Platinum Warlock Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 07/01/2011 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: Platinum Warlock
Agathis Body. Maple Bolt-on Neck. Rosewood Fingerboard. Adjustable Bridge. Sealed BC Rich Tuners. 25.5" Scale Length. 24 Jumbo Frets. Dot Inlays. 2 BDSM Pickups. Chrome Hardware.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 12,294
reviews (10) 33 comments vote for this gear:
Platinum Warlock Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 23, 2004

Purchased from: www.music123.com

Features: This is the 2004 Platinum Series Warlock guitar. It has 24 Jumbo frets, with the unadulterated Widow headstock. It has 2 BC Rich liscened BDSM pickups on an H/H configuration with a 3 way Switch, two volume knobs for pickups and a tone knob. The neck is Rosewood, and the body's made of solid Agathis, which makes it incredible solid and sturdy. It also has a string through design but it is always in tune if your really good. The tuners are BC Rich and they are really good at staying put. It came with a patch cord but I already have a silver Bullet so I didn't care. // 10

Sound: I play rock and metal, I have a Roland Micro Cube and it makes the amp sound amazing! The humbuckers make the best sound that you can flex with any type of efx. If you want a guitar for everything, and looks killer I would recommend this in a heart beat. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was a godlike instrument from the factory and I plugged it in before I even picked it up from the box. The neck pickup needed a little raise but it was still ok before. Everything was excellent. there was not even a finger print on the absoultly mirrir like finish, now thatss skill! // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will lead you through an AC/DC style concert and still rock afterwards. The hardware is flawless and it will probably last for years to come. I can pick up the guitar by one or the other strap button just to prove they are solid. I haven't chipped it yet but if you take care of it and not use it as a weapon it will last forever. The finish is so clear its shocking. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar will fit anyone who likes unorthodoxly shaped guitars. I have been playing non stop for 2 years and it is by far better than any I have played even at a music store. If it were stolen I would hunt down the culprit and hit him with it, then buy another one just to have more that one to play. I love the tuners, sound, look, and everything about the guitar. I have a coffin case for it and you will thank me if you get a hard case for all your guitars. I compared the Warlock to other BC Rich, ESP, Fender and even the new PRS 13 Rosewood, and for the look, price, and tone, I would always pick the warlock just to stand out in a crowd. // 10

Platinum Warlock Reviewed by: )Eric(Draven, on april 13, 2005

Sound: I play mainly metalcore, hardcore, melodic death metal, alternative, and Indie, so I play a wide spectrum of things. It's not very good for any of them. The pickups and wood I think are the mistake that causes this. Agathis is mediocre, and the pick-ups are barely up to par with the cheaper Epiphones. It's always very flat. I'm using this guitar through a DigiTech RP80, an Ibanez Super Tube, and some EQ's with Peavey and Crate amps. The guitar is pretty noisy when you're not playing, and you have to turn the volumes all the way up to get the best (which isn't even that good) sound possible. The tone knob pretty much goes from 1-3 on a really bassy sound straight to extreme highs for 4-10, which doesn't bother me because I usually play with my highs on it all the way up, but for other players, there is no diversity, there might as well just be another Switch that says treble/bass, but oh wait, they already had that! So they put a knob to make it seem or look cooler or something. Even with the highs up, like I said, I feel like my sound is very flat when I play this guitar. Nothing much going on, not really exciting. I have to put it through loads of effects, and EQ's (three, sometimes) to get an ok sound. Not to mention the guy I seriously play with has a Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom with three pickups, so guess who gets to do all the soloing? And it's not even HIS choice to do it, I'd rather him do it. That's how bad my guitar is. The fretboard is the only thing I really really enjoy about the sound related aspect of the Warlock. The rosewood makes it perfect for quick soloing (but like I said my sound isn't very good). The 24 frets also makes it great for soloing, especially with metal songs. Really great for practicing. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Set up really well from the store I bought it from eBay store. Finish was beautiful (note: I say was), the strings were fine, all polished up, looked great. The action was awesome, this is another one of the few things I like about this guitar. Again, great for soloing. Here's the bad part. The finish chipped off like the dickins! It's so terrible, especially on the wings (some are my fault, but many of these dents, paint chips, etc. are not). The place where binding would go dented very easily as well. I have had to repair paint chips many times. Part of the headstock is cracked off because of the strap button sucking. Which brings me to the strap buttons: they suck. This thing has ripped off me 40-50 times, and at least 10 while playing with someone/in front of an audience. Awful. Neck is very straight though, nut is good. The strap buttons are on the back of the body so the neck lays parallel with the ground. I've gotten used to it so I don't mind it much, but I know other guitarists don't like this kind of thing. I really can't wait for another guitar because the way this thing fit's is really bad. The pickups, the pickups, the pickups. Seems like these things give trouble in every aspect. My neck pickup became loose and fell into the socket. This would have been fine if I knew how to fix it, but I am a noob when it comes to electronics. It took a few hours of fiddling with it to fix it, but it seems like these things come loose really easily. I actually probably should consider tightening them soon, I looked at them a few nights ago and they're sinking pretty quickly. // 6

Overall Impression: It's only average at any kind of music, except it's a little better in metal because of the rosewood fretboard. I've been playing for about two and a half years now. By no means am I great, but I'm ok, and I do a little soloing/playing with bands, and I'll tell you what this thing sucks. I own two other guitars (a real cheap Ibanez and a Strat-rip-off) and this thing barely excedes them. The only thing better about it is the fretboard, really, but a fretboard shouldn't cost $200 more. Maybe 50, maybe! The thing is way overpriced and is only good for a beginner/maybe intermediate guitarist, although there are many better choices. I am very disappointed that I bought it, but I bought it over a year ago out of ignorance because I thought it looked cool (and I was way into Slayer at the time). I wish I would have saved up about a hundred more bucks and bought an Agile LP or an Epiphone LP. Do not buy this unless you are looking for a first guitar and enjoy metal! If this thing is this bad I can only imagine how terrible the bronze is. // 6

Platinum Warlock Reviewed by: Nemesis_x, on april 28, 2004

Purchased from: www.music123.com

Features: This is a model 2003 Platinum Series Warlock. It's got 24 Jumbo frets, with the killer Black Widow headstock. It's got BDSM pickups on an H/H config with a 3 way Switch, an individual volume knob for each pickup and a tone knob. The neck is made of Rosewood, and the body's made of Agathis, which honestly, is pretty damn heavy. The bridge is a non-locking tremolo bridge, which makes changing tuning a pain, but the guitar rarely goes out of tune once I've managed to set it down. // 8

Sound: I play mostly metal, anything ranging from classic heavy metal on standard tuning to death metal on as low as B. I use it on a Marshall 10-watter and Digitech effects unit, and the sound I get is absolutely unbelievable. This is one of the best guitars I've played when it comes to heavy, raw metal. The humbuckers put out a tone that would make your innards implode. The clean tone leaves much to be desired however, but it doesnt sound too bad with the right effects. If you want a guitar primarily for metal, I would recommend this one. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything about the guitar is amazing. The finishing is smooth, the paint job is excellent. The strings and fretboard are of high-quality. No complaints here. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is very reliable and durable. I feel I could literally chop down a tree with this axe... but I won't. Mind the headstock though, I have chipped it a bit, on a fairly soft hit. But the body is rock-solid in comparison to some other guitars. Honestly, I've been using the strings for a very long time without changing them, mainly because I never felt the need to. Almost a year down the line, the guitar plays as good as it does when I first bought it. One complaint is that the strap hooks are at the back of the guitar, and heavy as it is, it falls down quit easily. I would recommend a strap with locks on it. As far as dependability goes, I would use this guitar throughout a gig wihtout a backup, as long as I don't have to change tunings during my set. // 10

Overall Impression: The guitar is perfect for my style of music. I've heard a lot of people complaining about BC Rich's but I find that this guitar is highly underrated. If this guitar was stolen from me, I would probably buy a Warlock again, but this time, possibly a higher-end one, since I bought this when i was pretty much a beginner. The guitar just looks so wonderfully evil and plays so smoothly. Given the choice of this guitar over any Fender Strat, I would choose the Warlock. I do wish it had a locking tremolo bridge and tuning locks, but the bridge on this makes palm-muting unbelievably easy. // 10

Platinum Warlock Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 17, 2005

Purchased from: Friend

Features: BC Rich Platinum series Warlock. I don't know the year but it's older because it isn't string-thru, it' a non-locking trem. 3 piece maple 24 fret blazing fast neck, agathis body, 2 BDSM humbuckers, 3-way switching (changing the pickups to EMG 81/85). BC Rich tuners (crap)nice hardshell case. 2 Vol, 1 tone knobs. // 10

Sound: I play alot of classic metal like Slayer and new stuff like Lamb Of God and it fits my style. I use 2 amps a Marshall MG30 and an Ibanez TB50 sounds good out of both of them. The pickups are noisy, muddy and have crap for high end so I'm switching to an EMG KFK set (81/85 with the 20db gain boost Switch). It actually has a decent clean sound to it and decent low end distortion w/the stock pickups. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is perfect for me 24 fret blazing fast thin neck (better than Ibanez Wizard/Wizard 2's) jumbo frets, 3 piece maple neck rosewood fretboard everything about it flawless deffinately a 5. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It will withstand live playing the junk trem is gonna go a floyd rose is going in, straplocks are a must but this thing will easily handle countless gigs I wouldn't be concerned playing it without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: It matches my style perfectly the only thing I'd rather have is either a BC Rich or an ESP KKV (played them both and loved them). I own an Ibanez GRX22 and a Fender Cyclone and this is by far my favorite of the 3, if someone stole it I'd cut them. I did compare it to the KKV's and I'd rather have one of those but I was low on $ and I needed a new guitar. // 10

Platinum Warlock Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 31, 2006

Purchased from: 53rd street music

Features: I just bought this 2005 warlock it was made in Korea. The neck is is a maple bolt-on with 24 jumbo frets. I got it in satin black cause it looks cool and is resistant to smudging, it's got an Agathis body wich makes it way lighter than former warlocks and its got chrome hardware and it looks wicked. I don't care what you people say BDSM pickups rule. It came with all the standard stuff, a chord, alan wrench all that. Wicked guitar. // 10

Sound: I play goth/thrash metal and this guitar is perfect. It's comfortable. It has a crunchy sound to it. I use Kustom amps but am currently saving for marshalls. The adjustable bridge makes thrash so easy 'cause it's easy to plam mute. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on the bridge pickup was like almost touching the strings but a small screwdriver fixed that in 10 seconds. Nothing else was wrong with it the people at BC Rich do their jobs very well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This holds up to BC Richs reputation as durable guitars this guitar can take whatever I can throw at it, exept for the headstock wich is a price you pay for evil looks but oh well. I got satin so there would be no clear coat to wear off so no wear worries really. This guitar is not a lead guitar, that's what my beast is for the frets are too small and soloing can be difficult for me (big fingers). // 10

Overall Impression: This is a metal guitar all the way. I've been playing 3 years I own a BC Rich beast also. I ordered this to my exact specs so nothing I would change. If this guitar were stolen I would hunt down the theif and make him pay dearly for stealing this. My favorite feature on this is the sound it's crunchy and evil, I love it. This kicks all those Les Pauls and Strats asses they don't belong in metal BC Riches do! // 10

Platinum Warlock Reviewed by: fade2dust, on august 07, 2006

Purchased from: Holiday music

Features: My Warlock was made in 2005 in Korea. It has a 25.5" neck with 24 jumbo frets. The body is made from agathis and the neck is made of maple with a rosewood fingerboard. The neck has dot inlays is a bolt on. This guitar like all the platinum series has a tune-o-matic bridge, with a string thru body design, sealed diecast BCR tuners, dual BDSM humbuckers, stop tail piece and chrome hardware and of course the wicked widow headstock. The guitar has a seperate volume knob for both neck and bridge humbuckers and a master tone control, with a 3 way Switch to go between single or both at the same time. When I got this it only came with a cable and that's about it. // 8

Sound: Well BC rich are supposed to be good when it comes to producing the metal sounds, I think that this guitar has a great tone. When used with distortion it can be pretty mean even with just basic distortion effects. It also has a very warm round clean tone something I didn't expect. I have a simple set up with a 20 watt Peavey amp and a FAB distortion pedal. Normally I don't use the pedal and just use the amps overdrive as it still gives a tone easily good enuff for heavy metal. From my experience the guitar isnt noisy and doesnt't have any sound flaws. I can say it would sound excellent on a more powerful amp. The harmonics on the guitar are very good and doing pinch harmonics is easy. As far as range goes you could use it for anything given the right settings on the guitar and your personal settings but due to the way it looks I don't think playing country would be a good idea. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar was specially ordered from the warehouse that supplies my music store so I was lucky in that it was pretty much untouched from the manufacturers. My music store still gave it a look over before I collected it and it was, for me, perfect. This my second electric guitar and my first with 24 frets and the upper fret access is very good. The action is also very good and as one might expect very low. Everything else like hardware and all the cosmetic things were fine. I got mine in the tombstone colour which is unusual but I didn't want black again. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Everything with this guitar so far (4 months in) is very good. I am very careful with it in that I clean it after I've used it just to keep any dirt from messing up the bridge etc. The strap buttons are very good and as the guitar hangs pretty much horizontally the chance of them coming off is pretty slim. I haven't gigged yet, probably because I'm a beginner, but I would gig with this and I would be sure it would be fine. The reason for the 9 is I haven't had it for long enough to say 10 i.e. it's frickin indestructable. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 8 months now and got this 4 months in. my first electric was 40 (yes that's not a typo), and very much a beginners guitar. This guitar is perfect for the intermediate player and can easily be a great guitar for a pro. I have no regrets about this guitar because apart from the fact that it plays very well and sounds great, in my opinion it looks amazing. I love the warlock shape. My only gripe is that with it's 25.5" neck and widow headstock it's a pretty big thing. Luckily my gig bag used to house a dreadnought so it just fits but getting a good case would be hard. This guitar would not get lost and certainly not stolen 'cause I'm a big guy and with this guitar I'm instantly a threat. Jokes aside I would buy this guitar again the stab the guy Who stole it with the headstock. I hope this guitar will last me about 2/3 years. I plan to buy a Jackson KE3 Kelly next just to be as diverse with my collection. And in the future I would love to have another Warlock but a with a tremolo and maybe a 7 string version. // 9

Platinum Warlock Reviewed by: gnoo, on february 10, 2007

Purchased from: Some Guy

Features: This is a great guitar made in Korea with jumbo 24 frets, it's got the sweet Widow headstock, with the neck made of Hard Maple, Rosewood fingerboard and Chesswood body, or so I'm told, I wouldn't have a clue and it's a bolt on but with great accsess to the upper frets. The fret board is really thin and fast, brilliant for soloing etc. It's got a great Black finish that's quite tough, although it did have a few chips on the bottom points when I got it. it's got a non-locking one piece tremolo bridge, but I don't use a whammy bar so. The die cast BC Rich tuners are pretty good, they keep to the tune you want nice and proper. You get 2 volume, one for each pick up (BDSM Humbuckers ay bridge and neck) which is great for getting a unique sound. The body style is great and it's very comfortable to sit and play, but a little challenging to get thr right stance while standing, as the neck has a habbit of going parralel with the floor, but you just need to find the balance. // 9

Sound: It sound much better than my last guitar, a Peavey Falcon International Series, whic isnt saying much but hey. it's great for metal, whic is what I play, Lamb Of God, Black Dahlia Murder ect. Although I don't think it would give you too much in the way of pop/country, but lets face it, you'd wouldn't fit in with this guitar. My setup is rather puny, just a small Park Marshall 10 watter with no pedal, but I manage to get some pretty chrunchy tones with the 2. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: As I got this second hand the action was alredy lowered perfectly, as were the pickups adjusted. The bridge dosnt do any silly moving around when you mute like those dratted Floyd Rose thingamys so I'm happy. The only bit of the guitar that's slightly rusted is the little allan screw things in the individual string holders in the bridge, but only on the screwing parts, so looks fine. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Because I don't, so far, do gigs I woudnt really know, but the thing seems really solid and there are no hardware problems to date. The strap buttons are huge and solid, it took me a while to find a strap that would fit them and they sure as hell aint falling off. This finish and fret boards are really good and neither have any signs of wear nor tear. // 10

Overall Impression: I play heavy/death metal and this guitar get the job more than done. I've been playing for comming up on 2 years now and have only owned the Peavey mentioned earlier so this guitar is a great improvment, but when I get a better amp and a proper pedal that will be the proper time to judge. When I checked out this guitar before I bought it I thought it ws great, which I still do, but I played it through the guys pedal and good amp, which made a much nicer sound than my set up but ahh well. If this got stolen then I would be steamed, but I would defenetly try to get another like it. One of the best things about this gutiar, as with most B.C. Riches, is it's marvaltastic shape and it's great fingerboard and neck. Although I with it didn't have the chips I did buy it knowing about them. I initaly thought of buying a Jackson DKMG or an ESP LTD M-200 but both had Floyde Rose locking systems whihc I can't stand so this won me over with it's shape and bridge. In the future I would like to get more B.C. Rich guitars like a Beast or WarBeast as I'm so impressed with the overall guitar. // 10

Platinum Warlock Reviewed by: Vampire_Prince, on march 25, 2010

Purchased from: 2nd hand

Features: I have no idea about when this guitar was made, but it was made in korea, (I removed the 'made in korea' sticker almost immediately)it has 24 average/jumbo frets on a nice, sleek neck. I love the shape of the body (made of agathis by the way), I've always wanted a metal guitar, even though I'm in a punk band, but oh well. It has a Standard tremolo bridge that can be used either as a string-thru or the strings can be strung through the back of the bridge, which is quite handy as I prefer a solid bridge over anything else, its got 2 volumes and one tone knob with a three-way Switch for the two BDSM pickups, normal die-cast tuners (non-locking) All in all, I thought it was amzing for the price, although it had a couple of nicks in the paint on the head, but the guy I bought it from was generous enough to throw in a new set of strings (as it was missing some). // 9

Sound: It suits all the styles of music that I play pretty well, which ranges from sum 41 and green day to a day to remember and breaking benjamins, although it has a more bassy tone to it, so metal its strong point, I have a Stagg S300 Strat copy and an Ibanez gio-GRG150, it outsrips the Stagg by miles but its pretty much equal to the ibanez, the Warlock is more metal, but my Ibanez is more all-around. It has a rich bassy sound and I thing its highs are amazing, pinch harmonics are easy work on this guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up from the guy I'd bought it from was horrible, the neck had some bits of paper in between the neck and body that the previous owner had put there, so the neck was horribly angled, but I fixed that, after that, the action was incredibly high, so I lowered the bridge and tightened the tremolo's springs to make the bridge more solid. The pickups were far too high, so if you pushed down on the 24th fret the string would touch the pickups, but after a bit of home engineering, it was great! // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems like it will last a long long time, the strap buttons are as solid as anything and the body feels like it could take a beating. I would definately use this guitar without a backup, but when it comes to it, I probably will use a backup (better safe than sorry). // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar matches me perfectly, I'm a big fan of metal so I like it a hell of a lot, its tone and bass are phenominal. I've been playing roughly four years now, and I've tried loads of guitars, this one owns! I had a budget of around 150 and the other guitars I could have bought with that were cheap and lame (like Encore guitars or Strat copies) I love this guitar! // 10

Platinum Warlock Reviewed by: Gallardo147, on august 05, 2010

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This guitar I beleive is an import, most likely from Korea or Japanbecause thats where I've read most B.C. Rich's are made. It has 24 Frets, a rosewood neck, and a 25 1/2" scale. I has a solid top and a body made of agathis which is good for that metal sound. The finish is great and durable as this guitar has taken damage and not chipped although the points do chip. Mine has a non-locking tremolo bridge which is alright because prolongued use will make it go out of tune. The pickups are BC Rich humbuckers that have a different design or cover that gives them that active pickup look although they are passive. It has 3 beautiful metal knobs, 2 control knobs and 1 volume knob as well as a 3-way selector. It has just regular tuners. // 9

Sound: My music style is metal and rock although occasionally I also play blues and I have to say it sound amazing for metal and rock and for blues it sounds better than I expected giving a rich sound. I use a Fender Frontman 15G amp for the most part and it sounds good with it. It isnt very noisy and offers a great powerful rich sound that when used with distortion sounds defined yet appropriate. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up well from the factory but the action could be lowered more and can have extremely low action and minimal buzzing. The pickups were well adjusted and offered a great sound from factory settings. The bridge needed very little adjustments. The finish is great and durable as this guitar has taken damage, the only flaws on the finish were that the points chipped. There was also a poor fretting job on the second fret which caused a little buzzing. These were the only flaw which was great considering how great it is and the price. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've never played it live but it seems like it will do a great job and also it will please the audience with its awesome look. This guitar is a few years old and the hardware looks like new. The strap buttons are solid and firm in place. The finish is great and longlasting. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is great for rock and metal. I've been playing for a few months and I own a Squier Stratocaster which is great for classic rock and blues but I now see this is way better for my type of music. If it were lost or stolen I would most likely buy another one unless I had enough money to buy a better guitar. I love the feel of playing it as well as the looks and great sound. I dislike the poor fretting job at the second fret. My favorite features are the pickups which are stock but I love the sound they produce. I have compared it with my friends Epiphone SG and my Stratocaster. I only wish it had a better fretting job which is the only problem I have encountered with this guitar. // 9

Platinum Warlock Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 01, 2011

Price paid: C$ 399

Purchased from: Pro Music

Features: My Platinum Series Warlock (made in Asia, I think Korea) was bought new in 1991 and is one of the best made guitars I have ever encountered. It came with a Floyd Rose locking tremolo, 24 fret neck and stock B.C. Rich pickups, and all the original equipment is still in fine working order. I've replaced the volume and tone pots and some wiring since then, but my Warlock is easily good for another 20 years. // 10

Sound: As for the sound, it's still as good as the day I bought it. Strong resonance, perfect action, and a massive fat tone. In my experience, only the Les Paul or ES335 is a more versatile guitar. I play through a Marshall VS100R or JCM 2000 half-stack, with a Boss GT3 processor. From delicate classical pieces to crushing heavy metal riffs, this guitar stands beside Gibson, Ibanez and Fender with confidence. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I haven't had any major adjustments made to the tremolo, neck, action, intonation, or pickups in 20 years. And I'm one of the most abusive guitar players I've ever met! There is no other guitar for under $1,000 CDN that would possibly compare to my Platinum Warlock. It's been dropped down multiple flights of stairs, dropped on several stages, soaked in beer, puked on, stepped on, bounced off walls and survived a car crash, and keeps on playing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've played hundreds of concerts with my Warlock, often with no backup. A few nicks and dents have appeared over the years, but the Warlock will withstand flying beer bottles with ease. See "Action, Fit and Finish" for reliability. These guitars can't be killed by conventional means. There's a reason why people like Kerry King and Lita Ford have played B.C. Rich guitars for decades, and it's not just their looks. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock, mostly metal and punk. I've been playing over 25 years, from bars to small arenas, and everyone loves my Warlock. If it were stolen or lost, it could probably never be replaced. Only one complaint: The locking tremolo is hell to re-tune. Going from 440 to 435 is a minimum 20 minutes of tuning time. // 10

Comments