Space Face review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Space Face

Purchased from: Sams Guitar Gallery

This guitar is made for metal. I mostly stick to black/death metal and grindcore, sometimes straying into thrash or '80s heavy metal, and it can handle all of these perfectly. At the more I'm just running it though a Marshall MG30 DFX and a DigiTech Death Metal and it fookin slays. Ok it's not the most versatile guitar but who buys a BC Rich Ironbird to play f--king jazz or something, this is made for metal and it does it well. Carcass, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Arch Enemy and Satyricon are just a few of the bands I like to cover, and this guitar does'em all.

I play most extreme metal (Zyklon, Morbid Angel, Mayhem, 1349) and this guitar suits them perfectly. I've only been playing for about a year and I own two bcriches, a Marshall MG30 DFX, a DigiTech Death Metal, and my old Squier Showmaster (my guitar that I stick stickers and s--t all over). To be honest the pickups could be better, and I intend fitting EMG HZ-H4 pickups in their place but apart from that this guitar is perfect. I'd advise straplocks for any guitar, but especially pointy ones like this. All I wish it had was a fixed floyd rose and better pickups, but I'm not that bothered about the floyd and the pickups are pretty good.

Just like my Brass City Beast, this guitar could survive anything I think, although the finish may wear off the guitar will last forever. I'd probably never gig without a backup, but if I did I could get away with it with this guitar, even if it is my backup guitar (the beast is slightly better).

Excellent set up, BC Rich are an excellent brand for setting up their guitars, both I have were perfect when I first played them. The only slight problem is that ironbirds are neck heavy, but all it takes is a breif adjustment between songs to sort that problem out.

2003 Body Art series guitar, similar spec to Platinum series. 24 jumbo frets, maple bolt-on neck and basswood body. String through body and passive bdsm humbucker with volume. Not as tweakable as my Brass City Beast but I love the sound it gives so its all good, although I wanna put dimarzio, Duncan or EMG pickups in both guitars.