Platinum Pro Zombie Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 11/20/2006 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: Platinum Pro Zombie
The Zombie Awakes! The B.C. Rich Platinum Pro Zombie combines many of the unique design of the most popular B.C. Rich shapes. With tons of aggression and attitude, it features an Agathis body, bolt-on neck, 24 fret rosewood fingerboard, black hardware, BSDM humbucker pickups, licensed floyd rose tremolo, and more!
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.5
 2,648
reviews (2) 52 comments vote for this gear:
Platinum Pro Zombie Reviewed by: exe67, on august 11, 2006

Purchased from: Guitar Villa

Features: The Zombie is the newest B.C. Rich model. Like all B.C. Rich's it was made in Korea. It has 24 jumbo frets. Solid-top. The body is mahogony and the fret board is rosewood. It is available in red, yellow, silver, and black. All colors have a glossy finish. Like most B.C. Rich's it has an odd body style. It's pretty hard to describe. It has a floyd rose bridge, 2 active humbucker pickups, 2 volume knobs, a tone knob, and a 3-way pickup switch. The pickups are just the standard B.C. Rich. It has locking Grover tuners. It comes with the tremolo bar and a 3 foot cord. // 8

Sound: I play metal and this guitar really doesn't do it for me. The sound is awesome, but for some reason I just don't like they way it plays. The other guitarist in my band loves it though and I let him use it for recording and shows. So I guess it's just me. When me and my guitarist play with it, we use a DigiTech Grunge pedal and a clean amp. It sounds great. It has a very full sound with little to no feedback. This guitar can suit many styles of music ranging from a low death metal pitch (that we use) to a standard Led Zeppelin sound. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Well the guitar I have now is actually my third one. The first two I got had defects on the neck and were unplayable. This one though, is fine and I have had no problems. The pickups were set a bit high, but that was easily fixed. All the fixtures on it came fine (even on the flawed ones). The only major flaw with this guitar is that if you downtune, you have to set the tremolo bridge extremely low which leaves the strings very close to the fret board. Because of this, all 6 strings buzz on the frets but this does not affect the sound of the guitar when it is plugged in. // 6

Reliability & Durability: My guitarist has played several live shows with this guitar and has never had an issue with it. All the hardware seems to be very sturdy, but the strap buttons are kinda small. So small that every strap I own falls off as soon as you stand up. Other than that though, this is a very dependable guitar for playing live. I always bring a backup guitar, but with this instrument I don't think I will ever be needing it. // 7

Overall Impression: Like I said before my band plays good old downtuned heavy metal. This guitar is a good match because the low pitches do not get muffled at all. I have been playing guitar for 3 years now. The other electric guitars I own are an Epiphone Special II, and a Schecter C1 Hellraiser. Looking back, I really wish that I had tested this guitar out more than I did. I most definitely would've gotten something different. And if it were lost or stolen I would definitely buy something better. The only thing that I like this guitar for moreso than my others is the shape. It is definitely one of the coolest looking guitars out there! And the only thing that I really hate is playing with it while you sit down. The spikes go right into your chest and leg which is very uncomfortable. I'd have to say my favorite feature is the tremolo bar. As much as I hate the thing, it does allow for more sounds. Basically, if you want a guitar that is good for the money get this one. If your looking for a guitar that won't give you frustration and anger, keep looking. While this is a good quality guitar, I feel that B.C. Rich was slacking a bit when they manufactured this one. // 7

Platinum Pro Zombie Reviewed by: mrcr0wley, on november 20, 2006

Purchased from: Local Store

Features: This was made in Korea and was in one of the first shipments to Melbourne Australia. It has 24 Jumbo Frets over a Rosewood Fretboard. The body and neck are Mahogony. It is availiable in a Glossy Black or Silver finish. It has a very unique B.C. Rich shape, the bottom looks like it has a heart shape cut out while each side has a spike on top. It has a liscensed floyd rose tremolo bridge. It comes with two Standard B.C. Rich humbucker pickups at the neck and bridge. It has 3 volume controls and a 3 way selector. It comes with locking Grover tuners. Mine only came with the whammy bar. // 9

Sound: I play hard rock and heavy metal, this guitar is almsot perfect for those styles. You can't get a clean tone on it. These guitars sound best with lots of distortions. I usually use a Hughes And Kettner amp with either the distortion channel or a Boss BluesDriver of Zakk Wylde overdrive all work well. It is not a noisy guitar but lots of little nuuences are picked up. It is extremely good at getting all kinds or harmonics (natural, pick etc) and is great at doing whammy bar dive bombs and squeels, better than any other guitar I've ever played. The only downside is that is you seek a cleaner tone you can't get it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was farley well but I had to adjust it, I had no idea that a floyd rose woudl be so difficult to manage. The bridge pickup was too high and so the strings were set up high to ensure the whammy bar would not brign the strings into contact with the pickup. The bridge and pickup had to be lowered. This guitar buzzes easily if the strings are lowered, so you gota get things perfect for it to work good however the buzz doesnt't come through the amp. Despite this the action is extremely good to play, easy on the fingers, can play fast, shred and bend easily. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've played several Live gigs, covered it in sweat, and dropped it several times. Occasionally screws do come loose (such as on the whammy bar) and you will need to tighten it inturnally to stop it from comign undone otherwise the hardware will last. The strap buttons are solid. It has a floyd rose tremolo so I wouldn't use it without backup just incase a string broke but I woudl realy on the hardware definently. The finish has lasted me the whole. // 9

Overall Impression: I play all rock styles and soem blues but mainly hard rock and heavy metal and this guitar suits the latter two perfectly, especially metal cause not only does it sound metal, it looks it. I ahve been playing for a year and a half and this is one of my two electric guitars and three acoustics. This is the best guitar I have and the best out of all my friends (Les Paul and SG Epiphones). If it were stolen I would definently replace it, I'd be tempted to try somethign new because hteres so much I want but this guitar is all I need. I love the shape and sound of it, I hate the lower spiek becasue if you dotn sit properly it can dig into your leg. The floyd rose tremolo is my favourite feature because you can do really good squeals with it. I chose this over an Epiphone SG or a Fender Strat because it looked way better and felt so much better to play. I jsut wish it had better pickups, this is a great guitar. // 9

Comments