable. The entire guitar is a little heavy, but as long as you aren't some shrimpy little emo kid or anything, you can probably handle it. The floyd is okay, it's hard to set up but once you do (and do it right) it does what it's supposed to. However, I'd suggest getting a Floyd Rose Original, because those are friggin' amazing tremolo systems. The humbuckers are decent, but if you have the money get some EMGs or Duncans installed. The machine heads are decent as well, but since it has a locking nut it's not like those are that big of a deal.

AllOpenStrings
    this is a ton of help as to whether or not it should be purchased..... write something about the god damn instrument
    ikarian-pride
    honnestly dudes talk about the guitar it sounds pretty wicked im considering to buy this one over any other guitar
    Nicoles
    I can't be bothered writing a review, but i have a trans red 2005 NJ warlock with the speedloader. I kind of regret getting a speedloader as i have a phobia about not being able to get strings in the future. Also the fine tuning range is a pain. Having to use an allen key when they go out of range is rough (especially since it's the one key they don't provide in the key bag) That said you can abuse the hell out of the tremolo and it just will not go out of tune, strings are cake to change. Just need some better pickups and ill be quite happy with it.