Virgin VG1 Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 03/24/2011 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: Virgin VG1
These dynamic guitars include the B.C. Rich trademark widow headstock. Also featured is a bolt on maple neck, two humbucker pickups, Chrome hardware, master volume, master tone and three way toggle. The VG1 is offered in black and white.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 8.8
 6,494
reviews (4) 51 comments vote for this gear:
Virgin VG1 Reviewed by: Chris Myers32, on october 01, 2007

Features: This guitar I believe was Made in 2006, because Last year it said It was brand new on the website. Made in Japan. The maple neck is bolted on with 4 screws to the body. It's an Agathis body, with a beveled Top. Wrap around stop bar tail peice. 2 BDSM Active humbuckers. Volume and Tone knobs, and pickup toggle Switch. Non-locking B.C. Rich tuners. It has scale 24.7 jumbo frets. 24 of them. It came with a cheap guitar L guitar chord. // 7

Sound: I play metal. well I call it metal. A lot of people would call it Different things. Like nu metal, or Hardcore, or w/e other random genres there are. It's heavy, it has distortion, and it isn't anything like those emo/screamo bands. I call it metal. This guitar fits it just under the mark of perfectly. It has a bit more of a brighter tone than the Warlock that I use. It's great for higher tunings like C# and up, but once you put it in anything lower, it kinda sounds like it's straining to keep tone. If that makes any sence. The warlock is great in all tunings I've used, but I keep the Virgin in drop D, and sometimes Standard E, when I'm learning a new scale or chord. It has good feedback, but not the kind that squeels unless your right up next to the amp. It works well with my style once again, I use a lot of pinch harmonics, and it picks those sounds up nicely. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It came with the bridge pickup alittle higher than ususal, but when I moved it down, it didn't sound as good so I leave it, up, but I did have to lower the neck pickup to get it to sound right. It stays in tune nicely also. Other than the pickups being slightly adjusted weird, it came perfect. It fits your hands perfectly, well at least mine, because the back of the neck is rounded and thick, so it fits into your palm. The toggle switch does make a bit of an extra noise when switching it, but only if your just sittin there and muting the strings, if your in the middle of the song it won't make a sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is sturdy and stays in tune, even in extreme temperatures. I leave my gear out in my jeep a lot of the time. And recently it's been hitting the nineties and it's in a school parking lot so it's on black top. The neck hasn't warped, and the tuning if anything is only a half step flat. It's finish isn't as tough as warlocks. I've hit my warlock on just about everything, and it has only one scratch. Barely visible because it's from my belt so it's on the back. The Virgin fell off my car seat and hit my tire iron. It now has some chips in the bottom. It doesn't change the soudn any, but doesn't look good. It would withstand a Live show, as long as you not throwing it at objects, but anybbody Who respects their gear won't be hitting it on everything. I would trust to play it without a backup, but I wouldn't be able to. I use a couple different tunings, and It takes it a while to get used to a new tuning, but Once it does, it doesn't move. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal. I've been Playing for about 2 1/2 years now. I own a Fender Strat, and Austin Strat, a Warlock, and a Line 6 Spider 2. I use E Wave Chords and Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings. I would bu yanother one if it was stolen. My guitars and equipment are Very Important to me. I value them over anything else I own. I love this Guitar. I call it My Virgin. as it is a Virgin, and my warlock is "my baby". It was the first guitar I bought with my own money that I actualy worked for. Manual labor, not that pussy fast food resturant stuff. This is a good guitar, but I would recommend playing it at a guitar center or watching a demonstration video before actualy buying it. It has a select sound. // 10

Virgin VG1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 08, 2008

Price paid: € 179

Purchased from: thoman.de

Features: Says "made in china" on the sticker on back of the headstock. This guitar must have been manufactured in late '07. This cutie has Standard 24 frets. Body is agathis, the neck is made of maple with a rosewood fretboard. High gloss black onyx finish with chrome hardware. Passive B.D.S.M. humbuckers with a three way toggle Switch. Standard BC Rich tuners. It came with a flimsy guitar wire in a sexy BC Rich cardboard box. // 7

Sound: I have this guitar for almost one year and I know her in and out by now.After all these words of praise, yes I do love her, it's so sad to have to admit that this baby wasn't build for tone really. The stock B.D.S.M. humbuckers are total crap. I mean they are worthless tonewise no matter if tube or transistor amp. There is no way you'll be able to get a decent tone out of them, nada - they just suck. I tried EMG's 81/85 in there and they did sound. Crap as well in this guitar. Actually EMG's sound thin/compressed/undynamic/lifeless in any guitar if you ask me. I guess they only appeal to fanboys of certain bands or peepz Who use tons of effects on their guitar tracks anyway. Right now I have classic OBL XL900's made by "lorenz stich" in this guitar. I dare you to find a better passive humbucker. And yes, the guitar sounds decent now. Some people argue that it aint worth to slap in high end pickups into a cheap guitar and they are somewhat right about this. BUT swapping pickups is the only way to upgrade such a guitar so don't listen to them. The body wood. The worst part about this baby. Agathis isnt very well suited for guitars. As full and surprisingly resonant this guitar sounds "offline", totally love that, as bad does it sound when amplified. Agathis sounds muddy and produces a lot of unwanted mids. Of course you can cope with the eq settings to a certain degree. Still this cannot compare to mahogany or alder at all. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar feels very good, plays perfect while sitting or standing, even lying on my bed (yeah I am one lazy bloke:), due to the body shape. Surprisingly this virgin is very well balanced and came without flaws. The widow headstock looks a bit "top heavy" on pictures at first but luckily that isnt the case at all. The "make it or break it" part of any guitar is it's neck imo. And this is where this baby absolutely shines. It has a veeeery slim D-shaped neck with a fast natural finish on the back of it. This neck is very similar to that of Dean vmnt or Jackson king v, but even slimmer! I just love this neck, it's perfect for speeding - almost addicting! This guitar reminds me greatly of these 80's NJ series BC rich guitars, which is a good thing as these were very well made. At around 200 bucks this BC Rich is a steal you cannot possibly go wrong with. Go buy it, you wont be disappointed if you just wanna play. Looks really cool and not too freaky. I love the embossed silver BC Rich logo on the black headstock. If you want a virgin, vg1's are the only model on the market right now. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is very solid and will definitly survive most gigs. Strap buttons are solid but I would suggest to upgrade to a pair of Dunlop flush mount strap locks if you think she is worth it. There are 3 categories where this guitar falls apart a little. One would be the machine heads, it says BC Rich on them and yup they are crap. These machine heads wont stay in tune lets say after a shredding session or a few days in the gigbag. I suggest upgrading to grover mid size rotomatics. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall Impression: Excellent choice for beginners or secondary guitar at this price range. Its a lot of fun to play due to the brilliant neck. Plays and sounds great offline, falls apart though when amplified. If this baby was stolen from me, I would sure buy it again unless BC Rich comes up with a sexier virgin. // 8

Virgin VG1 Reviewed by: metal4ursoul, on february 13, 2009

Features: This beauty of a guitar was made in Korea. It came with Standard passive B.D.S.M. pickups, and a Floyd Rose Patent whammy bar. I bought it used so it wasn't in the best condition, but it plays like it is! the Virgin has 24 maple wood jumbo frets, and a neck to kill for. Although the back of the neck isn't beveled, you'll have no problem reaching the high frets. It also has one tone, and one volume control on ether side of a 3-way Switch. For a Floyd Rose, it stays in tune very well, as long as you don't mess with the fine tuners too much. I recently had a EVH D-tuna installed on it, so a block had to be put in. Now it stays in tune better than before. // 10

Sound: I play a mixture of music, ranging from classical, to metal, to blues, and this guitar suits all of them. When I play, I play through a Traynor Reverb Mate 3.0, with the Zoom G-1 effects pedal. The pickup Switch works great. As for noise, the louder the better! The kinds of sounds that the guitar can make depends on what string you use. I use D'Addario, witch give the guitar a nice full sound. When I use Ernie Ball, I can get a Really bright sound. With the G-1, you can get any sound you want. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The Guitar is very well setup, and with tha action as low as it is, you can play as fast as you can. The bridge came well set, and so did the pickups. As far as I can tell the guitar contains no flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is the most solid guitar I have ever held. You could hang a trailer off of the strap buttons and nothing would happen. As for gigs and Live playing, I would go on tour with just this guitar. It'll also look as good as when you bought it after along time. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a perfect match for just about any style of music. I have been playing metal for just over 2 years, and it plays like a dream. I would buy this guitar again without hesitation if it was ever stolen. my favorite part about it is that the action is so low, not so low that you have no sustain, but low so that you can still play fast as hell! // 10

Virgin VG1 Reviewed by: Santaslaya, on march 24, 2011

Purchased from: Jville Guitar

Features: year made- not none 24 frets black finish passive pickups 1 volume and 1 tone knob solid top 3 way pickup selector b.c rich passive humbuckers includes a hard case if bought new full scale made in china non-locking tuners // 7

Sound: I play mainly death metal, punk, and hard rock, I use a 25 watt peavy vypr, it sounds good in just about any tuning especially drop c and drop b tuning. Its extremely simple to play the neck is made for easy play especially towards to the lower neck for your insane solos and such. I have used many effects on it and the pickups work so nicely that it makes any effect sound extremely good. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I have no idea how good it was set up at the factory I bought this guitar used, although the action is extremly nice I usually have it low though. The pickups are in just the right spot they have this durable type of sound to them, only flaw abut the guitar is the finish its extremly easy to scratch up and it has a pretty noisy pickup selector. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It would make a good backup guitar live I have used it and its durable enough both physically and in sound for live play. The hardware is extremely durable, in 5 years only thing you'll have to replace unless your a bit clumsy is the strings. As for the finish I'll admit it does not last very long mine has many scratches on its surface. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall its a pretty nice guitar for all forms of rock and heavy metal, I have been playing for almost 2 years now, only thing I wish I had before I bought this guitar was a better amp I would suggest getting a amp with decent or better tone to it such as a Marshall or Line 6 or whatever, I wish it had a Floyd Rose on it that would be extremely nice plus somehow a wammy bar would be cool too. // 9

Comments