Platinum Mockingbird review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Platinum Mockingbird

Purchased from: Ebay

Like I said, the sound is great and you can get pretty much any style of sound out of it. I play mostly rock, alternative, and metal and it sounds just as good on "Crazy Train" as it does on "Green Grass and High Tides". My other guitars cannot do this. My RG321MH can perform decent on some cleaner songs, but is mostly a metal guitar. The Mockingbird can do whatever you want it to. It is perfect for "Fade to Black" because you will be able to play the clean and distorted parts and still get an amazing sound. I have not found another guitar that sounds so good for this price range. I'm sure that more expensive guitars sound better, but that is understandable. If you were performing though, it will still sound good and please the crowd for sure.

My other main guitar is an Ibanez RG321MH. I am pleased with both of these guitars. I have no buyer's remorse. I would definately but this guitar again, if for nothing else but the sound. I love the sound, the fretboard which is a dream to play on, and the unique shape of the body. I hate the fact that the strap buttons are weird. That is my only real complaint about the guitar. If it wasn't for the strap buttons and for the natural wear and tear of this guitar, I would give it a 10 out of 10. If you like B\.C\. Rich in general, or need versatility in a guitar that may shock people when you get on stage, then the Mockingbird is your weapon of choice.

It seems to be a very durable guitar. I banged it into my dresser on accident the day that I got it and it didn't scratch the paint or cause any damage that I could see. It seems to be a pretty heavy guitar as well. The hardware seems good. I think I would definately feel comfortable taking this guitar to a gig without a bakcup. I don't think I could Hurt it that much unless I took it and slammed it onto the stage. The paint is very good. The strap buttons are in a little bit of an awkward position, but I have straplocks, so it is not a huge deal. I would definately reccomend investing in some good straplocks and a durable strap. I would give this part a better score, but the strap buttons hold it back, but then again there isn't really another place to put them.

The action on the guitar is relatively low, which is fine by me because I would prefer for my strings to be almost right up against the neck. They aren't quite that close, but they are pretty close to the neck. The bridge is good and I have had no problems thus far. The guitar has no rust, just a little bit of tarnish. But then again my RG had tarnish when I bought it too so...

I'm not too sure what year it was made. It has B\.C\. Rich humbucker pickups, a stop tail bridge, 3 way toggle Switch, 24 jumbo frets, and a Metallica light blue paintjob that I am pretty sure is not factory. The guitar has an amazing sound to it. It has by far the cleanest sound of any electric guitar I have ever played. It has a good distorted sound too. You can play pretty much anything on this guitar because you can get any kind of sound out of it. I don't even flip the toggle Switch, I just change the distortion on my Line 6 amp and it sounds completely different. You can go from "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" by Green Day to "Raining Blood" by Slayer and all you have to do is put distortion on. I honestly love the sound I can get out of this guitar. I'm only playing it on a 15 watt amp. I can only imagine what it can do on a 120 watt! The bridge is good and I have found no issues with it. The guitar holds tune rather well, although I should probably replace the strings. The body is sturdy but heavy. The way that strap is on the guitar though, the upper frets feel a little awkward to reach at first, but you'll get used to it after a few days or so most likely. The fretboard is extremely comfortable to play on, and I have bigger fingers so the jumbo frets keep me from feeling cramped. Honestly, I couldn't be happier with the guitar considering I got it at a steal because it came with a hard case made for the Mockingbird specifically and a strap with straplocks (which I strongly reccomend for this guitar because of the strap button positions). I wish it had a through-body neck, but I don't mind the bolt on. It doesn't feel much different than the through-body. It is a great guitar, reguardless of what style of music you play. I highly reccomend this guitar.