SE Warlock Metal Web Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 08/03/2007 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: SE Warlock Metal Web
One of the newest Warlocks introduced to the B.C. Rich Special Edition Series sports a sinister chrome metal web design fitted to the top of the guitar and two matching pieces on the headstock. In typical B.C. Rich style the ebony fingerboard will be complete with ferocious spider inlays. Other features are: two volumes with three-way toggle switch, master tone and a stop tailpiece.
 1,274
reviews (2) 33 comments vote for this gear:
SE Warlock Metal Web Reviewed by: Vince Sixx, on may 29, 2007

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This guitar was made in Taiwan. It has 24 ebony jumbo frets, with a cool little spider design on the 3rd, 7th, 12th, 17th, and 21st frets. The wood is Alder, and it has a black finish on it. The chrome metal webbing was put on real well, but if you want to do any modification to it, you'll have a hard time getting it off with a conventional screwdriver. I like the warlock body shape, it's pointy, and looks pretty neutral for any type of music. It's a neck-thru construction, so it holds notes very well. The bridge is a tune-o-matic, but you really have to be careful with it. It's got two Active BDSM humbuckers. There are two volumes to the two humbuckers, and a tone. There is also a 3 way selector Switch. The guitar came with a coffin case. It really could use a whammy bar. // 8

Sound: The guitar really fits a heavy metal style, especially with the tone knob turned all the way down. It has a really fat low-end sound, that just crunches with a lot of overdrive. I use it with a Roland Cube 30X, and no pedals or anything, but the two go together really well. I have not seen a guitar with better sound yet (because the only other guitar I have had is a Squier Stratocaster). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfect. Hammer-ons and pull-offs are a cinch, and if the action is too low, you can easily raise it or lower it. The bridge pickup was a little too low for my taste, so I raised it. I did not see any flaws with the guitar, except for the metal webbing made me redo my picking technique. The metal web will really shred your pick if you are not careful. But it stays in tune really well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think this will withstand a Live show, I have never played a Live show with it, but it is pretty dang sturdy. If I dropped it, it'd make a sound, the paint would chip (which, it really has), but I don't think anything would happen. I think the bridge may go bad sooner or later, and the pickups are starting to be a little wierd. I think I could have my Squier as a backup, because I am so sure that this one will withstand the test. The finish is wearing off, and I am pretty sure it will chip. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal, with a bit of blues and hard rock. Don't expect hard rock out of this unless you have a modeling amplifier. Blues will come out of it, but this is suited for Metal and Metal only. I have been playing for close to a year now, and I got this after christmas. This was the replacement to my aforementioned Squier, and I have not had to use it ever. I wish I had have asked if I could change the pickups out, or I would have gotten a custom shop guitar. But, I love the sound and look of the guitar, just the metal webbing of it is the part that I don't like. I can't compare it to anything. But I really wish I could put in a Kahler or Floyd Rose. // 8

SE Warlock Metal Web Reviewed by: The Warlock, on august 03, 2007

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: Made in 2006, this Warlock body BC Rich special edition is an excellent guitar on it's own. I paid $800 Canadian and tax, Brand New. I hate buying used stuff, you never know what you'll get. While the passive BC Rich Humbuckers and the die-cast tuners and their chrome polished bridge & tail were fine examples of low end components, you paid for the exotic shape and the exotic wood in the guitar. It was made in China and thankfully that was the case as a good quality axe with an ebony fret board would cost double that if made in USA or Canada. It has a full 2 octave neck, the contour fits my hand quite well, especially where the neck joins the body, the design makes fretting high notes a cinch. The neck scale is of 25 and 1/2 inches. The stock body wood is 'NATO' which as you all well know is a base 'mahogany' type wood. The neck is of BC Rich's neck through design of a solid piece of hard maple. The whole guitar is finished in a deep black glossy paint, it reflects every image in it like a mirror. I only enjoyed the stock features for about two months before I had all of my parts to mod the guitar. This is where the other $800 came into play. I replaced the pick-ups with the EMG-KFK set, placing the active 85 at the neck and the 81 at the bridge. I have one master volume, the selector Switch, one master tone and the EMG-PA2 (preset, max 20 dB, distortion circuit) on the way out to the jack. I replaced the stock bridge & tail with a TonePros System II locking bridge and tailpiece. The metal web overlay is actually the face plate to hold and set the humbuckers height and the bridge posts go right through it. It was a lengthy job to hand file the stock pick-up holes to match the EMG's square shape as opposed to the rounded corners of the BC Rich humbuckers, but I wanted a superior pick-up with a well known reputation and a wicked look to match this sinister axe. The last pieces of jewellery to polish were the machine heads. I put on Grover Mid-size Rotomatics as the mounting tang on the back of the tuner matched the hole position of the stock BC Rich tuners. The 18:1 gear ratio made bringing the pitch in a lot easier than before. I know that after viewing the slamming comments about this axe so far that most people don't care for it. Think on this though for all of you people who play with your eyes closed. For every Warlock you see out there, there are about 25,000 Les Paul's and about 50,000 Strats. Warlock owners, players and collectors bought into BC Rich for the shape. The fact that the guitar plays really well is an added bonus. I played my Strat Fender for about a year before getting this single piece guitar body. Yeah, yeah, a year, practice it like a job and you will get good at your passion. The difference of striking the open D was amazing, I would say the whole of the body vibrated for a couple of minutes before finally fading out. I picked up a warlock in my buddy's basement over 22 years ago. It was a weird looking, beatup guitar that he just loved. I have always wanted one of my own to be unique. To this end I changed the strings from my #10 Ddario's to DR Strings 'Black Beauties'. They are hand coated strings that cost over double the Ddarios' but well worth the added look. I also changed the stock chrome strap holders to a set of Schaller locking strap fasteners. All of my accents are polished black chrome and the only things to note now are the reflective silver web (which I don't really notice as I play since the heel of picking hand generally rests on the bridge/tail area.) The web makes it hard to clean the face of the guitar body, that is about it. I would like a trem on my 'Black Widow' (I put two red DR Strings on D and G) but that is not a priority as having a fixed bridge has it's own advantages as well. Overall, this a a very good guitar for features and looks. // 10

Sound: I play metal (mostly JP & I'm) and some favorite Rock (Kiss, Def Leppard) with a Randall RM4 (Ultra, Treadplate, Plexi & Clean modules) & the RT2/50, I really can't go above 1, 1.5 as I already received an eviction notice as a threat in my apartment. No effects as I usually play it clean or with the PA2 on and play with the modular amp settings. Since this is the style of music I enjoy, I really don't care to experiment further but a good friend Who is teaching me played a wide variety of music, from rock to blues on it and with his extensive 25+ years of playing experience, he commended me and commented on my beautiful axe "It's a really good guitar man!" // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action from the factory was a bit high, over and 1/8 on an inch, and it came fresh out of the box with the strings about 2 notes too low. I would guess that is normal to ship it like this from where ever it initially came from to get to me. The stock pick ups were ok, about 3/16" - 1/4" below the initial strings, but I closed the gap a bit with my installation of the EMG's. I noticed as I am experimenting with tapping now that they really catch every little vibration. The guitar from the original shipped state was in excellent playing condition, after setting the initial string pitch, and obviously letting it sit for about a day in my apartment to adjust to the temperature, (you have to recall, it was winter time when I picked it up) it played well and had no flaws that I could find, even running your finger hard along the laser cut web overlay (which as about 1mm thick) you could not cut yourself. The fret wires were very smooth at the edges of the neck, the finish on the neck was immaculate as the rest of the body. I purchased the matching BC Rich hard coffin case for this axe later on, a soft gig bag would be an insult to it and when not in use, it hangs on a hercules wall hanger in the living room. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As with anything, this is a loaded question, if you drop something, unless it is a hunk if steel, it will get damaged or damage whatever it hits. I don't play Live so I can't answer that question, I jam with my mentor, and another bud, but that does not mean my opinion of this guitar's ability to with-stand punishemnt will not be valid. I have had to change strings every couple of months, that happens when you learn, play and want to learn and play more, so the rest of the question is sort of out the door man. The finish has stayed immaculate so far but that is because I baby it. Any guitar, if mistreated can and will get nicked, chipped, scratched and what not and I have No Doubt that this axe will get that way eventually as well. With respect the original hardware. I guess I'll never know. The strap buttons were a concern (or maybe my strap) and that was why I put on the Schaller strap locks, I did not want to drop it while standing and playing since I like to move about. // 8

Overall Impression: As mentioned above, I'm for Metal, heat up the irons as a good friend likes to quote all to often. The BC Rich Special Edition Web Warlock is an excellent match for this style of music. I've been playing for almost two years now. There is nothing I had wished that I had asked before buying this piece of ART. If it were stolen, I would hunt the mf down and show him a real axe or two and yes, I would repalce it with the same model if it were still available. I love my ebony fret board, it is just so f-n slick. I hate spiders as a general rule I kill them on site, but I love this guitar. My favorite feature (stock feature) is the authentic BC Rich 'Widow' headstock, my favorite feature after the mods I made is the EMG-PA2 Switch, I just love that instant distortion! // 10

Comments