The Deceiver review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: The Deceiver

Purchased from: Percy Prior's Music Salisbury

The Deceiver is a typical metaller's guitar. Thus, it sounds like one. The single coil pickup creates a beefy, although muffled, tone. Great for beefing up a song, but it's a rhythm only zone. The humbucker is great for anything. It gives a nice sharp, but still heavy, tone that is perfect for lead-work and sounds just as good when playing rhythm parts. Using a 10-watt Marshall set to overdrive, it sound great for anything, especially Black Sabbath and similar styles. And through my Hughes & Kettner Warp Factor dist. pedal, it sounds heavier than a particularly heavy bus, although sometimes a little dampened. On the clean channel of the little Marshall, it can produce sharp but smooth sounding melodies great for a contrast to a heavy chorus or interlude. I doubt many people who have bought this guitar will be playing anything other than Metal, but those who choose to be different and play other styles will find this guitar beefs up any dull sounding punk songs or soft rock. Those who like to play a little blues every now-and-then will be disappointed. It is very hard to get this guitar to produces light bluesy sounds or any light sounds what-so-ever. The Deceiver just doesn't like blues, funk, pop-rock and similar styles.

A good guitar with minor problems that are easily solved. The perfect friend for a meteller in need of a guitar to play, this guitar is durable and likes a good beating. This limited edition is priced at 325, although I managed to get mine from Percy Prior's in Salisbury for 199.99 and they have since lowered the prices of the BCRich body art collection once again. If there is a BCRich like mine up for sale, snap it up. It will last a long time.

This guitar will take almost anything you throw at it, unless of course you decide to throw a large object at it rather than fret-melting soloing. The hardware is as durable as the rest of the guitar and seems like it will last longer than the guitar itself. Unfortunately, I have found one problem, the strap buttons seem to become loose very easily and sometimes the screw slips, but that can be solved by a match-stick and some glue. For gigging, it's great. I would happily play for hours on stage without worrying about anything going wrong. The finnish copes very well with heavy strumming and only picks up minor scratches. Although, there is a crack in the finnish, where the neck meets the body.

A beautiful guitar to play, whether you're playing a soft, clean riff or you're beating it up with the distortion turned up high. It left the factory in tip-top condition, it seems. I could find no problem other than a rattle around the fifth fret on the bottom e string, although that may be my skills as it seems to have stopped this. Another problem is that the top E string breaks at the tuning pegs far too quickly. I believe the tuning pegs may be sharp around the edges of the hole. I managed to solve this, however, with D'adderio strings; which seem to take this in their stride and any heavy-handedness you throw their way. The graphic is one of 4 snakes coiled round the body of the guitar and was designed by 'skate the planet' (ironicly for a metaller's guitar). The finnish gives a Shine to the guitar, but not enough to hide the snakes in bright lights.

- Made: March 2003 in China - Frets: 24 (jumbo) - Neck: maple, natural satin finish - Fingerboard: rosewood - Body: basswood, single ply - Bridge: string-thru body - Hardware: 1 volume & 1 tone knob and a 3-way pickup selector. - Pickups: single coil at neck (BCRich BDSM), and humbucker at bridge (BCRich Dual Rail) - Tuners: BCRich sealed die-cast.

mistersean86
    I just bought this guitar and started playing last week. I couldn't be happier with it. I can't put it down. I had an acoustic since christmas, but just never had the desire to play it for more than a few minutes every now and then. After buying this I can't stop playing. I love this guitar.
    sticky1620
    I have had this guitar for two years now and it has never failed to impress me. Gives the perfect sound for whatever is needed. I managed to pick mine up for 60 off the net so I am absolutely chuffed with it.
    louwen
    I can pick one of these up at the local Cash Converters for AUD$315. I know they don't make these anymore, but how much are they worth? It seems pretty similar to my LTD F-10 (same pick-ups, bridge). What do you reckon?
    whencowsfart101
    If this is anything like any of the other pre-2006 BC Richs, it will look and sound amazing...but play like crap.
    yarloe
    beautiful playing and sounding guitar i would say for metal rivals most more expensive ones beautiful and it is double humbucker the front pickup is a dual rail