Platinum Virgin review by B.C. Rich

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
B.C. Rich: Platinum Virgin

Purchased from: Musician

The sound of this guitar is OK. I play all styles of Metal and the pickups are alright for the job. I run the guitar through a standard Marshall cab with celestion speakers and head. It sounds pretty good with a lot of distortion or overdrive, but then again, what would BC Rich be without that bite? This guitar, however, is not the best kind of guitar to play your clean sounds. They could have put a bit better pick-ups in this baby to support its looks.

This guitar is suitable for some metal-type of stuff, but nothing too fancy for clean tones. If this axe was stolen, I would not buy the same one, but go for a different BC Rich model. I love the looks of this guitar, and the feel of it, but as I stated earlier, it is neck heavy and tilts down, and I have small hands for a guitarist, so it makes it harder for me to reachthose higher frets and it being a bolt-on, it gets even harder. I've been playing guitar for a year and five months now, and after this guitar, I bought a Jackson RR3 model. The Jackson has that crunch and bite of the Virgin and then some, so for a little bit more (about $200-$250) you can get that and then some. Plus, the RR3's fret board is fast and quick. Check my review of it if you need a bit more convincing.

This is where the guitar's specs and finishes get better. In live playing, thrashing about on stage, this guitar withstands it. It has withstood a few beatings from me as I've nicked it against a few things and it has fell over a few times and nothing was shifted or broke in the process. This guitar is dependable on stage without a backup, but as said before me: "Better safe than sorry." The finish was put on just fine and has stayed on for the long amounts of playing I have given it.

Everything was fine with this axe when I got it through shipment. Everything was adjusted fine to my standards and nothing was damaged in the process of it arriving to me.

This BC Rich model sports 24 jumbo frets. The design of this guitar is nothing less than spectacular from BC Rich. However, the way the neck is, being top-heavy, makes the headstock of the guitar tilt downward so it makes it a little harder to reach the higher frets. Plus, the neck is a bolt-on, so it gets even harder to get to those frets. The Virgin has a 3-way selector for the pick-ups. The pickups are made by Seymore Duncan and I'll go into more detail about those soon. The bridge is a string-thru body style which makes stringing a bit easier.