Platinum Mockingbird review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Platinum Mockingbird

My other electrics are a Bronze Beast and a piece of garbage I made, the Beast has a really full sound while the one I made is really bright, the Mockingbird would be between them, but closer too the Beast. The overall sound of the Mockingbird is amazing, but the pickups are certainly not stock, and are not labeled so I don't know what they are. I use it with a Crate VTX65 on the distortion channel with no shape so it sounds throaty, along with the neck pickup which is also throaty so I can play many glam metal songs by Poison and The Crue, but it's still bright enough that I'll play some Zeppelin on clean and such. But the pickups do the job of humbuckers, they don`t hum as much as stock pickups, I sure wish I knew what these things are!

It is by far the best glam metal guitar I've ever owned. I've only been playing for maybe 8 months but I play A LOT so it`s great to have a guitar that can handle the beating of frequent dive bombing and respond so well to pinch harmonics. I certainly wish I asked myself how much repairs would be if it got damaged at the locking nut - like it did - so I could have the money available at all times just in case. If anything happened to it, I would probably get something else, just because it doesn`t seem to be like anything else I've ever seen on the internet so it`s pretty well impossible to find another one, especially since I know nothing about the pickups. Other than the broken nut and slightly off angle neck, the guitar is wonderful. I specifically adore the floating tremolo so I can make pinch harmonics brighter by pulling up instead of the whole procedure of depressing and then pulling up to make them more brutal.

The guitar seems durable, the strap locks are a little small but the way the guitar sits in the strap makes that not matter. The only problems are that the finish does not look like it will last very long and the locking nut is soft and fragile. Even though it seems really durable, I certainly would not go gigging without my Beast for a backup, it goes out of tune through too much tremolo use so it`s good too have a backup, unless of course I replace the nut, then it would be good enough to go without a backup.

The guitar has a few flaws but I doubt they`re all factory, the paint is chipped in many places and the previous owner claims to have barely played it. The pickups are well adjusted, but as I said before the selector`s a bit awkward. The controls are well laid out but I find them too easy to turn. The bride is well placed but I'm not sure about the neck, the high E barely hits the fretboard if it`s pressed down which affects the sustain. The locking nut is the most major problem though, the holes for the string clamps stripped after taking the clamps out so the locking nut needs to be replaced.

I recently purchased a VERY old Platinum Mockingbird. This one doesn't really match the description... It only has 21 jumbo frets I believe it's still an agathis body though. It has a dark gray finish which makes it look porous, I personally don't like this. One thing that stood out to me is the curly maple neck, which I didn't expect on an import model. The bridge, unlike the modern ones is a licensed Floyd Rose, the nut on the other hand isn't very reliable as it already stripped in two of the holes for the clamp screws. The electronics are passive with a volume for each individual pickup and a master tone along with a 3-way Switch which is awkwardly mounted at a 90 degree angle compared too the ground, the tuners aren't labeled, but I think they're stock, however, they stay in tune really well for how much I abuse the tremolo.

T7E
    BC RICH IS SOOOOO COO!!!! WHEN I PLAY THESE GUITARS I EEL LIKE STEALING MY SISTERS JEANS AND EYELINER AND BEING REALLY REALLY METAL, LIKE ESCAPE THE FATE. ETF IS JUST SO METAL ITS LIKE THE MOST REAL METAL EVER. ITS PUR METAL. SO HARD CORE. Gotta hate B.C Rich.....
    Fenderdog
    I just picked up a Platinum series MIK 1998 Mock. Great guitar, excellent tone, stays in tune very very well. B.C. Rich makes a great guitar. Even the Bronze series ones are pretty decent. The greatest thing about them is that you can pick up nice ones for little cash.
    SilenceSettled
    BC Rich guitars are terrible. Agathis is the equivalent to a sheet of plywood. For the price you get a used Schecter or LTD for the price.
    SilenceSettled
    alex_crawford
    SilenceSettled wrote: BC Rich guitars are terrible. Agathis is the equivalent to a sheet of plywood. For the price you get a used Schecter or LTD.
    this guys what he's talking about. it annoys me when i see all the 15 year old kids go out and buy bc rich guitars because they're the most "metal" looking guitars and are dirt cheap. without focusing on playability.
    stndrdprcdre
    Striketalonx wrote: Wow. The grammer... is sooo horrible. The writing only gives me the impression that a tone deaf, noobish, ten year old wrote this...
    Don't be a jerk. Many members on this website speak english as a second language, so they should be commended for trying to contribute. Yeah the grammar and spelling isn't perfect, but he gets his point across very well.
    MitchellJBurges
    It looks very nice although I don't like the pickups personaly on most BC Rich, though I'd like it more with some EMG humbuckers or something?
    zath
    you like escape the fate ,thats cool my son is in that band