Platinum Virgo review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Platinum Virgo

Purchased from: Make 'N Music

I play mostly heavy metal, and hard rock. But I can't pass up the opertunity to play a little jazz or spanish guitar. The honest truth is that no matter what style of music you play, chords, or power chords, lead or rythem, this guitar can keep up. The guitar can get a little noisy when using very high-gain distortion. But otherwise, it is compleatly compatable with my Morley Clasic Wah pedle, and supra Distortion. The guitar can do anything from gentle chords to distorted leads and high-paced shreading.

I've been playing for a little more than two years, and if this guitar were stolen I would definatly buy it again at the same price. I chose this guitar because it fits my style exactly. Clasic, with a little edge. It's great for metal. I do have to say that I would like active pickups, maybe an EMG-81 for the bridge. All and all, great guitar.

This guitar is very dependable, the strap buttons hold the guitar tighter than you could ever imagine. The hardware will definatly last, and I would use this live with no backup. As a matter of fact I'm going to in a few hours. The paint job is showing no signs of wear either.

The action is very good stock, but I do have to say it is a bit high for my taste. It doesn't bother me too much, but I will probably end up lowering the bridge in the near future. Also the paint job on the bevils is a little off, but it's compleatly un-noticable unless you study the paint job very closely. (So I'm a little picky, who said it's a bad thing).

I sought out looking for a guitar that defined a new age of style. I had heard of BC Rich and their "Edge" when it came to design. I have played my share of guitars, and while BC Rich may not be the most well known, they do make quality guitars. The Virgo was introduced in 2004, as a spin-off of the popular Virgin model. I bought a new 2005 model. The Virgo has 24 jumbo frets at 25.5" scale, on an ebony fingerboard. This guitar also has a mahogany body, with master volume and tone controals, and a 3-way toggle swich. Tuners are BC Rich sealed tuners, the bridge pickup is a humbucker, while the neck is a rail. Also the Tune-O-Matic bridge is very easy to ajust. This provides the Virgo with a flexablity that cannot be matched by most other BC Rich guitars. It is the first BC Rich that I've played that can actually play an A minor chord with a soulfull tone.