NJ Warlock Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 11/18/2008 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: NJ Warlock
BC Rich designed the aggressive Warlock for guitarists just like you. With its bewitching body and wicked Widow headstock, there is nothing like the Warlock.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.1
 9,445
reviews (9) 21 comments vote for this gear:
NJ Warlock Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 29, 2005

Purchased from: Music 123

Features: This is a brand new 2005 NJ Warlock in translucent black. It has 24 frets, 25.5" scale, and is a bolt-on neck with almost no heel (the heel is below the 21st fret). The translucent black on the quilted top is amazing in person. No picture can do it justice. Two reasonably hot humbuckers make this guitar great for metal and hard rock. The floyd rose, while a pain in the butt to get set-up properly, works near flawlessly when it does. The tuners are I believe BC Rich grover rip-offs, but they do an okay job. Really smooth to turn, and the Locking Nut does its job. // 10

Sound: I play pretty much anything and this Warlock can too. Even though this guitar is made for metal, the neck pickup is great for warm clean sounds (although it can't compare to a Gibson Les Paul or even a Fender Tele). If you know half as much as you should for buying a guitar like this, you better be able to get this thing set up for any genre of music. If you can't, that's not the guitars problem. That's your own inexperience. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The only problem here is not the guitars fault, it's the people who made the floyd rose. As with any floating trem, the first few string changes and tunings will be interesting. Action was decent out of the box - lower than anything sitting on the shelves at your local guitar shop. It's a little higher than my Kramer Baretta, even higher than that of a Bronze Warlock, but there is no fret buzz except at the 15th-19th fret on the high E string (which is bad for us lead players). But, having gotten the truss rod slightly adjusted and the bridge to float perfectly, the buzz went away and it plays silky smooth. Love the feel of the neck and fingerboard. Frets were filed perfectly, everything. Good job, BC Rich! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have only had the oppurtunity to gig with this guitar once. As a rule of thumb, bring a backup! If a string breaks on this floyd, you're screwed. Don't plan on changing strings quickly. This guitar will hold, just don't go abusing it like a retarded 9th grade garage band would (I know, I thrashed the shit out of my old Bronze Warlock in high school, and, to my surprise, it didn't hold out). As long as you know this guitar well, you can gig with it, sure. But, the pickups aren't amazingly hot, but they'll do until you can drop in some decent DiMarzio's or something of that sort. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar, once again, can play any genre as long as you know what you're doing and know how to set up an amp's EQ. I use it through a Line 6 HD147 with 2 Marshall 1960A Cabs and it does the job for metal and '80s hard rock. Don't really play much of anything else, but it can do the clean guitar in "one" very nicely. Highly recommended for the guitar player who has enough experience to use what this axe is capable of and is willing to expand their creative possibilities. When you are, this Warlock will be waiting for you. // 10

NJ Warlock Reviewed by: Gab_Chris, on july 02, 2007

Purchased from: emf musique

Sound: I'm the lead guitarist type and I play anything from classic rock (scopions, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, acdc, Queen) to power metal (Hammerfall, Manowar, Nightwish, Rhapsody).I use a Marshall MG100DFX and it sounds so goods. I have all the distotion I need (it is also good for clean channel). Even if this guitar is made for metal it is also good for jazz stuff. Plus the guitar has an excellent tremolo bar system. I can play with the bar for an hour and my chords are still tuned (due to the speedloader system) Although I've heard many negative things about it. In the case of the tremolo bridge, some would say that when you're palm muting on this kind of bridge, the strings will have a tedency to get out of tune. Well, if that is the case I don't notice it. Replacing this kind of string is not a problem for me, I know where to find them and they cost only 9,00 CAN$ which is 3 or 4 dollars more than normal chords. The only thing that bothers me is the sustain. I don't have a good sustain as I woud like to. I want every note I play to last 30 sec. But I'll probably fix that with a sustain compressor (by the way if you happen to know a good compressor for a good price, say it to me. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is great. When I bought it nothing was loose or badly fixed. Although the neck forms a thin thin little crack with the rest of the body on each side. The guitar itself has a crazy body construction. It has sharp edges to it and red/flames color from the headstok down the neck to main body. Since it has the speed loader system the head of the neck is purely decorative. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I plan to use this guitar on stage. Only time will tell me if this baby will last cause it's been only a week since a have it, but when I look at it I can tell that it will last for a long time and that I can use it on stage. One thing that surprised me is that the guitar is as heavy as it seems. I was bit scared, because I always noticed that good handmade guitars are always heavier that averages ones. But when I test it I was at peace. I said to myself: for this price this can't be something cheap. // 9

Overall Impression: It is certain that this guitar is not a 2000$ gisbon or ESP but it does the job right. Since this guitar is made only metal I'm sure it has nothing to envy to a Gibson or an ESP in term of distortion. I've been playing 3 years and a half and this guitar fits me so well. As a lead guitariste I have to have my 24 frets and my tremolo bar because it allows me to develop new ideas for my solos. // 9

NJ Warlock Reviewed by: BJ119, on may 24, 2004

Features: - Solid body - 24 jumbo frets - 2 volume controls - Tone control - 3 way selector - Double humbuckers // 10

Sound: I Mostly play with me crate amp, and the sound I get is amazing. Sometimes, I'll throw in my effects pedal which it also sounds good with. I play heavy metal and some alternative, and this is the perfect guitar for it. It has a reallly crisp, full sound to it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was put together perfectly at the factory. No loose wires, knobs, or screws. Only one problem. After a while of playing, the screws holdiong the pickups get loose and sometimes fall out. And also, I've had this guitar for 3 years, and I've only had to replace the output jack once. I'm not quite sure wat happened, but the wires fell off of it. Those were the only factory problems with it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Durability wise, this guitar has taken alot of falls very well. It still plays as if i had bought it yesterday, even aftet it fell off my wall, down some stairs, and off the edge of a table. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall impression, well, I would recomend that every guitar player go out and buy this right now. It's the best guitar I could hope to own. The best part is, the newer models of this are even better. My friend bought a new one and I wish it was mine. If I was to ever lose this or have it stolen I would go out and buy it again. Two of them. // 10

NJ Warlock Reviewed by: BJ119, on june 07, 2004

Features: - 24 jumbo frets - 2 humbuckers - Double locking floyd rose trmeolo - Solid body, mahogony neck - 2 tone knobs, 1 volume, and a 3 way Switch // 10

Sound: Perfect for playing metal like godsmack, metallica, kiss, incubus, ect. Little feedback, but thats probobly just my amp. Nice full soud to it. Sound, in my opinion is great, one of the best ive heard so far from a guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it, screws were loose and the bridge needed some realigning also, about a year after i purshased it, the output jack kind of, well, all of the wires fell off. I think bc rich needed to put some more times into putting it all together. Other then that it was great. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has had its fair share of beatings. It's got a weir shaped heastock to it, so it chips really easy (you woulnt be able to see them if you werent looking for it though). None of the finish has worn off and there is no pick guard, so I'd say thats some pretty good finish there. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall impression is this is a great guitar to buy. A little pricy, but still great. I talked my friend into buying one, and he loves it. Its perfect for playing those high notes you cant play to easily on a regular electric guitar. // 10

NJ Warlock Reviewed by: llvllaster_bomb, on june 08, 2005

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This particular BC Rich Warlock is pearl white from 1988 and for some strange reason, the USA has made a law against making this color paint anymore for ozone purposes so thats a nice feature. It is well used, manufactured in LA California USA, 24 frets, medium thickness neck, rosewood neck, nbody is maple laminated, floyd rose, active electronics, 3-way pickup selector (1st second or both), 2 humbuckers, and a kickass look. // 10

Sound: I play rock/metal and it suits me perfectly, I would never buy another uitar without 24 frets! I used a Peavey Envoy 110 with it and screached a little on the overdrive but other than that, sounds great. Great recomendation for anyone who likes that badass metal sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it, it was very well used and the tips were chipped, a couple frets were high but other than that, nothing changes the way it sounds. I had to manually remove the pickups and clean them of rust and dirt collected over the years to make it look better and stop screeching. Acouple screws were bent on the floyd rose but still, c'mon! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would definatly gig this guitar live because it looks and sounds so awesome for the style of music I play. The Hardware has lasted over 15 years and I'm sure it'll last another 10 easy. Although putting a strap on it can lok a little complicated, it all works out in the end. I probably would not bring a backup guitar if I used this one in a gig, I've had nothing go wrong with it since I cleaned the pickups. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is great for me and Recomend it for anyone who plays metal, maybe even a Platinum of Platinum Pro? Well great guitar and rock on. // 10

NJ Warlock Reviewed by: kylendm, on december 18, 2006

Features: First before I say anything I bought this guitar used and was somewhat customized but overall it is still the same guitar. Anyway it has pretty thin 24 fret neck which is nice for getting the sounds you want out of it. It was it's own unique body style which I love since it's a great guitar if you want to stand out in front of a crowd. since mine was custom built it had a floyd rose bridge which is great. It has a 3-way selector volume and two others which I don't normal turn or use. The pickups in it when I got it were EMG's which from I hear are pretty decent pickups. And the floyd rose of course has fine tuning on the bridge so no more tuning at the top of the neck. I also got the Coffin case with it. // 10

Sound: I play so many kinda of music and I think it has it's way with each type making it sound good. I play mostly things like AC/DC, Metallica, GN'R, Black Sabbath, and some more modern band like things from My Chemical Romance's new album (Black Parade). But I think it's good for someone Who likes to play metal. I use a lot of distortion and high treble since I soloing is my favorite thing to do with a guitar. It isn't noisy and can make just about any kinda of sound you want with it. Though it is great for metal clean sounds out of it are ok for some reason it just doesn't come out right for me in clean sounds. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was used and had nothing wrong with it except a small scratch on th back so I'm guessing it came out good factory made. The pickups were great in it and weren't loose or turned slightly it was just right. Everything was bolted in nicely nothing missing or loose just perfect. There were no flaws and I'm pretty happy with the guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Live playing is a blast because it stands out so much and for a lead guitarist it's just what you need. Now the bad news since this guitar is so pointy if you place it on the ground it was scratch badly and chip paint off. It's very solid as for the buttons and such but if you accidentally drop it expect the worst. I can defiantly depend on it asked for a gig or anything and the finish on it seems like I will last for ever. // 7

Overall Impression: With the style of music I play which is mostly metal at is great and matches it perfectly. Iv been playing for only about a year now but iv had past experiences with other instruments and I have two other guitars such as an Ibanez SA series and a custom guitar. If it were gone I am not sure if I would buy it again though since this is customized and has many good features in it it's great but since the things it comes with originally aren't as good and costs more I could probably get better. Over all the design is great and looks very slick and crazy but it's very sharp and that could lead to more damage in future things. It's a great guitar and has everything I expected and more! // 9

NJ Warlock Reviewed by: Spirit_Crusher, on july 19, 2007

Purchased from: eBay

Features: 24 Xtra Jumbo frets, mahagony body (I think), rosewood fretboard, black finish, floyd rose liscenced tremolo, two tone and one volume knobs, two BC Rich humbuckers, BC Rich machine heads. The guy I bought it from threw in a gig bag, a strap, and a couple picks. I have since lost the latter two. The extra jumbo frets are nice and comfortable, the fretboard plays very smoothly. The neck isn't Ultra-thin like an Ibanez, but it's not a baseball bat either. Bottom line is, it's quite comfortable. The entire guitar is a little heavy, but as long as you aren't some shrimpy little emo kid or anything, you can probably handle it. The floyd is okay, it's hard to set up but once you do (and do it right) it does what it's supposed to. However, I'd suggest getting a Floyd Rose Original, because those are friggin' amazing tremolo systems. The humbuckers are decent, but if you have the money get some EMGs or Duncans installed. The machine heads are decent as well, but since it has a locking nut it's not like those are that big of a deal. // 9

Sound: I play in a thrash metal band. Our biggest influences are Slayer, Death, Exodus, Pantera, and Megadeth, and this guitar works great if you are playing songs from any of those bands, or similiar bands. I only tune to drop D, but if you tune lower I'm sure you could get some nice brutal death (Dying Fetus, Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation, etc.) metal sounds from it. For these sounds I use a 40 watt Crate amp with a DigiTech RP50 and (of course) the gain knob up at 10. When played clean with both humbuckers on, I can get a sort of Led Zeppelin-ish classic rock style sound. With the right effects and settings, it's possible to get a bluesy or jazzy sound as well. No country, though. As I said before, though, some EMGs or Duncans will make this guitar's sound 100 times better. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: First of all, this guitars action is amazing. Whether you're playing the heaviest riff known to man, or shredding your balls off, this guitar will feel perfect in your hands. I don't know if the guy I bought this from adjusted the action to make it this awesome, or if BC Rich is just cool like that, but I don't really care. When I got it, the bridge pickup was missing one screw, and the other screw was very loose, so the whole pickup wobbled around all the time. I found the missing screw in the gig bag it came in, and fixed the pickup as well as raised it so it's closer to the strings. The bridge was set up well. After I replaced the old, rusty strings on it with some new ones (DR Tite Fit.10's) and tuned it it was slightly tilted, but I fixed that without problems. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have not yet used this guitar Live yet, but if I did I'm sure I would have no problems. But if you're playing Live with any guitar (especially one with Floyd Rose) and have even an ounce of common sense, you'll bring a backup. I did bring this guitar to my youth group once to jam with another guitarist that goes there, and it survived the trip there and back. The finish is nice, so far I have no cracks or scratches, although fingerprints show up easily. But if you have the money to buy this guitar, I'm sure you have enough money to buy a damn cloth. // 10

Overall Impression: As stated before my band and myself play thrash metal, and this guitar works perfectly for that, as well as other metal styles. I've been playing for about two years, and I own a Washburn WI64 along with this guitar. I prefer this guitar to my Washburn because of the Floyd Rose and the extra frets. The only thing I like more on my Washburn are the pickups, but I'm going to replace the ones on this guitar anyway. If someone were to steal this, I would buy another if I could find one. Since BC Rich doesn't manufacture this guitar anymore, if I couldn't find another used one, I'd go for an NT series Warlock (basically this guitar but with neck-through construction and an original Floyd Rose Original already installed). There is nothing about this guitar I hate, I love the neck and, of course, the awesome shape. The pickups, as stated before, are allright, but they're not amazing. This guitar is awesome, but it isn't perfect. Once I get a Floyd Rose Original and a Dimebucker for the bridge, though, it will be. // 9

NJ Warlock Reviewed by: uRizen, on december 27, 2007

Purchased from: Used - Music Forum

Features: I purchased a 2004 NJ Warlock on impulse and was very happy when I started using it. It had seen a lot of use under a college kid's care but was in very clean shape when I received it and the only item requiring a tweak was the output jack. The hardcase is a must for this guitar as the corners will get crushed and chipped when transporting and it's difficult to find a stand or rack that can securely hold the instrument. The finish itself is very nice. It's a dark blue two-tone that looks black until the light catches it just right and the blue begins to shine. // 10

Sound: I can't speak for the stock pickups as the previous owner swapped them out, but the guitar has a good metal tone and sounds nice with my old Peavey amp and Metal Zone pedal. I haven't experimented a whole lot yet, but I've heard everything from nice and crunchy to bright and clear sounds from other players with similar instruments. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The previous owner mentioned that he had never touched the action or had any adjustments done. I checked the setup the first day I had it and didn't see a need for any adjustment. The action is nice and low and I've never had any buzzing strings. I've never done a lot of trem work and dislike the extra setup a Floyd Rose trem requires so I followed the previous owner's advice and placed a small shim between the body and the trem from underneath which effectively disables the floating function and won't leave you high and dry if a string blows. The instrument also manages to stay in tune even after a lot of hard bending and trashing. When it does go out of tune the adjustments on the bridge make it very quick and simple to re-adjust. The head tuners are very smooth and solid as well but you won't be using them very often if at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have never played this instrument live but it does get played just about every day and has shown on signs of wear on the hardware. The only maintenance it required was re-lubing the bridge tuning adjusters so they would turn more smoothly. Small scratches have developed in the path of my picking but there is little to do about it since no pick guard is present. The headstock and body edges still retain their original paint and haven't shown any signs of wear. I keep it in the hard case and am careful where I point it to avoid poking eyes out and chipping the edges. // 10

Overall Impression: If you're looking for a unique mid-range guitar that's pretty metal the NJ Warlock fits the bill. The shape, tone, quality, and factory action are very nice and every example of this model I've come across has been of similar quality. The only item that can be bothersome to newer plays is the floating tremelo, but you'll get used to it after a couple of string changes. It can also be block off from the back and will be a bit easier if strings break or you start wailing on it. // 10

NJ Warlock Reviewed by: f22master, on november 18, 2008

Features: It is a 2003 B\.C\. Rich NJ series Warlock with a Floyd Rose Speedloader bridge. It has 24 frets with diamonnd-shaped inlays. it has a widow headstock with NO tuners(because of the speedloader). It has a gloss black finish on the body, neck, and headstock. it has a rosewood fretboard. It is a solyd body electric guitar with 2 B\.C\. Rich BDSM passive humbuckers. It has 2 volume, 1 tone and a 3-way Switch. It did not come with a case but I got a Coffin Case for it at a pawn shop. It fits perfectly. // 10

Sound: It sound decent on clean but when you put it on any kind of overdrive or distortion it really starts to show it's true colrs. with the neck pickup it screams in the highs and booms in the lows. the mids are also very nice. each note is clean and clear, even on the heaviest distortion. It would be a thom playing anything from Queen to ACDC to Metallica to Ozzy and everything in between. the pickups are a little bassy on clean but just turn up the mids and highs on the amp and itl sound just fine. I mostly play classic and hard rock and a little bit of metal, but I also like to put it on clean and play some Pink Floyd and zeppelin. the pickups are fairly quiet but the do give off a solid high pitch note on high gain settings only. the pickups are only really good on 10. anything in the middle they become very muddy. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up early in the day when I bought it. it was set up perfectly. it sustains like a beast and plays like glass. the neck is so fast and smooth yet not super thin like Ibanez necks, which are too thin for me.all the components are nice and tight and don't feel lose or wrong. the Floyd Rose is perfect it stays is tune forever. I couldnt believe I got the whole guitar for less than the price of the speedloader alone! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I don't play Live yet but it seems tough. the only problem is all the sharp corners that can get hit. the strap buttons are good and sturdy but ima put straplocks on just in case, the paint seems tough and I think it will last awile as long as you keep it clean. // 8

Overall Impression: I walked in, saw it, picked it up, played it for an hour, then bought it. I knew it was the one. I have been playing for about 6 months now. I know several(about 6) full songs and dozens of riffs and intros. this is exactly the guitar I was looking for. I was going to get the Schecter C-1 FR but I got this one instead, for half the price! it is worth at least 500usd. with active EMGs they could charge 700+! it is trully a bad ass guitar. I would recomend it to ALL my freinds. if I could find another one like mine! They are super rare. I've only seen like 3 on the internet so far! // 10

Comments