Warbeast Bloodbound review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Warbeast Bloodbound

Purchased from: ebay

The sound of this guitar would best suit extreme Metal genre variants, such as black metal and thrash. The strong and dark sound of this guitar complements extreme music well, but even in Standard EADGBE tuning it would not suit very bright playing patterns at all. As a personal preference, I keep my very own Bloodbound in one step down tuning at all times (DGCFAD). In combination with Ernie Ball 12-56 gauge strings it's a very idiosyncratic sound which produces heavy dark to medium bright sounds when used for chords and rhythm patterns, and dark to bright lead patterns. Though it's not a simple task to sum up such a heavy sound with mere words, I can easily say there's more basses with such a heavy sound than there are electric guitars. Though the variety of sounds this guitar can produce is fairly broad in Standard tuning, producing bright chords and lead patterns is not what this guitar was designed for. It is a specialist guitar for heavy, dark sounds. If you want an average sounding guitar, I'd advise you get something else. I use this guitar in conjunction with a 15 watt Marshall amp which can produce enough sound to annoy the neighbors and to let me hear every detail of what I'm playing. I use a ''Boss HM-2'' heavy metal effects pedal which gives the sound of the Bloodbound a grungy edge, taking out the dark roar and replacing it with a very electric rattling sound. I mostly use the effects pedal in conjunction with horror/punk playing patterns.

I bought this guitar 'cus it suited me in both appearance and in my sound preferences. I do not like bright sounding guitars as they are more attributed to music that I dislike (sell outs, emo and pop). I like dark, aggressive sounding guitars, which in my home town are non-existent in the local music stores, hence the reason why I buy my own musical equipment from shops on ebay. I wish there would have been more information available on this guitar before I'd bought it, rather than merely vague descriptions. If there had have been more accurate descriptions then I would have bought the guitar even sooner than I originally did. If this guitar was ever stolen I'd find out Who stole it and then castrate them... But revenge aside, I would undoubtedly buy another Bloodbound, and if not the same Warbeast then definitely a B.C, Rich. I'd have to say I don't hate anything about it. I was shocked that I got a guitar that was so specialized to my personal preferences for so cheap. There is nothing else I'd want in appearance, but if I were to change any of the hardware then It would be to replace the BDSM pickups with EMG's, but that's not entirely necessary for the moment considering that I am merely an intermediate guitarist for the moment. My favorite feature would have to be the neck and the head - It puts other so-called heavy guitars like Dean's and ESP's firmly in second place because the shape and size make the guitar look more like a weapon than a musical instrument. It has huge presence in sound and appearance, and there's nothing I'd change about it. If I were to compare it to other guitars then it'd have to be compared to other Warbeasts - such as the Warbeast WMD, which is little more than a fancy version of the Bloodbound. As I said before, some EMG pickups would suit it nicely but that's about all that I'd like to upgrade. I'm not fond of whammy bars or too many fancy extras, so I feel it's best left as it is.

I have encountered no problems after several months of quite intensive playing with this guitar. Though I am not in a band, if I were then I would find this guitar to be highly controllable, reliable and efficient - I've even thrown it upon losing my temper on the occasion and it still plays just as well as it did the day I got it. The paintwork has held up well, and though it requires quite a bit of aesthetic maintenance due to the gloss finish, it's finish has still not dulled. The strap pegs are positioned on parts of the guitar where they do not bare weight when the guitar is put down, and in combination with my strap it has not slipped once. I doubt that I'd need a backup to this guitar, as in several months of playing 4-5 hours a day (I'm a student with a lot of time on his hands! ) I have not had to resort to playing on my old Stagg L-320 once. I think the Bloodbound deserves a 6 in this category, simply because it takes a fair bit of aesthetic maintenance, and because of it's dramatic colour scheme, if it's finish were to be damaged even slightly it would not look good.

Due to the fact that I bought my very own Bloodbound from a store ready prepared, it is difficult to comment on how the guitar is received from the factory - But, upon re-tuning it myself I found all of the machine heads to be responsive and balanced. I was surprised to find the paintwork containing no flaws, as most highly contrasting colour schemes tend to have minor deficiencies. All of the hardware was perfectly aligned with even the sound and tone dials set at half way points. As I said before, I bought my Bloodbound from a shop so it's difficult for me to do anything other than guess at it's original condition, but saying that I realize that unless you buy directly from a factory then you'll most likely buy from a store, and whether they set up the guitar for you depends on the store that you bought it from. I've only given it a rating of 5 because I do not know the original condition of this guitar when it was received by the store.

What initially struck me about this guitar was the distinctive appearance for it's price range. Combining the best elements of both the Warlock and the Beast bodies with a contrasting colour scheme of black with a red pinstripe, this Warbeast is striking and attention grabbing even before you've started playing it. To many guitarists the jagged, dark appearance would seem over the top, but as with anything concerning music, rating the appearance is simply a matter of opinion. Some features that are difficult to ascertain from B\.C\. Rich's own vague description of this guitar are features such as the neck, which is black even on the back (a rare feature on E-Guitars), and the fretboard is only just off-black ebony wood that doesn't spoil the dark theme. The B\.C\. Rich logo and the Diamond shaped fret inlays are a highly contrasting blood red colour, the same colour as the pinstripe. I shall now list many of the other features that are best left alone in their own specific paragraphs so you can read about certain features without having to dig through huge paragraphs (Aren't I thoughtful? ). The finish is an almost mirror reflective gloss which even after months of intensive playing has still not dulled. The only accessory included with the guitar was a jack lead which works just as well as my own expensive Venom Cobra cables. The hardware is all coloured gloss black, with the exception of the metal on the fretboard. The tuners and the volume/tone dials are non-locking, but I have not had any problems with catching these sensitive parts while playing. There is a volume control, a three way selector and a tone control mounted on the guitar. Even though I am sure it was made recently, I cannot ascertain when It was made, though I do know that it was made in China. The bridge style is string-thru-body which feed through to the rear of the guitar. ... and as I mentioned earlier, the body is a hybrid between the lower part of a Warlock and the upper half and neck of a Beast. The body is constructed from basswood and the neck is bolt on maple, with a black B\.C\. Rich logo-plate bolted on with the neck. If there is anything you urgently need to know that I have not mentioned here then feel free to message me with questions.

GuitarPlayer716
    But seriously, at least it was very fair and thorough review, not one of these people who think they need to give their new guitar all 9s and 10s. Oh, and 2nd
    decayingdave
    gtmom wrote: LOL! What a funny review! You've been playing five months? Hahaha! You're a bit pompous.
    I there a single thing you haven't had to yell at me about on this site? You freak, get yourself some friends.
    gtmom
    GuitarPlayer716
    Kneusje wrote: Crap guys sorry I was hoping I could edit that message. Regardless, the guitar looks like my mother on a sundaymorning-hangover.
    Hahahahahahahahahaha, +1
    Kneusje
    Angels Fighter
    6Tab6Man6 wrote: These are awesome, I'm getting one as soon as I can sell my damn JR-V. Btw you said you bought it off ebay but then again you said you got it from a store...also 150 is real cheap (assuming you bought it new).
    A lot of stores deal through E-bay. They can afford to keep costs down to the minimul staff required etc...
    6Tab6Man6
    forgotten-son
    fair review man bu tit is a very nice guitar lol i had 1 for like months naw and its all good its all good
    MetalMoses x
    A fair review, and well written, but I disagree with your comparing B.C. Riches to Deans. as a metal musician, It is my opinion that cheep B.C. Riches have an almost unbearable tone. Though I like some of their more expensive models it seems that their cheep ones are just shotty hardware strapped on cool looking bodies. I believe that they tend to be too crunchy and smash every note in a chord together like you'd expect from some crappy local death metal band. I honestly think that a Dean ML is a better buy, just because there is more attention payed to the sound of the guitar and not Just the appearance. It is easier to get a "skillful" sound out of an ML. Just my opinion, you don't have to shoot it down.
    Amadeus_Wolves
    Dude, if EMG's give the tone you need, get em. Who gives a damn what "level" of guitarist you are? I fitted an 81 to my Flying V cause I wanted more grunt. That aside, fantastic review. Well written and very informative.
    ElectriPUNK
    [quote]Sgt.Slippy wrote: i'd buy it. i own a bronze warlock and it plays great. Id buy it too, then take band saw to those stupid spike things then spray paint it somthin besides black
    Xx_banx
    YourVillain wrote: Very fair review, one of the better ones I've seen. Occasionally you were too profligate with unnecessary vocabulary, but that has little relevance to the review itself, which I felt was very balanced. Though personally I wouldn't buy a guitar like that in a million years, it obviously suits you well, and you managed to get across its adequateness for you personally while retaining a balanced viewpoint. Congrats, in other words.
    are you kidding me, dude? this is a guitarist's tab site and you're talkin like my old ass english teacher. in fact, i find you a little too profligate with unnecessary vocabulary. but i guess its just the adequateness of my balanced veiwpoint whatthe****
    Sgt.Slippy
    i'd buy it. i own a bronze warlock and it plays great. of course i had to lower the bridge and raise the humbuckers to make it sound worth a shit, but now it sounds mean. scorching highs, and heavier-than-Don Vito lows.
    Blas3
    She must be a nice woman XDDDDD
    YourVillain
    Rukasu Rindu
    Amadeus_Wolves wrote: Fantasic review. Well written and very informative.
    That's all that have to be said. And sorry for removing two thirds of your comment. ;p