Platinum Warlock review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Platinum Warlock

Price paid: C$ 399

Purchased from: Pro Music

As for the sound, it's still as good as the day I bought it. Strong resonance, perfect action, and a massive fat tone. In my experience, only the Les Paul or ES335 is a more versatile guitar. I play through a Marshall VS100R or JCM 2000 half-stack, with a Boss GT3 processor. From delicate classical pieces to crushing heavy metal riffs, this guitar stands beside Gibson, Ibanez and Fender with confidence.

I play rock, mostly metal and punk. I've been playing over 25 years, from bars to small arenas, and everyone loves my Warlock. If it were stolen or lost, it could probably never be replaced. Only one complaint: The locking tremolo is hell to re-tune. Going from 440 to 435 is a minimum 20 minutes of tuning time.

I've played hundreds of concerts with my Warlock, often with no backup. A few nicks and dents have appeared over the years, but the Warlock will withstand flying beer bottles with ease. See "Action, Fit and Finish" for reliability. These guitars can't be killed by conventional means. There's a reason why people like Kerry King and Lita Ford have played B.C. Rich guitars for decades, and it's not just their looks.

I haven't had any major adjustments made to the tremolo, neck, action, intonation, or pickups in 20 years. And I'm one of the most abusive guitar players I've ever met! There is no other guitar for under $1,000 CDN that would possibly compare to my Platinum Warlock. It's been dropped down multiple flights of stairs, dropped on several stages, soaked in beer, puked on, stepped on, bounced off walls and survived a car crash, and keeps on playing.

My Platinum Series Warlock (made in Asia, I think Korea) was bought new in 1991 and is one of the best made guitars I have ever encountered. It came with a Floyd Rose locking tremolo, 24 fret neck and stock B.C. Rich pickups, and all the original equipment is still in fine working order. I've replaced the volume and tone pots and some wiring since then, but my Warlock is easily good for another 20 years.

SilenceSettled
    Are you all retarded? I'm a straight metalcore player, and I can tell you first hand that BC rich guitars are terrible. The pickups in these are thin, and weak. And everyone saying Les Pauls arent for metal, get a grip. They're a solid slab of mahogany. That equals BASS. Agathis wood, and terrible hardware must attract you all. Go pick up an LTD, or a Schecter, and you'll be thanking me.
    Mprinsje
    unnamedplayer wrote: lol at the bashing of cheap bc rich. There are also good bc rich available you know!
    ah, yes there are, but not the cheap ones.
    Insanity 101
    This was my first guitar, about...7 years ago. Don't generally believe all the people bashing it simply because its a B.C Rich. Ill admit, the thing definitely isnt perfect, and the pickups arent exactly EMG's, and the wood probably isnt the best thing for metal, but you're not buying this because its a higher end B.C rich or guitar in general. However, I can definitely say that it gets the job done, and it isnt bad in any sense of the word.
    barcode99
    i play rock/metal and this guitar sounds killer for the price. of course you can go buy an expensive signature series or high end ESP, but this thing kicks @$$. not the best guitar i ever picked up, but it is really good.
    mydian
    It's a lot better than the bronze series. Which isn't saying much.
    alex_crawford
    First review -
    I would always pick the warlock just to stand out in a crowd. // 10
    stand out? dunno about you, but every teenager i see who's into metal has one of these guitars. i admit i am a bit biased against BC Rich, but only because they really arent that good but tend to attract all the teenagers looking for a cheap Br00tal looking guitar. Seriously for the money, one could get a MUCH higher quality starter guitar.
    Ali-b912
    SilenceSettled wrote: I'm a straight metalcore player
    Pfffft. That's not even possible. Also, why/how is an all 10's review from 7 years ago written by an unregistered user, featured on the front page? It's not badly written, but it's just outright stupid, as it's not even slightly critical.