Stealth One review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Stealth One

Purchased from: Ebay

I bought this guitar in an effort to get a guitar that would pump out some heavy distortion for hard rock and metal. Judging by the brand, I thought I would be getting that kind of sound but no. This guitar has a mild amount of distortion. Its pretty sad because my $100 First Act pumps out more distortion than this thing. This guitar is good for a more classic rock sound. I am disappointed with the sound. I think maybe different pickups will help.

Metal/hard rock is my style. This guitar is barely usable as a metal guitar. I have been playing for 8 years and own other guitars and I think this one is a very good budget guitar. If I could have played it to hear what it sounded like before I bought it, I probably wouldn't have bought it. If it were to get lost or stolen, I would probably just get something else. Love the shape, hate the sound. I wish it had better stock pickups and a Floyd tremolo.

It can perfectly withstand live playing and I speak from experience. Hardware is very durable. Strap buttons have a design flaw as stated above. I would use it on a gig yes. Finish is also very durable. Should work great at any gig. If it is a long gig, you may have to retune it.

Guitar was set up great at the factory. Pickups were adjusted at a normal height and bridge was mounted great. Bridge buzzes alot but can be fixed. The guitar contained no flaws except for strap hooks which are placed in spots that make the guitar tilt over when you play standing up. I drilled another hole to put the strap hook in and it fixed this. Very hard to control the tilt onstage trust me I've done it.

24 Jumbo frets on this guitar. Solid-top. Solid black finish. This guitar has a very unique body style. Shaped kind of like an "x". Bridge is a very nasty and buzzy tune-o-matic. Passive pickups. 3-way selector between 2 humbuckers. B.C. Rich BDSM pickups. Tuners are very good and keep those strings in tune.

tyrogue
    Seems like you'll get a decent guitar if you pop in some high output pickups in that thing.
    SlayerFinalSix
    Heys guys, just to clear things up, I had already tried adjusting the pickups and it still sounded like crap.
    brunopastor
    no doubt, you just need a "Chuck Schuldiner Stealth" one... X2N pickup, you see... a bomb...
    Xykruzine
    From the look and your description, this guitar sounds remarkably similar to my old Ibanex Axstar, made in the mid-80s. It has a pair of low-gain humbuckers; the selling point at the time was "low sustain", so you could hear each note when shredding like crazy. Even the problem with balance and tilting are the same. I suspect to fix the balance, the upper horn needs to be made longer and the strap fixed to the tip (or an extension bolt, maybe?) Never tried it myself on my Axstar, just a guess. You do get used to it, though.
    matthewattfield
    I recently brought this guitar second hand, it's nice, nothing special, it has a massive neck dive problem, with the stock set-up. I did find the pickups really good, but the shop owner said the old pickups were damaged so he replaced them with a set of EMG's so i can't really say anything about the stock pickups, but the neck and access to all frets is really good.
    K!!LsWiTcH
    engineno9 wrote: Man, I totally know what you're talking about. I hate guitars that don't put out enough distortion. That's why I own a bunch of Deans and BC Richs. I get nothing but BRUTAL distortion out of my Spider IV. And when I need to switch to a clean tone I use my Squire strat (which doesn't put out enough distortion, just cleans)
    i cant tell if this is sarcastic...
    engineno9
    K!!LsWiTcH
    i have a bc richand have owned it for 3 or 4 years. bc rich mockingbird. it seems like a lot of their guitars have badly placed strap buttons because mine, and other richs ive played all do the neck dive. also, theyre great metal guitars for cheap after a pup swap like i did, but honestly, if you pay even just a couple hundred more, youll see a substantial increase in the overall quality of the instrument. mine stays in tune fairly well, especially for c standard, but from what ive seen esp and schecter seem to offer the best budget guitars with heavy metal sound and playability. from what ive heard schecter also has great qc
    Lord_Doku
    Raise the pickups first. They won't scream if they are too far down. Then decide whether you want different pickups or not.
    COREYTAYLOR721
    it is funny some of the gear that gets reviewed on here this is a horrible guitar. playing it through a first act amp u prob need like at least a ds-1 mt-2 or something try a big muff. u get what u pay bro hoping a cheap guitar will match a more expensive one with much better materials and build quality is really a joke.
    eduardo.holanda
    I have that guitar and is great, is comfortable and the shape is nice but the body is lighter than your scale.
    draveniscool2
    I Want the same guitar for the same price, but i can't find the same stealth ( not a tribute to Chuck )
    magicmountain
    i own 3 b.c. riches and love them because they are made great. i dont understand why some of my friends say they are garbage. i was thinking about getting this guitar as my next so this review helped my decision to buy yet another b.c. rich guitar!