Platinum Virgin Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 09/24/2005 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: Platinum Virgin
Agathis Body. Maple Bolt-on Neck. Rosewood Fingerboard. Adjustable Bridge. Sealed BC Rich Tuners. 25.5" Scale Length. 24 Jumbo Frets. Dot Inlays. 2 BDSM Pickups. Chrome Hardware.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 6.8
 7.6
 2,720
reviews (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Platinum Virgin Reviewed by: GuitarDesperado, on september 24, 2005

Purchased from: Musician

Features: This BC Rich model sports 24 jumbo frets. The design of this guitar is nothing less than spectacular from BC Rich. However, the way the neck is, being top-heavy, makes the headstock of the guitar tilt downward so it makes it a little harder to reach the higher frets. Plus, the neck is a bolt-on, so it gets even harder to get to those frets. The Virgin has a 3-way selector for the pick-ups. The pickups are made by Seymore Duncan and I'll go into more detail about those soon. The bridge is a string-thru body style which makes stringing a bit easier. // 6

Sound: The sound of this guitar is OK. I play all styles of Metal and the pickups are alright for the job. I run the guitar through a standard Marshall cab with celestion speakers and head. It sounds pretty good with a lot of distortion or overdrive, but then again, what would BC Rich be without that bite? This guitar, however, is not the best kind of guitar to play your clean sounds. They could have put a bit better pick-ups in this baby to support its looks. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was fine with this axe when I got it through shipment. Everything was adjusted fine to my standards and nothing was damaged in the process of it arriving to me. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is where the guitar's specs and finishes get better. In live playing, thrashing about on stage, this guitar withstands it. It has withstood a few beatings from me as I've nicked it against a few things and it has fell over a few times and nothing was shifted or broke in the process. This guitar is dependable on stage without a backup, but as said before me: "Better safe than sorry." The finish was put on just fine and has stayed on for the long amounts of playing I have given it. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is suitable for some metal-type of stuff, but nothing too fancy for clean tones. If this axe was stolen, I would not buy the same one, but go for a different BC Rich model. I love the looks of this guitar, and the feel of it, but as I stated earlier, it is neck heavy and tilts down, and I have small hands for a guitarist, so it makes it harder for me to reachthose higher frets and it being a bolt-on, it gets even harder. I've been playing guitar for a year and five months now, and after this guitar, I bought a Jackson RR3 model. The Jackson has that crunch and bite of the Virgin and then some, so for a little bit more (about $200-$250) you can get that and then some. Plus, the RR3's fret board is fast and quick. Check my review of it if you need a bit more convincing. // 4

Platinum Virgin Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 26, 2004

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: Made in 2003, Korea, 24 frets, Solid-top, 1 volume control, 2 way pick up selector, 2 tone controls, 2 BDSM humbuckers, Chesswood body and Hard maple neck, rosewood fretboard, finish in black, body style - bcrich styled?, bridge style - string-thru body piercing, tuners- sealed diecast bc rich, neck scale - bolt on with neck plate, jumbo frets, scale - 25.5", dot inlay, cable included, gig bag and cases offered. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits my style of music (hard rock/metal/rock/classic rock/ 80's metal/ acoustic/ jazz/ and many more! because this guitar has amazing action and it works to any style of playing like no body's buisness. I am using this guitar with a Line 6 spider 2, and the pick up that come with this guitar a'rent bad, i wouldnt mind switching em for some emgs or seymour duncans, but i'll do with what i got. The guitar is noisy (in a great way), this guitar can rock out or play as nice as u need it to be, the down side is if you use way to much dirt, you get a real low beefy feedback, which isint pleasent like a high one. The sound of the guitar is more of a metalish/ hard rock/ modern rock kind of sound, but it works well with thrash playing, and if u play on ur neck pick up with half tone and set to jazz setting on ur amp that will work to but only for solos really. You can make what ever you want out of this guitar, this guitar sounds really great in d, or lower, but still sounds good in standard, you can make a pretty big rock variety but not that much else of n e thing else, unless u change the pick ups, or mess around with ur amp for a while. Thrash, Metal, Grunge, Hard rock, and Modern rock are what I would recommend this guitar for. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is one of the best I've player, I will never give this guitar up for anything, and the only wear and tear I noticed were paint wears on the top of the points, from rubbin on the box, the picks ups were also very well adjusted and i still havent changed them. the bridge is routed rite. The only flaw that came witht he guitar was the one paint wear but that was it everything else sounded great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar withstands live playing very well, and the hardware is still standing strong, but the tone control is seeming to become wobbly, the finish is still really good, ya strap button at good, I can depend on it, and I would use it in a gig with out back up. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great match for the style I play, I've been playing for 2 years now, I own a 1971 4 bolt american Strat, and a 1979 traynor full stack. I wish I had asked if it was top heavy or not, this guitar is. I would buy it again and wouldnt hesistate either. I love everything about it, I hate that its top heavy, my favourite feature is the cool guitar design, I didn't compare it, but I do like it better than the Epiphone G-400's whcih range around the same price, I wish it had nothing more, nothing else to share. // 10

Comments