Platinum ASM Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 03/06/2006 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: Platinum ASM
In 2005, the B.C. Rich Platinum series ASM gets a facelift. It will now have a sleek but classic 6 inline reversed black headstock and the pickup configuration will be much more versatile tonally with a humbucker pickup in the bridge position for heavy riffs, a single coil pickup in the center and a single coil pickup in the neck position for a change in tone.
 8.8
 9.4
 8.2
reviews (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Platinum ASM Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 18, 2005

Sound: I play a range of styles, from blues to metal, and from jazz to hard rock, and it never let me down. The humbucker provides me with a nice, bright sound for all my distortion needs, and the single coils give me the warm, rich sound I want when I'm playing clean. I usually run this guitar through a Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby Wah pedal, then a Line 6 Uber Metal Distortion stomp box, which leads into my home built amp. The downside to this guitar is the lack of wide variety. It may have the necessary sounds, but it doesn't have anything for those who want to explore different tones and reach new, unique sounds. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was flawless, and I couldn't find a scratch if I wanted to. The bridge was perfect, the pickups were nice, low and snug and the hardware seemed to have been put on with extreme care. The slightest problem was the action. It was a little too high. But that was fixed with a screwdriver and my own bare hands. This guitar deserves more credit than I give it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a variety of music as I mentioned previously, and this is nearly perfect. I've been playing for 3 years straight, trying new things, opening new doors and writing new songs, and this guitar was the one beside me the whole way. I've never owned another guitar before this one, and I must say, I don't think I really ever needed a new guitar. I also own Jackson JS30RR electric guitar, a homemade amplifier, a Line 6 Uber Metal Stompbox, a Dunlop CryBaby and a homemade ToneBooster footswitch. My favorite part about this guitar is the warm, rich sound of it's clean channel, that delivers almost tube-like sounds, and the only thing I hate is the fact that I can't find anything to hate. Hope this review helped. // 10

Platinum ASM Reviewed by: Lestat DeLicour, on march 06, 2006

Purchased from: Music Farm

Features: This guitar just came out last year in 2005 and is made in Korea with 24 jumbo fretts of devastation, rosewood fretboard and all agathis body and maple bolt on neck. The bridge is the always fantastic to own floyd rose tremelo system, normal dot inlays from ebony 2BDSM pickups by BC Rich and black hardware. // 10

Sound: I love this guitar for the fact that it is just evil and works with my melodic death metal style of playing. I use my DigiTech pedal with all my custom settings phaser, distorted fuzz bass, distorted wah, distorted phaser, metal, light distorted fuzz bass, and wah. It sounds great with all those effects. My amp is a Marshall 100 watt I believe this guitar if used with an effects station pedal sounds great on any Marshall. It isn't noisy at all with the digitech modeling processor it takes out all feed back unless I create it with the floyd rose tremelo system it makes the sound I want if set right. I use a dirty metal sound mixed with a country feel like White Zombie meets Children Of Bodom. Now the only complaints that I have about the guitar is the upper part of the body it looks bad ass but when you sit with the guitar like a Strat the spikes dig into your leg and chest at the same time but this isn't a problem for those use to playing Vs cause you can set it on your lap either way like a V or a Strat. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The actions are great perfect slickness on the frettboard for sliding pickups are still by BC Rich and we all know they don't make the best humbuckers but these ones surprised me. Now the balance is a little weird the necks tends to slide pointing toward the ground but it's just a matter of adjusting your strap to the weight of the guitar the whammy of the floyd rose is ideal for any one that loves to use the bar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built for live shows and proves it with the looks it has to kill. The hardware has lasted me so far and hasn't rusted thats ussually from when someone doesn't take care of their instrument but I do and so should you. Since it's apart of the Platnum Pro Series by BC Rich it is dependable throughout a whole gig, and the finish is lasting on mine and I wear chains that usually tend to scratch the paint off but it hasn't on this though it does leave notice-able marks. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said I play melodic death metal mixed with a dirty south sound and they go along perfect with this guitar I've been playing for over 6 years I own a keyboard, PA system, 100watt Marshall amp, 15 watt crate amp, 15 watt acoustic amp, 8 piece pulse double bass drumset, BC Rich Bronze Warlock, Synsonic Custom Strat style, Estaban classical acoustic, Fender American Strat, custom Ritchfield M7 bass, Custom Ibanez TR-50 bass, and the BC Rich Zombie! // 10

Comments