Platinum Pro 7 String Warlock Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 02/13/2009 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: Platinum Pro  7 String Warlock
These instruments offer a variety of cool professional features including licensed Floyd Rose double locking tremolo bridges, black hardware and necks/headstocks painted to match the body finishes.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 8.6
 8.5
 8.6
 1,514
reviews (3) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Platinum Pro 7 String Warlock Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 07, 2004

Features: - Agathis body - Maple Bolt-on Neck - Rosewood Fingerboard - Licensed Floyd Rose Tremolo - Sealed BC Rich Tuners - 25.5" Scale Length - 24 Jumbo Frets - Dot Inlays - 2 BDSM Pickups - Black Hardware The only thing that I wanted on this guitar that it did not have was diamond inlays isntead of dots. // 10

Sound: I play all styles of metal and have been for quite sometime now. This guitar suits my needs more than perfectly. I play it through a crate 65W and a Boss ME-50 peddle and i love the sound it get out of this combination. It is not noisy what so ever and as a very rich, full, bulky, sound that is sure to please any fan of metal. With a peddle this guitar can use any effect very well and I have not experienced and dislikes about it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was set up perfectly except for the string setting. Floyd Rose is a big annoyance if you do not know how to set it up. I had no clue how to do it and managed to set it to hold heavy strings in about two hours. That is the only adjustment I have made and the only one that was nessecary. B.C.Rich makes a very good guitar and ships it with perfect setting. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is my third guitar (second if you dont count basses) and it is without a doubt the best guitar I have ever played. It is very light-weight and easy to handle. The hardware is custom B.C.Rich parts which means they will never die. The finish will not wear off unless you chip the guitar, and that is very hard to do (unless you beat it against a slab of concrete for a long duration of time. It still might not chip even then, this instrument is made as hard as a rock). The strap button are very well made and will not give way to any strap unless you intentionally remove it. My only problem with the strap buttons is the fact that the screws that were put in to hold them in place are too large to Switch with strap locks. Being that this is my only 7-string I would have to use it without a backup, but I would do so with great confidence and no worry. // 10

Overall Impression: As I have said, this is the perfect metal guitar. It is set up to do anything from face melting low-end riffs to skull shattering solos with so much tone that it hurts. The other guitars I own are a B.C.Rich Bronze Warlock and a B.C.Rich NJ Beast (Bass). I have tested many guitars and have come to the decision that B.C.Rich is the best guitar company for metal hands down. The only problem with this guitar lies in the fact that it is a 7-string. It is very easy to get hooked on using A-tuned power chords and forget about the rest, but if you keep practicing everything you know and continut to learn more then it will not be a problem. I knew going into this purchase that I wanted a 7-string and I checked every single other brand out there that makes 7-strings and none compare. I recomend this guitar to anyone with a taste in very heavy metal. It would also do other genres, but with a guitar like this. // 10

Platinum Pro 7 String Warlock Reviewed by: leather_face666, on february 05, 2009

Purchased from: Music123.com

Features: This is a 2003 Korean made bolt-on purchased in early 2005 through Music123.com and shipped all the way from the US to Brazil. The guitar's body and neck are made of Agathis (cheap Mahogany in other words). It sports a 25 1/2 inch scale, 24 jumbo frets on a Rosewood fretboard. The hardware ain't too bad: a licensed Floyd Rose bridge and Standard BCR tuners. Finally, it's got two BCR humbuckers controled through a 3 way toggle, a volume and one tone. The setup itself is pretty good, although it would have been nice if had and OFR. I don't care much for the pickups since I always swap them out anyways. // 7

Sound: I have played in many bands in different styles since I got this guitar and it can do anything, provided you pick the right pickups. The Standard setup is ok, but like any import guitar you are gonna want to swap them out (unless of course that's the sound you want in the first place). This guitar has seen it's share of guitar amps as well, although I have only played it Standard through my Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier and it sounded great. The only issue is the Standard pickups lack a little definition, but otherwise they do fine. Since then I have swapped the pickups for a Bareknuckle Warpig on the bridge and Seymour Duncan JB on the neck. In my opinion this setup can really show what this baby is capable of, especially on a crystal clear amp such as the Boogie Dual Recto Roadster. Although this guitar can do anything, it is best suited for heavier tunes or tunes in between as it is rather agressive sounding, courtesy of it's floating bridge which gives it a very bright tone. This is important to maintain definition on a 7-string guitar. It doesn't have a very prominent low-end, and I suspect this is because of it's cheapo Agathis body, however, this is not a bad thing as it gives it superb definition. Unfortunately, it is a noisy guitar, put the gain up and hum is inevitable. It is not properly insulated, but then again so are most guitars. Still, this was a great guitar for the price. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got this guitar it was very badly setup but was probably due to it's trip from the US to Brazil. When properly adjusted however, this guitar is quite a player. In fact, I have yet to play a 7-string import that plays quite as nice, blowing Schecters and Ibbys out the water. The neck is not as fat as other 7s and this is very important for proper chording. I think I may have been lucky with mine, but my luthier says this guitar was very well built, and it's a bummer it wasn't build out of mahogany. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm truly surprised at it's durability. All the original hardware but the pickups work flawlessly. Since I got this, I have only switched out the tremolo springs but that was it. It is however quite easy to ding because of it's angular shape, but hey this is a working man's guitar after all. // 8

Overall Impression: I have played in a metal band for 2 years and have switched to a prog rock band in on the past year. This guitar has been one of my main axes for both projects. It is great to have the extended range of the 7 string and still have a thin enough neck so it isn't uncomfortable, although playing 6-string guitars are uncomfortable for me now since I have been playing with 7-string guitars for 5 years now. I am very happy with it, but I'm afraid it will soon get put down to a backup guitar once my new PRS 7 custom comes home. // 9

Platinum Pro 7 String Warlock Reviewed by: bigREDgrin, on february 13, 2009

Features: It was made in 2005 and from what I hear it's been discontinued, Japan. I got 24 Super Jumbo frets with Seven Strings. Solid-top, with bolt on neck mahogany body with a maple neck and ebony fretboard. Black everything paint and hardware. It's a warlock, but it's kinda heavy for a guitar, around 10 pounds. it's got a double locking tremolo Floyd Rose with three four springs. Passive electro's, one volume and one tone plus a three way Switch. B\.C\. Rich pickups. With Schaller tuners, came with a Case. // 7

Sound: Its alright as far as tone goes I play mostly metal but it sounds kinda cloudy, I think it needs a pick me up in the Pickup department. I use Boss effects and Dunlop wah and a Marshall amp. Not noisy at all on the upside. It doesn't pick up the greatest harmonics either Pinch or bar. The tremolo isn't that easy to use. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is good but not great, it's slightly high and I can't do sweeps that easily on it. The pickups are pretty well set. The main problem I had was the locking nut cracked and I had to have it repaired three months later. The bridge was in right but it's so tight it's not really fun to use. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It's fairly reliable I would bring a backup though, it does well on stage but nothing amazing. The nut cracked after three months and I had to get it fixed. I changed out the strap buttons for Straplock so no problem there. I haven't noticed any problems with the paint job. // 8

Overall Impression: The Music I play is black metal and it says it's made to rock and you could say it works well with that stly of music. I have been playing for around 5 years, I use Boss effects Dunlop Wah, and Marshall amps. I wish I had asked for a longer hardware warranty. I would only get another if I could find one with better pickups. I like the versatility of having 7 strings. I don't like the pickups or the Bolt on neck. I did not compare, I chose it because I liked the shape. I wish it had better pickups and neck through body design. // 8

Comments