Platinum Pro Ironbird Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 05/21/2004 category: Electric Guitars
These instruments offer a variety of cool professional features including licensed Floyd Rose double-locking tremolo bridges, black hardware and necks/headstocks painted to match the body finishes. The Platinum Pro Ironbird combines premium features with affordable prices.
 8.5
 1,458
review (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
Platinum Pro Ironbird Reviewed by: ironbird PPS, on may 21, 2004

Purchased from: LA B.C. rich dealer

Features: - Made in korea - 24 frets - lam. top - 3 way selector - 3 separate volume knobs for the three pickup settings - h/h pick-up configuration - stock B\.C\. Rich pickups - rosewood fretboard, mahogany body - gloss black finish // 10

Sound: I play mostly 80's metal with screaming and harmonics. It's great for that, and also for numetal. When you drop this thing into d, it will wake the dead! It suits perfectly for any metal. If you play it through a clean channel you get that chunky blues sound. I use a pyramid 900d amp with a DigiTech Hot Rod Distortion box. With high gain situations, you need to know your stuff, or it won't sound right. But once you get the hang of playing this big bastard it is absolutely amazing. There are some cons though, it's front heavy so when you put a strap on it and stand up it tends to lean toward the head. And as all floyd rose tremolos they dont stay in tune very well when you drop the tuning and let it sit for awhile. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was unbelieveable from the factory, it came with B\.C\. Rich strings (which i highly reccomend)which, miraculously were almost perfectly in tune. I thought I would have to get a bunch of stuff set up on it but the only thing that needed set up was the floyd rose tremolo. Apart from that it's just a manner of getting aquainted with the shape. Before purchasing this i had a Strat, and let me tell you, it was quite an adjustment because of the shape of it. But once I got used to it, it was like an extension of my body. // 10

Reliability & Durability: If I were playing a gig the only thing I would bring would be an allen wrench to make minor adjustments to the tremolo. Apart from that it's super reliable, I've been playing it about 8 months now and it's shown no signs of wear or and type of fatigue. The only thing you have to be careful of is how you handle it. Because of the many points on it you have to be careful not to chip it. I played a gig not long ago, and I stole the show from my band because of the sheer shape of it. I'm telling you; this is the metalhead's guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said I've been playing it for about 8 months and it's perfect. Humbuckers are definitely the way to go for metal of any type. If you have a good distortion unit and a good amp, this guitar will dessimate all. Beginners beware though, this guitar's harmonics are very complex. No one will be dissapointed with this B\.C\. Rich Platinum Pro Ironbird. Never stop playing and rock on! // 10

Comments