Platinum Warlock review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Platinum Warlock

Purchased from: 2nd hand

It suits all the styles of music that I play pretty well, which ranges from sum 41 and green day to a day to remember and breaking benjamins, although it has a more bassy tone to it, so metal its strong point, I have a Stagg S300 Strat copy and an Ibanez gio-GRG150, it outsrips the Stagg by miles but its pretty much equal to the ibanez, the Warlock is more metal, but my Ibanez is more all-around. It has a rich bassy sound and I thing its highs are amazing, pinch harmonics are easy work on this guitar.

This guitar matches me perfectly, I'm a big fan of metal so I like it a hell of a lot, its tone and bass are phenominal. I've been playing roughly four years now, and I've tried loads of guitars, this one owns! I had a budget of around 150 and the other guitars I could have bought with that were cheap and lame (like Encore guitars or Strat copies) I love this guitar!

This guitar seems like it will last a long long time, the strap buttons are as solid as anything and the body feels like it could take a beating. I would definately use this guitar without a backup, but when it comes to it, I probably will use a backup (better safe than sorry).

The set-up from the guy I'd bought it from was horrible, the neck had some bits of paper in between the neck and body that the previous owner had put there, so the neck was horribly angled, but I fixed that, after that, the action was incredibly high, so I lowered the bridge and tightened the tremolo's springs to make the bridge more solid. The pickups were far too high, so if you pushed down on the 24th fret the string would touch the pickups, but after a bit of home engineering, it was great!

I have no idea about when this guitar was made, but it was made in korea, (I removed the 'made in korea' sticker almost immediately)it has 24 average/jumbo frets on a nice, sleek neck. I love the shape of the body (made of agathis by the way), I've always wanted a metal guitar, even though I'm in a punk band, but oh well. It has a Standard tremolo bridge that can be used either as a string-thru or the strings can be strung through the back of the bridge, which is quite handy as I prefer a solid bridge over anything else, its got 2 volumes and one tone knob with a three-way Switch for the two BDSM pickups, normal die-cast tuners (non-locking) All in all, I thought it was amzing for the price, although it had a couple of nicks in the paint on the head, but the guy I bought it from was generous enough to throw in a new set of strings (as it was missing some).

Gallardo147
    AlexAngus wrote: As much as this pains me to say it... this guitar is over-rated. 9's & 10's???? Please! It was my dream guitar as a kid and was so excited when I bought it. I have been playing for 20 years now and once I bought an Ibanez RG550 & Ibanez S470FM, and more recently a Gibson Les Paul & Flying V I realised how a good guitar should sound & play. The Warlock just feels cheap and the tone is horrible - shrill, harsh & thin. I suspect the posters who are rating this guitar a 9 or 10 are either beginners or have not played many guitars because how can you rate this thing alongside a PRS, a Les Paul, S series Ibanez or a Strat? You can't. I love the look (nod to Blackie Lawless from WASP) but it just doesn't cut it if you want to be a serious guitar player.
    Dude Ur a retard how can U compare a $2000 Gibson or Ibanez to this guitar which plays great for the price and is directed to play an entirely different genre of music
    Grim_eats_jebus
    Dude your rating the guitar for the value. A 150 isnt gonna compare to a 2000 les is it
    ButcheryBen
    To alex anus I mean angus you suck man I have a warlock platinum 7 string and I have been playing for fifteen years and I have played more guitars than you can shake a stick at!!!! If you set it up right it's a great guitar you say notes sounded harsh????? What do you want? Tame and subdued? The only other guitar I will be buying is the handmade version of this same guitar.... Just keep on doing what you do and sucking dude.....