Platinum Pro Warlock Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 09/19/2011 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: Platinum Pro Warlock
Agathis body. Maple Bolt-on Neck. Rosewood Fingerboard. Licensed Floyd Rose Tremolo. Sealed BC Rich Tuners. 25.5" Scale Length. 24 Jumbo Frets. Dot Inlays. 2 BDSM Pickups.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 8.1
 4,330
reviews (6) 52 comments vote for this gear:
Platinum Pro Warlock Reviewed by: MortalRemains, on march 15, 2004

Features: This is my 3rd guitar, so naturally I wanted a high-quality guitar. My warlock is actually the 7 string version, but the six string version is exactly the same minus the 7th string. This guitar has 24 jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard that is extremely wasy to maneuver on. This is a great soloing guitar. It's got two B\.C\. Rich BDSM humbuckers on it. It has a solid agathis body, with a very nice glossy black paintjob. It also has a rosewood neck that wont warp on you. It has all black hardware including a liscensed floyd rose tremelo system and B\.C\. Rich tuning locks to keep your guitar from going out of tune. You can do dick divebombs. The only downside is that the floyd rose is a pain in the arse to change strings unless you know how to do it but im not letting that bring down its score. The only thing I wish was different on this guitar is the neck, it's got a bolt on but I would have liked to see a neck thru body, but the bolt on is very solid, and it feels liek a neck-thru. // 10

Sound: All I can say is..."HOLY SHYT!!!" This is the ultimate metal guitar. The pickups sound awesome stock. I use this guitar with my Danelectro Metal Distortion, and my Korg Pandora PX-4. I don't particularly prefer the BOSS metal zone, I think the Danelectro gives you a more death metal kind of distortoin. This guitar is capaple of whatever you (the operator) is capable of. Don't be fooled by the price by thinking that something like a les paul or an SG would be better, because this guitar was built for metal, and B\.C\. Rich is known for making high quality guitars at fair prices. It has a 3 way pickup selector, 1 volume, and 1 tone. I like the fact that it has only one of each volume and tone because I hate hassling wiht 2 of each, each one controls the sound on any setting. Plug this sweetness into a 100 watt or more Marshall and you are talking. I'm just going to warn you all that when you use this, you may have a tendency to sound f*cking amazing! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: You have to take this guitar to your local guitar shop and get a set up if you order it off of the internet, but after that everythings cake. I have my action set as low as it will go and it plays really easy. I also have no complaint about the pickups. I personally have had a pair of seymour duncans put it, but if you are thinking about replacing the pickups get it done professionally. I could not find any flaws on this guitar at all honestly. Despite what you may have heard about the paint on B\.C\. Rich's, the paint on this guitar WON't chip unless you bang it on concrete. One thing to watch out for on all guitars though is the place where you put your cable into, every now and then check and make sure it is tight. I found nothing wrong with this guitar at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have a metal band called Mortal Remains and I have played gigs with this guitar. It will hold up through anything. You definitely wont need to worry about a backup guitar with this beast..excuse me..Warlock (no pun intended). The strap buttons will hold any strap solidly, the only time you'll have to worry about the guitar dropping is if you have one really old arse strap and it tears. The tuners are very sturdy and you also have tuning locks so you wont go out of tune during a gig or while your jamming in your room. // 10

Overall Impression: I overall impression of this guitar is..."F*cking Amazing!!!". I have been playing guitar for 4 years now, and I would consider myself a very advanced player. My next guitar will probably be either a BC Rich NJ V or a Jackson Randy Rhoads USA. One final comment..All B\.C\. Rich guitars own. // 10

Platinum Pro Warlock Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 05, 2009

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: All right, So I got this guitar off of ebay, I needed a sweet looking guitar, and this one appealed to me as soon as I saw it. I believe it was made in 2002, but I'm not sure... It has 24 Jumbo size frets, and with that many frets, you can't go wrong. It has Mahogany wood and is considerably heavy, but with it's size the weight is understandable The Warlock has a glossy finish to it, which matches well with the dark royal blue paint on it. It certainly caught peoples attentions when I used it on stage. It had a black licensed Floyd Rose bridge, but I replaced the bridge with a gold quick-load licensed Floyd Rose, only because the guitar would snaps strings regularly, but I do not have that problem anymore. It also has Passive BC Rich BDSM stock pickups, for stock pickups, and for the type of music I like to play, they sound decent. I am however, replacing them with EMG's. It has 2 Volume knobs and 1 tone knob which work very well, along with the 3 way selector. It came with stock tuners, but they tend to slip the tuning a lot, at least for me they do. Overall the features of this guitar are all right, and are almost perfect if your looking to play metal or rock. // 7

Sound: This guitar, as stated before, suits well to what I play, which is Rock and Metal. I use a Peavey Bandit 65 Solo Series 65 Watt Amp, along with a DigiTech Screamin' Blues effect pedal. The guitar can be a bit noisy when left unattended, but otherwise it isn't too noisy. From my playing on it, this guitar can do most sounds, but it doesn't handle tapping parts very well, at least not with the stock pickups. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Seeing as I bought this guitar on ebay, it did come completely assembled in good condition, except for the strings. The pickups were adjusted fine, and I doubt they have been touched since it was bought. The only thing I did notice with this guitar is the tone knob tends to get loose, and so does the stereo jack. but those are no reason not to play on this beast. The action on the original bridge was all right, but I have a lot more versatility playing on my new bridge I bought. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar on stage once, and it handled it like a pro. The hardware on it however, I have been replacing since I got it, as I wished to have better parts. The strap buttons are solid, but strap-locks are recommended, they do tend to loose the strap a lot. I depend on this guitar all the time. I wouldn't gig without a back-up, but that is only because of the Floyd Rose. The finish is good enough to last in my opinion, because when you have your guitar fall out of your bag while riding uphill on a bike ( stupid, I know ) and you only have 1 blemish ( very small too ), that says something about the finish. // 9

Overall Impression: Again, I play metal and rock. This guitar is perfect for that. I have been playing for roughly 8 months now, and I have 1 other guitar that is nothing compared to this one. If it were ever stolen, I would hunt the person down Who stole it, and beat the living crap out of them before getting it back. I only wish it came with EMG pickups, but you can put those in if you want to. // 9

Platinum Pro Warlock Reviewed by: ShredHead396, on february 20, 2009

Features: I didn't ask where it was made or when at the time of purchasing, it's my first guitar so I didn't really bother. 24 Jumbo Frets, Rosewood fingerboard. Tombstone grey finish. Warlock Body. Floyd Rose. 2 B.D.S.M Humbuckers.stock. Locking Tuners. I Got a whammy bar with it. // 8

Sound: It suit's my music styles fine. Which is mainly metal and hard rock music, but I have an interest in funk and jazz and it sounds just fine, and it gets me by with classical guitar but only because I have not got a second gutiar. I run it through a Peavey Envoy 110 with an MT-2 Boss metal zone and the distortion sounds great. It can get noisy when left unattended but that can be fixed by turning down the volume a bit. I think it can get a variety of sounds and sounds great when doing dive bombs. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar action setup was terrible and had to by adjusted, way to high for me. The pickups were fine and required no modification from me at all. I had had the guitar looked over by my teacher and he said it was all fine. I think the only thing I can complain about with this guitar is the wood. BC Rich are cheap with their wood and agathis feels terrible to me, but it is none the less a great guitar. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I think this would withstand Live playing just fine. The hardware definitely looks solid and built to last. The strap buttons are solid and have never come loose or fell off. I think I may consider a backup but only because I am that kind of person and wouldn't do anything without a backup just incase. I think the finish is a little poor. I have 2 minor chips in it from nocking it so I think the kinda did a bob jenkins on the paintjob. // 6

Overall Impression: I play a variety of thing and this suit's me juuust fine. I own a Peavey Envoy 110 with a MT-2 Boss metal zone. I wish I got a Jackson instead. If this were stolen or lost I would buy a Jackson V, but only because I like trying different things and I believe in not getting 2 of the same brand. I love the shape of this guitar, it's so radical looking, but I hate rosewood fingerboards. My favourite feature is the Floyd Rose for those awesome divebombs. I walked into the store when I knew nothing about guitar, and was choosing between this and a Dean, I was being rushed to but overall I am happy with it, it is decent for beginning. I wish it had a maple neck, mahogany body, and 2 EMG'Z. // 8

Platinum Pro Warlock Reviewed by: Revoismyname, on august 14, 2006

Features: I've had this Warlock for a good few years, and at first, I loved it. It was great. Two B.C. Rich humbuckers that really gave a crunch when you played it, two volume knobs and a tone, 3-way pickup switch, nice cutaway body for easy neck handling. It had a nice Tune-O-Matic bridge that kept the guitar in tune very nicely. I also liked the number of frets, 24 to be exact. This model was made in Taiwan, not my first choice but it was made pretty well. The neck was made of very smooth mohagony, it's not the fastest neck in the world but it suited pretty well. The case did not come with it, I had to buy the case seperatly though. // 8

Sound: I play a variety of metal, especially thrash. I would not recommend putting heavy guaged strings on it, such as 10-52. That makes the guitar harder to keep in tune and it will loosen the tuning pegs after awhile. For the type of music I play, this guitar suits me very well. I think however that my effects and amp have a good deal to do with it. I use a Carvin 4X12 cabinet and a Mosvalve 180Watt head with a 31 band EQ stashed in there. I also have an arsenal of Boss effect pedals including the super chorus, metal zone, digital reverb, and digital delay. These effects work very well with the warlock and make it sound very nice. The pickups don't give off much feedback at all, as long as your not standing close to the amp that is. And don't put pickup covers on them, that will make feedback happen whenever you stop playing no matter what you try. You have a very high note range with this guitar since it has 24 frets, however, since it has a tune-o-matic bridge and no trem what'soever, your experimenting is limited. I use no mids in my sound, all bass, and a lot of highs to get my sound, and the warlock handles that sound very nicely. I love the way I have gotten it to sound since I bought it 3 years ago. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The warlock was set up very poorly from the factory. I noticed that after about year of owning it, the input jack on the guitar would constantly come loose. The screws we're starting to strip the wood after awhile and I had to get that fixed. It also turns out that the volume knobs we're wired to the wrong pickups. The tuning pegs we're also a little loose, but that was easily fixed. The volume knobs on the guitar, also came loose after a little bit, however I fixed those as well and now they work like new. The pots give off no noise when turning the guitar up or down. The pickups were set very low when I bought the guitar, but that can easily be changed. I got the warlock set up about 4 months ago, and now it plays almost flawlessly. The neck and the action is a lot better now, the string distrubution along the neck is very even, the volume knobs have been rewired, and the loose input jack has been fixed. It had some flaws from the factory, but after getting it set-up by a professional, the guitar plays like it was bought for over 1000$. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can go threw a lot of damage and thrashing around. I have a very agressive playing style and I am glad to say that this guitar has suited me very well. It doesn't detune in the middle of a song, the strap buttons are very big so the strap will not fall off in mid-play, and the hardware and tuning pegs all withstand the abuse they take sometimes. I don't think I would take this guitar with me alone. I would need a backup in case I would break a string on this guitar. But I play very heavily and I very rarely have string breakage. So far the finish is still what it was when I bought it. It does have chips in it from when it has hit the ground a little hard, but other than that, I have had this guitar for 3 years and the finish has still lasted like new. // 9

Overall Impression: My impression of the guitar straight out of the factory is nothing to be completely proud of. After getting it worked on, I love it now and wish for no changes on it. I play a lot of thrash metal and I play very agressively, this guitar has stood up to the match of my playing very well. I have no regrets with buying this Warlock, since I had it set-up, it play amazingly well. However I would have to think about wanting to replace this guitar if I lost it or someone stole it. Since I had to pay extra to get it set-up the way I wanted it, and I wish it would have had a locking trem, but back when I bought it I wasn't into trems at all. I think I would buy a different guitar with a locking trem on it with the extra money I had to pay to get the Warlock set up. This I do love about the warlock is it's endurance to withstand hard playing. This guitar has not failed or shorted out on me when I play live. It stays in tune very nicely and can easily be tuned to drop D and the other strings will stay in tune as well. This was a first guitar that I bought myself. I have been playing a good 8 years. And I bought this guitar because of it's outta control shape and big crunch that the pickups gave. They're passive but they're very good sounding. You can get very good pick squeal with them. I'm not too thrilled with the way it was wired, seemed like it was done carelessly, and the way the neck was set-up when I first bought it. The neck was set up unevenly and it had differnt actions as you went up the neck. The farther you went up the neck, the higher the action got. Probably though the feature that stands out the most for me is the shape. A lot of people like B.C. Rich because of their outta control shape. I learned though that B.C. Rich is more than looks, they also have a very good sound to their platinum line guitars. If I could change a few things on the warlock, I would want a Floyd Rose Locking Trem, and a pair of Seymour Duncan Livewire pickups, which I am acutally planning to put in. But to try to put a trem system on it, I think that the sound would change drasticly and I wouldn't know what it would sound like until it would be already done. // 9

Platinum Pro Warlock Reviewed by: Reaper/chaos, on february 14, 2011

Purchased from: pawn

Features: I don't know what year it was made. It has 24 frets. Mine is actually custom made into a 7 string (boy that took a while) The finish is strong and I have yet to put a mark on it.It has great pickup selection, you can choose from 2 hum-bucking pickups or both. Its strong, dependable, and always sounds great. My only problem... a case. I don't have one so I'm gonna have to make a stand for it. // 10

Sound: It suits metal perfectly! It makes great squeals, bends, and the wide fret board makes it perfect for soloing. I use any amp that's near me and a DOD grunge pedal with it, but it sounds great on pretty much any thing! But if I had to choose, I would go with a decent Marshall stack and a Boss Sound Effects Processor, and if you like add in a good distortion then you don't really need the Sound Effects Processor. But this guitar does great on palm muting, it has just the perfect amount of fuzz to hold in some great sounds. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: well I didn't buy it brand new. But when I first got it, it had horrible action but I think that's due to some oaf messing around with stuff he didn't know about. Bc Rich has always been a reliable company though so if anything messes up on it they will probably help you, and plus its such a popular guitar that I'm pretty sure there is someone out there that can help you. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar I perfect for anyone who is serious about metal. But if some rich boy gets mommy and daddy to buy it for him and doesn't know what to do with it... Then that's just wasted talent. The neck is strong and I honestly don't think its possible to warp it. The pot is one of my favorite parts of this guitar, but there is one drawback. Its almost impossible to find a replacement pot for this guitar, it uses really a really small pot for some reason so all pots have to be personally ordered through the net. // 10

Overall Impression: Honestly one of my favorite aspects of this guitar is the body shape. There are so many different ways to play this guitar its awesome! I've been playing for like 4 years now, but I practice like 6 hours a day. If it were stolen... I would definitely buy a new one! If it were broken (which is highly unlikely because this guitar is built like a tank)I would buy a new one. But altogether its an amazing guitar definitely worth spending money on! // 10

Platinum Pro Warlock Reviewed by: Winter Skyes, on september 19, 2011

Features: Straight to the point Review: Not gonna sugar coat anything. I own 9 guitars, All different brands and pretty good ones such as an Ibanez RG and a hellraiser. Anyways off to business about this guitar, it is a bolt on, unfortunate and fortunate in some basic cases, not really my cup of tea, I would say though that this doesn't bother me but I perfer neck-thru but what do you expect for the price. This guitar is already identified on the top page, they don't lie, it is what it is. // 9

Sound: (This is gonna be a sin for what I have used this for, but I might as well do it.) Pedals: This guitar is somewhat noisey if you don't have a suppressor or anything, but you get use to it cause it bearly is noticeable with volume range, most amps Hum kinda anyway even the good old $2,000 ones. The sound of the guitar for metal is an instant 10, it has that vibe of course to play metal, it has the metal type tone, and none of that extra treble and such. Great. A guitar that must be dialed in right though. Modern Rock - Plays pretty good, no special impact and it can go pretty quiet this guitar surprisingly in any rock channel and has a bite to it which is good. 8. Blues - damn I hate to say this but it outdoes blues for as far as I am concerned for some Ibanez and Fender Guitars I kinda enjoy, overdrive is an instant good feel. 9. Jazz - yea this thing sounds like jazz when clean, it doesn't sound exactly the acoustic melody type though, I perfer my electric jazz, electric is muffled enough for acoustic as it is coming down to the big chords. 9 Industrial - Noisey guitar, not recommended for any type of crazy rock tones you use, meant for but it can be dailed in with a suppressor, this guitar doesn't fit 'any' tone you throw at it, but it fits metal obviously, which is an entirely different channel. If you want a metal tone get it, if you want a rock n roll fuzz overdriven tone that sounds good, won't do it trust me, good luck with the pedals though. 6 This thing is hard to pitch though I gotta admit it guys, its impressive if you can do it man, but the pros can get them no matter what the cost, and yes I can get them good. Love it, but at first it will take a while to get pitches from. 9 // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Very fast action, nearly as fast as an Ibanez which have one of the thinnest necks around, obviously they would be as good cause its meant for metal. The finish is fair, thin if you are a bad care taker, hope you don't hit the tips cause you'll really be crying. The pick ups are adjusted pretty good with the strings but can be kinda loose with the bridge which is an on and off feeling but the playing is good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Good reliability, bad durability. If you want a guitar live, this will do it to be honest I won't lie, don't abuse the bridge, or you'll be out of tune. Never abuse the bridge. The bridge does just fine if you do not abuse it, it is called a Platinum PRO for a reason, and that pro will stay for people who know their stuff, don't get this guitar if you're starting out cause it will confuse the *(@U#()RU out of you with the bridge set up it has. 8, Would of gave a 9 but guys, its for the Pro's cause they can handle this guitar really well, and I'm not gonna call myself a pro, even though I would like too, but I know this guitar plays pretty good. // 8

Overall Impression: So who hates the Warlock guitars? I hope you don't these things are the most famous thing b.c rich is known for and this price of a Warlock kinda amazes me. Try before you buy, or you may have some problems with it, You may not. Spend lots of time with the guitar, cause you know its gonna be yours if you really want it, and when you go back to the music store it will still be yours. Warlock is petty good and the action is amazing, I careless about the looks, but I love the look of it too. I can careless about the sound, I can dial in any sound I feel like getting. I can careless about the durability cause its reliability is good. Quality over Quantity. Features, I can careless cause I know how to work with this guitar and it knows how to work with me. But my impression is for the price, it was just right for me, I don't regret it, thanks B.c Rich for giving out an amazing guitar, I'm impressed with this one compared to your many other guitars, I think this is comparable to your famous 'bich' guitars everyone loves, call me crazy but I'd go up against one anyday with this guitar. Don't be disappointed, I REMEMBER PEOPLE TOLD ME GET A Mesa Boogie MARK IV, I GOT A Bogner ubershcall AND I LOVE IT, HATED THE Mesa Boogie FOR MY PLAYING, Sounded good though. But something for Gibson, I dislike 80% their necks with a huge passion I would burn off the necks of it. There's a reason why B.C Rich is still here and that's cause their guitars rock, they been around for a while. And just so you guys say the guitar tone of this sucks. BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE Singer/Guitarist Is USING their guitars as we speak, sure its a custom, but how did he get into it, in the first place? He Went Away From Jackson. Death Used B.C Rich which first Invented Death metal, Let me tell you that those guys can carry a good vibe of playing, the tone was back in the day but don't let those guys fool you. Trivium always wanted his own bass from B.C rich he said he picked one up and loved it when he played it so he wanted his own. So All In All. If you think that sucks, you think those bands Guitar Tone Sucks. Trivium Currently Uses Gibson though. Go Figure, but my examples of how artists inspire to B.C Rich means you as an artist should have no shame owning one man, Try it out already, why are you reading this review? Haha, peace guys, thanks for reading everything - Adida // 10

Comments