Standard Warbeast review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Standard Warbeast

Price paid: £ 259.93

Purchased from: JG Windows Newcastle

This guitar is more suited towards the metal end of music. I play things such as Metallica and BFMV so this guitar was great for me. When played through my Fender Frontman 15G I couldn't hear a difference between the sound of my Warbeast and my Squier Strat. However, when i plug my headphones into my Zoom G2.1Nu effect processor and play it through that I can hear a definate difference between the sounds. The sound is thick and aggressive, just as I was hoping for in this guitar. Power chords and palm mutes sound great through this guitar. With having a Floyd Rose installed it comes with a whammy bar and I have to say that it sounds brilliant. Even though I havn't used the tone control much I can hear a definate change in the tone of the guitar when it is fiddled with. Overall, very pleasing sound and would be better with a better amp.

I play metal music, mainly Metallica and the sound is aggresive enough for this type of music. I have been playing for about 10 month now, and have had one guitar besides this which is a Squier Strat and this excel's that. It will sound much better when I get my new amp from the money I make off my current amp and my Squier, but that is usual with a better amp. I love this guitar, besides the hassle of setting it up the first time it is great and I am happy with my choice. If this guitar was stolen or lost I would be heartbroken, I am very possesive to things like this. I would most deffo get the same guitar. I love and hate the Floyd Rose. Even though it is my first encounter I already love being able to pull the whammy back as well as pushing it forward. I hate the first time setup, but it is worth it, I also like having 24 frets rather than only 20. I did a lot of research before getting my guitar, and chose this one as it sounded most aggressive for it's low price. Overall, marvelous guitar!

I believe if you were to take this guitar for live playing it would withstand it, however if you're planning on using multiple tunings then take seprate guitars for the tunings as changing tuning on this guitar is a long process. The hardware seems very sturdy, and doesn't look like will break in the future even if I were to drop the guitar, which I wouldn't as the strap buttons are sturdy. The finish seems scratch resistant (I've had to take a lot of screwdrivers to this and it still looks great).

The action on this guitar is much higher than my Squier Strat, and that shocked me. I have still found it easy to adjust to the new action feeling and therefore don't find any problems with this. The only problem I had when I got it was that the Bridge was pulled further down on one side, but I easily sorted that out with a adjustment to the spring tension. Also, the strings supplied with the guitar were very grubby and dead, but I believe this is due to people trying the guitar out however I found this very annoying as I'm not used to restringing and tuning a Floyd Rose and it took me the excess of 3 days to sort it out. Overall, good setup.

'Made in China' is written in large black letters across the back of the headstock, so no guesses where this guitar was made. There is 24 jumbo frets on a (what I believe to be) rather fat, bolt-on neck. The body is mahogany and the neck and headstock are maple with a rosewood fretboard. I have no idea what most these finishes are so all im gonna say is it's painted a sparkly silver. The body has two horns where the neck joins the body and two spikes at the bottom of the body. The Bridge is a Floyd Rose licensed Bridge (which I had problems with when it came to restringing, however that was the shops fault for poor upkeep as well as me using 10 gauge to be awkward). There is two knobs and a 3 way selector on this guitar. A master volume knob, a master tone knob and a 3 way selector to choose between bridge, neck or both pickups. The two pickups on this guitar are Rockfield Mafia's.I believe this guitar was second hand, as there was no box to store it in and no accessories included. Overall, this is only my second guitar to my Squier Strat and I believe it is well equiped for someone like me.

j-falafel
    _flea_
    j-falafel wrote: The only turn-off is the Floyd Rose. I have a BC Rich Wartribe, and it has a Kahler tremolo, and that's so much better than Floyd Rose.
    I misread that for 'I have a BC Rich Wardrobe' ... that would be pretty immense.
    blackbird51
    Gman400
    blackbird51 wrote: dude you fail at reviewing. tell us the specs, type of pickups, type of Floyd, Scale Length, etc etc.....
    Maybe those things should be included for convenience, but those descriptions are listed on any site the guitar is sold. You can easily find it for yourself. Reviews are mainly for personal opinions and descriptions of how the guitar feels and sounds. Also I think the "You should legally have to own 50 guitars before reviewing or talking about them" was sarcastic....
    Leather Sleeves
    He did give most of that information anyway.
    MetalSlayerLADC
    Leather Sleeves
    MetalSlayerLADC wrote: Hey what type of tremolo system does it hold and does it have tuning locks? i think i can see the lock but i definetely cant see what type of tremolo system it has
    It says in the review it has a licensed floyd rose, however, there are many warbeasts with a floyd original. I'm pretty sure his guitar is similar to this one except for the OFR and the neck construction(basically a cheaper version) http://www.bcrich.com/warbeast_wmd.asp And it would definatly have tuning locks.
    jeffmetalhead
    Although it's not the best review at least they where honest. Certainly better than some i have read.
    Slaytan666
    That may be a bit overboard, but you have a point. A fender strat squire isn't a good comparison for this guitar.. I'd like to read a review written by someone who knows more about guitars than I do. Not a bad review, just not as informed as I was hoping from a guitar site.
    XtheAxeman
    swatspeedman
    SSampuser68 wrote: Not trying to tell you how to spend your money, but it would have made more sense to buy a new amp.
    Yeah, I know. I bought a new guitar so i could sell my current guitar (the strat) as well as the amp. Until I get my new amp I'm using my effect processor with headphones (:
    swatspeedman
    TheRampantWhale wrote: RockGuitarist09 wrote: JG windows is a pretty bad store. Guitarguitar is better.Yeah, JG Windows is a rip off. I think the standard Warbeasts/Warlocks are around 200 in GG.
    I went to GG first and it cost more
    swatspeedman
    XtheAxeman wrote: decent review, was kinda surprised he said he took 3 days to sort out the trem, my first floyd took about 3 hours of life before everything was good.
    It was my first try with a Floyd Rose and I had no idea how to do it. Found some guy on youtube who sorted it though so it now takes about half hour to restring and tune
    swatspeedman
    Slaytan666 wrote: A fender strat squire isn't a good comparison for this guitar.. I'd like to read a review written by someone who knows more about guitars than I do.
    I know what you mean, it helps to have someone with experience but I thought I may as well provide my imput anyway. I know a squier is nothing to compare to a warbeast but it's all I've had before this. Sorry.
    swatspeedman
    MetalSlayerLADC wrote: does it have tuning locks?
    If that is those plastic blocks at the top of the fretboard that covers the strings then yes.
    blackbird51
    hahahaha Kahler better than a Floyd, you make me laugh.
    corrda00
    Great reveiw man. Its a lot less biased than most of the straight 10 reviews on this site.
    mattsmailbox619
    I just bought the same guitar (warbeast w/mafia pickups/Floyd), I love this guitar. My question is... does anyone know what year my BC Rich Warbeast Standard was made???
    MrWilson6
    Leon987
    MrWilson6 wrote: Seems a nice metal guitar to start out with Decent review too well done! By the way do you realise that you can also push and pull the whammy on a strat???
    he means that he only can lower notes with his whammy on the strat, whilst with the floyd he can also make them higher, i guess. BTW, very nice review btw, finally something else then the all 10 reviews
    killeraxeboy
    MrWilson6 wrote: By the way do you realise that you can also push and pull the whammy on a strat???
    what strat have you got? i can only push mine forwards too otherwise good review even though i don't like the guitar. looks like you could kill someone with that bodyshape
    HxC Cody
    Great guitar!!! Had one for a very long time, This bad boy will play the sickest metal licks out there, Change out the pick ups and tighten the action and your gold!!!
    Vypor
    Eh, for one I'm not so sure a guitar from China is the best option, but thats just my opinion. I'm also not particularly attracted to guitars that look like they were made for gargoyles.
    Shinozoku
    Spend a buck on a small precision ruler/depth gauge and test the heights of the trem posts to see if that might be the problem of the bridge being pulled down to one side. Unless you meant it was leaning too far back or forward. Decent review for a damn decent guitar!
    EpiExplorer
    Hear, hear.
    SSampuser68
    BrandonBeaux
    This guitar is more suited towards the metal end of music.
    No sh*t, just look at it. Could you see, let's say, John Lennon with a Warbeast? That said, really good review, liked how it wasn't straight 10's. I agree that Floyd Roses weren't invented with convenience in mind. :shrug:
    _LoveFuzz_
    Actually Lennon had an affinity for modern guitars. Check out the Sardonyx guitar he used live. I wouldn't put it past him.
    Miiiiks
    TheRampantWhale
    goodlifebadlife
    Miiiiks wrote: I really wish people who haven't owned or tried a lot of guitars would stop doing reviews. That being said, this guy did a fairly good job at the description, but points are still slightly too high at some places. But I figure that's because I've tried this guitar and I really hated it.
    Yeah you should legally have to own at least 50 guitars before you can review or even talk about them.