Platinum Warlock review by B.C. Rich

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
B.C. Rich: Platinum Warlock

I play mainly metalcore, hardcore, melodic death metal, alternative, and Indie, so I play a wide spectrum of things. It's not very good for any of them. The pickups and wood I think are the mistake that causes this. Agathis is mediocre, and the pick-ups are barely up to par with the cheaper Epiphones. It's always very flat. I'm using this guitar through a DigiTech RP80, an Ibanez Super Tube, and some EQ's with Peavey and Crate amps. The guitar is pretty noisy when you're not playing, and you have to turn the volumes all the way up to get the best (which isn't even that good) sound possible. The tone knob pretty much goes from 1-3 on a really bassy sound straight to extreme highs for 4-10, which doesn't bother me because I usually play with my highs on it all the way up, but for other players, there is no diversity, there might as well just be another Switch that says treble/bass, but oh wait, they already had that! So they put a knob to make it seem or look cooler or something. Even with the highs up, like I said, I feel like my sound is very flat when I play this guitar. Nothing much going on, not really exciting. I have to put it through loads of effects, and EQ's (three, sometimes) to get an ok sound. Not to mention the guy I seriously play with has a Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom with three pickups, so guess who gets to do all the soloing? And it's not even HIS choice to do it, I'd rather him do it. That's how bad my guitar is. The fretboard is the only thing I really really enjoy about the sound related aspect of the Warlock. The rosewood makes it perfect for quick soloing (but like I said my sound isn't very good). The 24 frets also makes it great for soloing, especially with metal songs. Really great for practicing.

It's only average at any kind of music, except it's a little better in metal because of the rosewood fretboard. I've been playing for about two and a half years now. By no means am I great, but I'm ok, and I do a little soloing/playing with bands, and I'll tell you what this thing sucks. I own two other guitars (a real cheap Ibanez and a Strat-rip-off) and this thing barely excedes them. The only thing better about it is the fretboard, really, but a fretboard shouldn't cost $200 more. Maybe 50, maybe! The thing is way overpriced and is only good for a beginner/maybe intermediate guitarist, although there are many better choices. I am very disappointed that I bought it, but I bought it over a year ago out of ignorance because I thought it looked cool (and I was way into Slayer at the time). I wish I would have saved up about a hundred more bucks and bought an Agile LP or an Epiphone LP. Do not buy this unless you are looking for a first guitar and enjoy metal! If this thing is this bad I can only imagine how terrible the bronze is.

Set up really well from the store I bought it from eBay store. Finish was beautiful (note: I say was), the strings were fine, all polished up, looked great. The action was awesome, this is another one of the few things I like about this guitar. Again, great for soloing. Here's the bad part. The finish chipped off like the dickins! It's so terrible, especially on the wings (some are my fault, but many of these dents, paint chips, etc. are not). The place where binding would go dented very easily as well. I have had to repair paint chips many times. Part of the headstock is cracked off because of the strap button sucking. Which brings me to the strap buttons: they suck. This thing has ripped off me 40-50 times, and at least 10 while playing with someone/in front of an audience. Awful. Neck is very straight though, nut is good. The strap buttons are on the back of the body so the neck lays parallel with the ground. I've gotten used to it so I don't mind it much, but I know other guitarists don't like this kind of thing. I really can't wait for another guitar because the way this thing fit's is really bad. The pickups, the pickups, the pickups. Seems like these things give trouble in every aspect. My neck pickup became loose and fell into the socket. This would have been fine if I knew how to fix it, but I am a noob when it comes to electronics. It took a few hours of fiddling with it to fix it, but it seems like these things come loose really easily. I actually probably should consider tightening them soon, I looked at them a few nights ago and they're sinking pretty quickly.