Virgin VG1 review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Virgin VG1

Price paid: € 179

Purchased from: thoman.de

I have this guitar for almost one year and I know her in and out by now.After all these words of praise, yes I do love her, it's so sad to have to admit that this baby wasn't build for tone really. The stock B.D.S.M. humbuckers are total crap. I mean they are worthless tonewise no matter if tube or transistor amp. There is no way you'll be able to get a decent tone out of them, nada - they just suck. I tried EMG's 81/85 in there and they did sound. Crap as well in this guitar. Actually EMG's sound thin/compressed/undynamic/lifeless in any guitar if you ask me. I guess they only appeal to fanboys of certain bands or peepz Who use tons of effects on their guitar tracks anyway. Right now I have classic OBL XL900's made by "lorenz stich" in this guitar. I dare you to find a better passive humbucker. And yes, the guitar sounds decent now. Some people argue that it aint worth to slap in high end pickups into a cheap guitar and they are somewhat right about this. BUT swapping pickups is the only way to upgrade such a guitar so don't listen to them. The body wood. The worst part about this baby. Agathis isnt very well suited for guitars. As full and surprisingly resonant this guitar sounds "offline", totally love that, as bad does it sound when amplified. Agathis sounds muddy and produces a lot of unwanted mids. Of course you can cope with the eq settings to a certain degree. Still this cannot compare to mahogany or alder at all.

Overall Impression: Excellent choice for beginners or secondary guitar at this price range. Its a lot of fun to play due to the brilliant neck. Plays and sounds great offline, falls apart though when amplified. If this baby was stolen from me, I would sure buy it again unless BC Rich comes up with a sexier virgin.

This thing is very solid and will definitly survive most gigs. Strap buttons are solid but I would suggest to upgrade to a pair of Dunlop flush mount strap locks if you think she is worth it. There are 3 categories where this guitar falls apart a little. One would be the machine heads, it says BC Rich on them and yup they are crap. These machine heads wont stay in tune lets say after a shredding session or a few days in the gigbag. I suggest upgrading to grover mid size rotomatics.

This guitar feels very good, plays perfect while sitting or standing, even lying on my bed (yeah I am one lazy bloke:), due to the body shape. Surprisingly this virgin is very well balanced and came without flaws. The widow headstock looks a bit "top heavy" on pictures at first but luckily that isnt the case at all. The "make it or break it" part of any guitar is it's neck imo. And this is where this baby absolutely shines. It has a veeeery slim D-shaped neck with a fast natural finish on the back of it. This neck is very similar to that of Dean vmnt or Jackson king v, but even slimmer! I just love this neck, it's perfect for speeding - almost addicting! This guitar reminds me greatly of these 80's NJ series BC rich guitars, which is a good thing as these were very well made. At around 200 bucks this BC Rich is a steal you cannot possibly go wrong with. Go buy it, you wont be disappointed if you just wanna play. Looks really cool and not too freaky. I love the embossed silver BC Rich logo on the black headstock. If you want a virgin, vg1's are the only model on the market right now.

Says "made in china" on the sticker on back of the headstock. This guitar must have been manufactured in late '07. This cutie has Standard 24 frets. Body is agathis, the neck is made of maple with a rosewood fretboard. High gloss black onyx finish with chrome hardware. Passive B.D.S.M. humbuckers with a three way toggle Switch. Standard BC Rich tuners. It came with a flimsy guitar wire in a sexy BC Rich cardboard box.