Platinum Virgo Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 03/26/2007 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: Platinum Virgo
The 2005 Platinum Virgo is a striking contrast of black and white with painted bevels. Also adding a new dimention to this year's Virgo, the inlay on the 2005 model is a Vampyre skull. Features include rail pickup and humbumbucker, nato body, 24 fret ebony fingerboard and more.
 8.6
 8.7
 8.4
 2,678
reviews (4) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Platinum Virgo Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 07, 2005

Purchased from: Make 'N Music

Features: I sought out looking for a guitar that defined a new age of style. I had heard of BC Rich and their "Edge" when it came to design. I have played my share of guitars, and while BC Rich may not be the most well known, they do make quality guitars. The Virgo was introduced in 2004, as a spin-off of the popular Virgin model. I bought a new 2005 model. The Virgo has 24 jumbo frets at 25.5" scale, on an ebony fingerboard. This guitar also has a mahogany body, with master volume and tone controals, and a 3-way toggle swich. Tuners are BC Rich sealed tuners, the bridge pickup is a humbucker, while the neck is a rail. Also the Tune-O-Matic bridge is very easy to ajust. This provides the Virgo with a flexablity that cannot be matched by most other BC Rich guitars. It is the first BC Rich that I've played that can actually play an A minor chord with a soulfull tone. // 10

Sound: I play mostly heavy metal, and hard rock. But I can't pass up the opertunity to play a little jazz or spanish guitar. The honest truth is that no matter what style of music you play, chords, or power chords, lead or rythem, this guitar can keep up. The guitar can get a little noisy when using very high-gain distortion. But otherwise, it is compleatly compatable with my Morley Clasic Wah pedle, and supra Distortion. The guitar can do anything from gentle chords to distorted leads and high-paced shreading. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is very good stock, but I do have to say it is a bit high for my taste. It doesn't bother me too much, but I will probably end up lowering the bridge in the near future. Also the paint job on the bevils is a little off, but it's compleatly un-noticable unless you study the paint job very closely. (So I'm a little picky, who said it's a bad thing). // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very dependable, the strap buttons hold the guitar tighter than you could ever imagine. The hardware will definatly last, and I would use this live with no backup. As a matter of fact I'm going to in a few hours. The paint job is showing no signs of wear either. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for a little more than two years, and if this guitar were stolen I would definatly buy it again at the same price. I chose this guitar because it fits my style exactly. Clasic, with a little edge. It's great for metal. I do have to say that I would like active pickups, maybe an EMG-81 for the bridge. All and all, great guitar. // 10

Platinum Virgo Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 02, 2005

Purchased from: Local Music store

Features: These are the technical specs. I must admit that I don't know too much about the features of the guitars I play. So hopefully this suplies you with any Info you may need to know. - Body: agathis - Neck: maple bolt-on - Fingerboard: ebony - Bridge: adjustable - Tuners: sealed BC Rich - Frets: 25.5" scale 24 jumbo - Inlays: vampire skull (3rd & 12th fret) - Pickups: 1 BSDM & 1 Single Rail design pickup - Hardware: black. // 8

Sound: I play alot of different music. This guitar delivers shimmering chords and hard-edged lead riffs. Through my Supra destortion and Morley Clasic-wah pedles this guitar can deliver the goods. It's taken me through everything from GN'R to Led Zeppelin, and I couldn't ask for more. It does get a little noisy in very high gain places. I personally havent had a problem with it, but if your looking for a high-gain guitar, look for something else. Not that the noise is that terrable, but there are guitars that are much better suited for high gain in the same price range. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up just how I like it, low fast action. The paint job is definatly made for stage work. The colored edges give the guitar a three-demensional look to the onlookers. Sadly, stage paint jobs are made to be seen from a distance, not up close. The pain does slightly stray from the sides, and the paint on the bridge has began to wear off. But in all fairness, I play with alot of palm-mutes. For those guitarests like me, look for chrome hardware. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built like a tank. Everything about it's construction is great. As I said before, the paint does wear on the bridge. But that is not a mechanical flaw. I have played many gigs without a backup, mainly because I'd rather be done playing than seen on stage with my other guitar (fake cough) Squire (ease up, it was my first guitar). But I have and will continue to depend on this guitar, and will continue to use it without a backup even if I end up with a nicer guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: When I saw this guitar hanging in the music store, I was blown away by it's looks. I have a classic taste in style, but I can never pass up adding a little bit of edge to my personal items (that's why I put EMG pickups in my Squire friends thought I was nuts). I must say that I love how this guitar plays, and how the rail pickup adds a nice detail, it gives the virsitility that makes it so great to me. And if it were stolen, I would have to buy another Virgo, hunt down the man (or woman, so I'm not sexist) that stole my guitar, and beat them over the head with my old squire untill they gave my giutar back, then I have two Virgos, and a broken Squire Strat, anybody up for stealing my Virgo? // 10

Platinum Virgo Reviewed by: irishmatt1992, on february 24, 2007

Purchased from: Music Go Round

Features: I'm a big B.C\. Rich fan, I'm very satisfied with this guitar. I bought it used at a store called Music Go Round. 24 frets, and some sweet as Hell inlays on the 3rd and 12th frets, two evil looking skulls that match the whole guitar. I was told that the guitar was somewhat customized before it was sold to them. The Virgo usually features some type of inlay on the normal frets. This one is black and finished around the edges with white. I'd say it is a cross between a Beast and a Virgin. With a similar body style to a Virgin, despise the huge cut-out in the body and it's wings are not as 'sharp' and more evened out. This guitar also features the same headstock as a Beast. Mahogany body and maple neck is the way to go. Jumbo frets, a volume, a tone knob and Switch. I'm not a huge fan of Tune-O-Matics or floyd rose set ups, that's why I like this more, the strings go through the body. // 9

Sound: This guitar is perfect for heavy metal. Awesome metal guitar. I play heavy like Metallica, Disturbed, Godsmack, Alice in Chains, God Forbid, Judas Priest, it all works out. I have a Roland Cube 60 which produces perfect heavy distortion. It's got all te bass, treble, mid, and a presence knob to find your favorite distortion and this guitar produces it beautifully. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This comes with a double humbucker pick-up deal and another odd looking thing. Most of you have probably seen one, it's a pickup, that's smaller like a single coil, but is as just as good as two! Like I said before, it was customized a little when I got it, that person did a nice job. But, B.C. Rich does a hell of a job anyway. I know that if I would've got this guitar from the facroty that I'd love it just as much. Nice action, perfect, and I love how B.C. Rich guitars tilt their necks and makes the strings closer to the neck, mush easier to play! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'd love to play this Live, but don't know when the chance will come up. It's nice man, and if you take care of your stuff, it'll last you longer, I take good care of it. It'll last me for a long time. using it on a gig without a back-up? I don't know if I could do that with any guitar cause you never know when you'll need another guitar there, but, I'd trust this one, I'd do it! // 7

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 3 years. Born into Heavy Metal. That's almost all I play. I also own a B.C. Rich Beast too! I want to actually get another with a different paint job. I wouldn't want o change anything on it. I love all of it. It's different, not many players have a B.C. Rich Platinum Virgo! I highly recomend this for metal players. // 9

Platinum Virgo Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 26, 2007

Purchased from: Griggs Mudic

Features: The Virgo was introduced in 2004. I bought a new 2005 model wich is made in Korea. The Virgo has 24 jumbo frets at 25.5" scale, with an ebony fingerboard. This guitar has a mahogany body, with master volume and tone controls, and a 3-way toggle Switch. Tuners are BC Rich sealed tuners, the bridge pickup is a humbucker, while the neck is a rail. The Tune-O-Matic bridge is very easy to use and ajust. This provides the guitar with a flexablity that is not found in other BC Rich guitars. It also as these really cool inlays they are like little red blood drops and the features on this guitar is one of the reasons I got it. // 9

Sound: This guitar fits my music style perfectly. The stuff that I play is melodic Death Metal like In Flames Dark Tranquility and Arch Enemy. But I did Switch the pickups in it the old ons sounded just fine. The new pick ups I got are a 57' Classic Plus Gibson Pickup in the Bridge Position and a Seymour Duncan Hot rail in the Neck and it sounds great. Right now I am running it through a Krank Revolution Head and a Orange Cab with a Zakk Wylde Wah and a Whammy. This guitar is quieter than a mouse gettin it's head chopped off, and that's quiet. The guitars sound is realy cool one of a kind. The neck pickup has a lot of mid range and a realy creamy sound to it good for leads and if you like to sweep pick. Now the neck pickup on this is a bad boy it is a high output humbucker but not to hot you know it is just perfect. Another alteration I did to this guitar was I installed graphite sddles and a graphite nut and that just makes it sound even better. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar when I bought it was great and it didn't even buzz anywhere. The fret work is awesome this guitar came flawless until those little bas***ds chiped the head stock a little bit and I still got it because this guitar just plays so good. But one thing is that it is Kind of hard to get up to the last frets but I work around that. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Oh yeah this guitar can stand live playing and the hardware will last this thing is a monster but is is actualy one of the lightest guitars I have ever picked up. The strap buttons on this are huge so you don't have to worry about getting locks and I already do use it without a back up guitar durring gigs. // 9

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal this guitar is perfect for any type of music. What I love about this guitar is the sound and how good it plays. The one thing I hate is the huge strap buttons because they poke the shit out of me. And if this guitar was lost I would find it if it where stolen I would hunt the guy (or chick) down and kick his mother lovein ass. I had this guitar for like 1 year and uhh 1/2 and I would put it up there with the 1000 dollar Ibanez'S and Jacksons. // 9

Comments