Platinum Beast review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Platinum Beast

I cannot say enough times how great this guitar sounds. I've recorded blues on this thing, then turn right around and recorded some heavy metal. It is rather versatile when it comes to playing style (c'mon, I used this guitar when I was in my high school's jazz band). You cannot beat the tone on this thing. Even unplugged, it sounds good. As for effects, I suggest using anything from Behringer. Their UM-100 Distortion really lets this axe sing.

For metal, this is a perfect match. Killer looks, sick tone, and reliability all rolled into one. One thing I wish I asked before buying this axe is if they had one with a Floyd Rose, but beggars can't be choosers, if you know what I mean. If this were stolen from me, I would try to get another one just like it, due to the fact that it is such a sweet guitar. I definately recommend it for anyone looking for a great guitar.

This is definately a stage guitar, simply because keeping it pent up in the studio would be a crime! Don't get me wrong, it's great for recording, but it just begs to be in front of a crowd. It's solid enough to take it on tour with you, and don't worry about the strap falling off. The buttons are so big that if you have a new strap, it's like getting a virgin. Nice and tight. Anyway, back to the guitar. The finish is great, and will probably withstand anything thrown at it (except for car keys, broken beer bottles, brass knuckles, sharp objects, etc). Definately a good choice if you're mainly a stage player.

The action was great, but there were a few dings in the finish (the guitar sat at the store for about 3 years before I had the money to buy it. The strings were in horrible condition too), but apart from that, it was immaculate. There were no apperent other flaws, but there is still a long way to go to find out about it. There were no burrs on the frets (big turn-off for soloists, if ya know what I mean). Nothing ever fell off while playing or recording, and the action in bending and taps. I fell in love at the guitar shop playing this one. It was like someone had handed me a guitar that almost does the work for me.

Okay, where do I start on this sweet axe? With it's 24 fret neck, you can reach notes that would make a dog run. Great tone from the dual humbuckers, and excellent sustain due to the thru-body stringing. The mahogany neck is pretty fast for such a big guitar, but the basswood body makes weight an issue (caution: this guitar is not for the weak). The bridge leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not exactly sure what kind it is, but it sits on two giant screws that adjust the height of the bridge (I keep it low for better action). The 5-way selector switch lets you choose between a nice hot sound, all the way to a mellow bluesey sound (if you're into that). As for the body style, if you don't know what a Beast looks like, I'll tell you right now, be careful! This thing will poke an eye out if you're not careful! I actually have a scar from where the upper horns tore through my arm the first time I decided to screw around with this monster! It looks wicked and sounds wicked too.

3 days grace14
    Hey guys this guitar is only a POSER, IF YOU WANT A GREAT MEATAL GUITAR GET A DEAN OR A JACKSON {preferrably a DEAN.
    emery01
    You'd think that if it took him 3 years to rack up the money to buy this thing, he'd realise after six months that there are waaaaay better guitars. You have much to learn, padawan.
    cobracarg
    looks cheap and crappy...end of story!! get a real guitar like Dean guitars or gibsons
    Metalhead118
    i agree with yall that say that bc rich are not as great as they look. The platinum warlock was my beginner guitar, but after i got some extra dough, i got some EMGs 81/86 and got it tricked out with a floyd rose trem. not it kicks about as much ass as Kerry King's. in a nut shell, if you buy a anything by bc rich (except the v's), customize it as humanly posible. I love my warlock as my first guitar and i think it can stand up to my Ibanez RG with EMGs.
    hawking_hole
    john{ND}{NGD} wrote: I would rather play a squier than that garbage.
    and that is why you suck :
    Macabre_Turtle
    RenegadeDave wrote: LOL @ the reviewer not knowing a TOM style bridge.
    There not exactly common. I've had a bc rich for a year and a half now that has one, and this is my first time seeing another one.
    theacousticpunk
    Yay, more firewood. Like everyone else said, between looking like someone mauled two guitars and stuck together the remains, and sounding about that good as well, I think I'd just put money towards a (Epi) Les Paul custom. But that's just me.
    sc_stanger
    i don't usually hear many good things about b.c. rich guitars...i'll bet you have to spend a lot extra to get a good one
    General Fox
    I will regrettingly admit that I do own a B.C. Rich (Mockingbird Evil Edge edition), and it was my first guitar. Of course it's crappy, and the pickups do suck, but you can't expect high quality from B.C. Rich. I now mostly play on my Xiphos, and soon to get an RG...but yeah B.C. Rich sucks. Go Ibanez.
    flonkas
    They dont look horrible. they sound horrible and do suck though
    mr barnicals
    wow, BC rich? i went through a stage where i thought i wanted a beast, cuz i love the shape. after playing some other guitars, i was put off BC rich guitars. i'm 14 ok? a 14 year old is matture enough to know that BC riches are mostly for poseur-ish halfnoobs. some good guitarists would probably play them, and that's kool, but the majority of BC rish players are (I'M pretty sure) a bunch of money wasting wankers. oh, and tunomatics are quite common, as long as you aren't poor.
    F8iscruel
    okay i have to be the guy to stand out B.C. Rich guitars arent the worst guitars in the world except for the SoB that is and the beasts and their strat copies, however their B.C Rich Dagger semi-hollow is one of the nicest topne guitars ive played and i use it when i play clean because it gets a really rich sound i also have a razorback by Dean and for a bolt on guitar i say go with dean but if u want a thru body semi-hollow that can still crank out the metal check out the dagger its a pretty solid guitar but all other B.C. richs except for the Kerry King models are cheap and not worth ur money and + $600 for a peice of garbage some one seems to be a little slow the only BC richgs that get up their are mocking birbs and those are to tiny to be good if they were bigger sure but comeon a SoB a good guitar. it makes me almost gag + my BC Rich DaGGER was only like 230 with Bc rich Custom pickups (not stock garbage mine get a really nice tone) so as i said only like 1 or 2 BC Richs are good Deans are better
    -blaze-
    True the tone is not amazing but once i changed the stock pickups to EMG's. It IS a decent guitar. Not as bad as everyone says it is. But then again. I'm getting a Jackson Rr3 soon.
    roarinflames
    RenegadeDave wrote: These guitars are like the Saturn Skye of guitars, all show no go.
    why did you have to spoil that car for me? i thought it was so cool and wanted to drive it. anyway, bc rich is good for metal thats it nothing else they dont give 2 shits about their sound. (hence kerry king aka shittiest pro player ever) throw a duncan invader in the neck and a dimebucker in the bridge and call it hunky dory
    RenegadeDave
    Quality on low end Deans is not the greatest, I am curious to see why the keep being offered up as "quality" mid level instruments? MIK Ibanezes and MIJ Jacksons in the same price range smoke them, from stock hardware to grade of wood. you can even get a MIK schecter that has better initial build quality than most deans for the same cash. Calling a low level BC Rich trash is calling a spade a spade, but calling a mid/low level dean quality, that's delusions of adequacy.
    richgray5
    another joke of a review on another joke of a guitar. Please stop with all this madness. This particluar review is probably the most ridiculous one I have read. BC Rich hasnt made a decent guitar in over 15 years. They are POS 11 year old kid guitars. But then again, they are the saem kids posting these reviews.
    stradivari310
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    flyingmarlin
    Much to learn you have.
    MetallicaFan333
    I think it looks pretty cool. I have an Ibanez and I love my baby, but I've always wanted a BC Rich, so, I'm wondering what one to get, so, yeah. I'm thinking about the Son of the Beast one that is for sale in the package deal thing, so yeah... Later...
    Player Slayer
    This guitar seems a little better then the son of beast (250$ @ guitar center new) and if you change the pickups strings etc, ( I never have so i cant reccomend any , if any? but naturally a nice tone im sure w/dual pickups and 5 way switcher this beast is sure to be a great stage guitar. though weight maybe a problem...even w/ a sob bc rich being 10% smaller its still quite a heavy guitar it is very very very! comfortable with the starp and is quite durable...i'd give this guitar a 9!
    say5ss2
    I actually have a scar from where the upper horns tore through my arm the first time I decided to screw around with this monster! Pics or it didn't happen. LOOOOOLZ
    Nathan_393
    "(the guitar sat at the store for about 3 years before I had the money to buy it." Here's the reason it sat in a store for 3 years: IT SUCKS. Everybody else who tried it realized that; you, however, did not. I get the feeling you're still in high school if it took you 3 years to save up $600. No offense, but your review felt...bad.
    jordy-77
    slipmaggot93
    hammyguitarist9
    i love BC Rich guitars but this is deffiently not one of their best guitars, decent/good at most. They don't make it any more though. All of the 2008 series of BC Rich owns this hands down. can get much better BC Rich's than this
    qotsa1998
    I myself think BC Rich's are waaay over-the-top sometimes. Like this one. If they weren't so cruddy, or if they at least had bodes made of anything but Agathis, i wouldnt have a problem. But it kinda bugs me how so many "metalhead" beginners rave over these things like theyre amazing. Its the same way with Line 6 Spider amps and Behringer stuff. I wonder what kind of amp the reviewer has.
    fiendcracker
    slipmaggot93 wrote: jordy-77 wrote: It pisses me off how everyone that I know thinks B.C Rich guitars are amazing and that they are the best looking guitars. They Suck, look horrible and sound horrible dont buy one. amen. their pretty ugly, they dont stay in tune, and only posurs who are like "YEAH I PLAY FAGGOT METAL" actually use em. i yell at my friend everytime he brings any of his over.
    mm. most people buy them for the shape. but really, who wants to play something that resembles a strat like all regular jack-offs do? but, i would only use one if i could rip out the pickups/trem/tuners
    nostress
    yea guys look, this is just my opinion this guitar actually looks cool for the extreme minded guitar players and lovers,( for 2 minutes) until you plug it in to a decent valve amp, the pickups are nowhere decent, nevermind good. the wood is just crap, the mahogany on the neck is the lowest grade, the body, dont even go there, the fingerboard rosewood, the cheapest too, built quality non exestence, and agree with some that say this guitar is for metalhead posers, if you buy this guitar and re-fret it, change the bridge for a good one, put some P.A.F's in it, change tuners it would only sound OK, this guitar has its small market it sells, some people really love it, and if you are happy with the sound of it then good for you, and maybe your fans,,,, and for me just another rip off, if you like the shape get a good luthier to build one for you with decent wood and good hardware and you will have a guitar that looks like that but sound a lot better, i would give it a 5 out of 10 thanks for reading
    RenegadeDave
    Putting PAF's in a metal axe? If someone has the attitude to buy something that looks like the batmobile mated with a flying V, they're going to want pickups with more balls than a PAF. If not actives, at least high output passives. A PAF at the neck, maybe, but odds are the bridge pickup is going to be so hot that you could put just about anything at the bridge. These guitars are like the Saturn Skye of guitars, all show no go. LOL @ the reviewer not knowing a TOM style bridge.