Platinum Pro Beast Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 06/02/2009 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: Platinum Pro Beast
Classic nasty body and headstock shape with a genuine agathis body and maple neck form a rock-solid tonal and visual foundation on which a pair of BDSM humbuckers build a tower of terrifying tone. Licensed floyd rose double-locking trem lets you yank and dive and still stay in tune.
 Features: 9.5
 8.7
 9.3
 8.1
 2,697
reviews (2) 15 comments vote for this gear:
Platinum Pro Beast Reviewed by: a real DEAD one, on february 10, 2006

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Features: This guitar was made in 2005. It was made in Korea, there must have been some sweat shop associated. It's got 24 jumbo frets with a rosewood fretboard, and a maple neck. The neck is bolt on. The body is made of agathis. The shape is beautiful, and really metal! It's got a licenced floyd rose, which keeps those strings in tune if you yank or dive on the whammy bar. Thier is 1 volume and 1 tone knob, and a 3 way Switch. The pickups a 2 humbuckers, both BC Rich BDSM humbuckers. They have an alright sound, I won't be replacing them anytime soon. The tuners are locking, it might be a bitch to restring but it's worth it. It came with a really nice gigbag all the tools needed for it and a cable. // 9

Sound: This guitar is my music style, I play heavy/hair Metal. and classical shred. It's good for chunking chords and complete shreddage. I use Dave Mustaine Signature strings with it too, for the full metal experience. I use lots and lots of gain, and a good warm clean sound too, sometimes. It's not noisy at all, it depends if your cable is good though. The sound is really bright on the higher strings and just right for the lower stings. It has a great metal sound. The harmonics are exellent on this guitar and the souns come out so rich and full, there is a lot of variety and you can play just about anything on it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was build very well, though it is very heavy it can sustaine alot of damage. The pick ups were adusted just fine, the only adjustments I had to make were the strings I had to replace. Their were absolutely no flaws in this guitar when I recived it. I have a 1 year warraty on it anyways so it's all cool. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is made for live playing! The hardware seems perfect, the only thing I'm concerned about is the pickups that are made by BC Rich. The strap buttons are really strong, I don't even think I'll need strap locks. I would use this guitar without a backup at a gig, mainly because my other guitars are major trash! This was the first really good addition to my guitar collection. Very dependable. The finish is going to take several tens of years to wear off. It's really thick and black! // 10

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal, and classical. This guitar matches my style like a glove. I've been playing for 8 years about and the only guitar I've played thats better than this is my friends 3000 dollar Jackson King V. I own a Marshall practice amp, a few random cables, several straps, and Dave Mustaine signature progressive strings, I would advise any player to get these. I can't think of anything I wouldve asked before purchasing this because all of my questions were already answered. If someone stole this guitar I'd hunt them down. But I would probably purchase it again, except this time I would get it in red. Its one for the money. I love the floyd rose, the great metal sound and the shape. The only things I dont like about it is the shape can be annoying sometimes if you don't know how to position it while sitting down and that it is very heavy. Me favorite feature is probably with Tremolo with the whammy bar, I love those things. I compared this to the Jackson RR3. I chose this one becuase it had the same idea but the price was really cheaper and the shape was just a bit cooler. This is a must buy for any real glam show off metal artist. // 9

Platinum Pro Beast Reviewed by: Metalplayer616, on june 02, 2009

Features: I believe this guitar was made in 2004. Its Korean made. Its got 24 jumbo frets on a thin maple neck with rosewood fretboard. the finish is a nice metallic red that looks great on this guitar(would've preferred black). The body shape is obvious from the name. The bridge is licensed Floyd Rose that works a lot better and smoother that the ones on Dean dime signature and Jackson Kelly's. the pickups are B\.C\. Rich B.D.S.M passives. theres one volume, one tone, and a 3-way pick up selector. theres locking diecast tuners on it. not much else you could really ask for from a guitar of this type. // 10

Sound: I play this guitar through a Line 6 Uber Metal into a Marshall MG100HDFX. I play a LOT of metal, maybe a bit too much, and this guitar suits the genre perfectly and I don't say that because of it's looks. Honestly, in my own opinion, most B\.C\. Rich guitars are garbage and sound like crap, but this thing isn't like that. Most people don't know this but B\.C\. Rich stock pickups may all look the same and have the same name, but they differ from each other depending on what series the guitar is. The pickups on this baby sound beyond amazing for distorted music, especially metal, and rival the Kirk Hammet Active EMGs I have on my Jackson KE3 Kelly. You can pull off some seriously sick pinch harmonics, clean sounding solos, and sound good in really low tunings along with Standard. As an added bonus, they don't release much feedback and normally passive pickups have a lot of feedback. I tend to change the pickups on my guitars to EMGs, but I don't feel that I have to with this guitar cause of how good it already is. Unfortunately, the pickups are too hot and bright for Acoustic songs and such, so not a good guitar too use if you plan on playing a lot of clean music. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar's action wasn't that great and the bridge was too tense when I received the guitar, but then again, this thing was from guitar center and it was on the wall for awhile until a friend of mine who worked there gave it to me for free. After a few small adjustments from me, the action is now perfect and the bridge dives and raises smoothly. The pickups were perfectly placed, I didn't need to raise or lower them. Everything was fine with it besides the two tweaks to the action and bridge, which are just preferences of mine that I do to all my guitars. There were no flaws whatsoever with the Beast when I received it and there are none now. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The Beast is great for Live play. I've used it for 7 performances now, two of which lasted more than an hour. The hardware still has no flaws and I've been using this guitar quite a lot for a year now. I have would never bring a back up for this guitar at a gig cause nothing goes wrong with it whatsoever no matter how long you play, it doesn't even go out of tune. Unfortunately, the finish isn't so great. My beast looks like it should be in a Vintage guitar museum. The hardware stays fine but the finish is too damn thin. Slightly knock it into something and you have a good scratch or dent. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar as I've said before is perfect for those who play metal. I've been playing for 2 and half years now and already have 11 guitars. I still have my starters a Squier Strat and a B\.C\. Rich Special Edition Bich, I have an Ibanez RG350DX and an Ibanez RG4EX1, two custom Strat copies I made by hand, a Dean Dime-O-Shadow, a Jackson KE3 Kelly, an Epiphone Les Paul Custom black, a Gibson Les Paul Custom black, and the B\.C\. Rich Platinum Pro Beast. As you can tell, I have a good lineup of other guitars to compare this one with. If it were stolen, I'd probably be pretty damn pissed cause I wouldn't be able to replace it cause its discontinued, I would end up buying an NT Beast. The only thing I'd change about this guitar is the inlays. Instead of dots, I'd was something like sharktooth inlays. // 10

Comments