Platinum Beast Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 02/20/2008 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: Platinum Beast
The Beast features an agathis body and a rosewood fingerboards. Other features include BDSM humbucking pickups, a string-thru-body bridge, sealed B.C. Rich tuners, and 24 easy-playing jumbo frets.
 4.9
review (1) 43 comments vote for this gear:
Platinum Beast Reviewed by: metallman, on february 20, 2008

Features: Okay, where do I start on this sweet axe? With it's 24 fret neck, you can reach notes that would make a dog run. Great tone from the dual humbuckers, and excellent sustain due to the thru-body stringing. The mahogany neck is pretty fast for such a big guitar, but the basswood body makes weight an issue (caution: this guitar is not for the weak). The bridge leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not exactly sure what kind it is, but it sits on two giant screws that adjust the height of the bridge (I keep it low for better action). The 5-way selector switch lets you choose between a nice hot sound, all the way to a mellow bluesey sound (if you're into that). As for the body style, if you don't know what a Beast looks like, I'll tell you right now, be careful! This thing will poke an eye out if you're not careful! I actually have a scar from where the upper horns tore through my arm the first time I decided to screw around with this monster! It looks wicked and sounds wicked too. // 9

Sound: I cannot say enough times how great this guitar sounds. I've recorded blues on this thing, then turn right around and recorded some heavy metal. It is rather versatile when it comes to playing style (c'mon, I used this guitar when I was in my high school's jazz band). You cannot beat the tone on this thing. Even unplugged, it sounds good. As for effects, I suggest using anything from Behringer. Their UM-100 Distortion really lets this axe sing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was great, but there were a few dings in the finish (the guitar sat at the store for about 3 years before I had the money to buy it. The strings were in horrible condition too), but apart from that, it was immaculate. There were no apperent other flaws, but there is still a long way to go to find out about it. There were no burrs on the frets (big turn-off for soloists, if ya know what I mean). Nothing ever fell off while playing or recording, and the action in bending and taps. I fell in love at the guitar shop playing this one. It was like someone had handed me a guitar that almost does the work for me. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is definately a stage guitar, simply because keeping it pent up in the studio would be a crime! Don't get me wrong, it's great for recording, but it just begs to be in front of a crowd. It's solid enough to take it on tour with you, and don't worry about the strap falling off. The buttons are so big that if you have a new strap, it's like getting a virgin. Nice and tight. Anyway, back to the guitar. The finish is great, and will probably withstand anything thrown at it (except for car keys, broken beer bottles, brass knuckles, sharp objects, etc). Definately a good choice if you're mainly a stage player. // 9

Overall Impression: For metal, this is a perfect match. Killer looks, sick tone, and reliability all rolled into one. One thing I wish I asked before buying this axe is if they had one with a Floyd Rose, but beggars can't be choosers, if you know what I mean. If this were stolen from me, I would try to get another one just like it, due to the fact that it is such a sweet guitar. I definately recommend it for anyone looking for a great guitar. // 9

Comments