Warbeast Bloodbound Review

2,227
reviews (3) pictures (1) 31 comments vote for this gear:
Warbeast Bloodbound Reviewed by: decayingdave, on january 26, 2009

Purchased from: ebay

Features: What initially struck me about this guitar was the distinctive appearance for it's price range. Combining the best elements of both the Warlock and the Beast bodies with a contrasting colour scheme of black with a red pinstripe, this Warbeast is striking and attention grabbing even before you've started playing it. To many guitarists the jagged, dark appearance would seem over the top, but as with anything concerning music, rating the appearance is simply a matter of opinion. Some features that are difficult to ascertain from B\.C\. Rich's own vague description of this guitar are features such as the neck, which is black even on the back (a rare feature on E-Guitars), and the fretboard is only just off-black ebony wood that doesn't spoil the dark theme. The B\.C\. Rich logo and the Diamond shaped fret inlays are a highly contrasting blood red colour, the same colour as the pinstripe. I shall now list many of the other features that are best left alone in their own specific paragraphs so you can read about certain features without having to dig through huge paragraphs (Aren't I thoughtful? ). The finish is an almost mirror reflective gloss which even after months of intensive playing has still not dulled. The only accessory included with the guitar was a jack lead which works just as well as my own expensive Venom Cobra cables. The hardware is all coloured gloss black, with the exception of the metal on the fretboard. The tuners and the volume/tone dials are non-locking, but I have not had any problems with catching these sensitive parts while playing. There is a volume control, a three way selector and a tone control mounted on the guitar. Even though I am sure it was made recently, I cannot ascertain when It was made, though I do know that it was made in China. The bridge style is string-thru-body which feed through to the rear of the guitar. ... and as I mentioned earlier, the body is a hybrid between the lower part of a Warlock and the upper half and neck of a Beast. The body is constructed from basswood and the neck is bolt on maple, with a black B\.C\. Rich logo-plate bolted on with the neck. If there is anything you urgently need to know that I have not mentioned here then feel free to message me with questions. // 9

Sound: The sound of this guitar would best suit extreme Metal genre variants, such as black metal and thrash. The strong and dark sound of this guitar complements extreme music well, but even in Standard EADGBE tuning it would not suit very bright playing patterns at all. As a personal preference, I keep my very own Bloodbound in one step down tuning at all times (DGCFAD). In combination with Ernie Ball 12-56 gauge strings it's a very idiosyncratic sound which produces heavy dark to medium bright sounds when used for chords and rhythm patterns, and dark to bright lead patterns. Though it's not a simple task to sum up such a heavy sound with mere words, I can easily say there's more basses with such a heavy sound than there are electric guitars. Though the variety of sounds this guitar can produce is fairly broad in Standard tuning, producing bright chords and lead patterns is not what this guitar was designed for. It is a specialist guitar for heavy, dark sounds. If you want an average sounding guitar, I'd advise you get something else. I use this guitar in conjunction with a 15 watt Marshall amp which can produce enough sound to annoy the neighbors and to let me hear every detail of what I'm playing. I use a ''Boss HM-2'' heavy metal effects pedal which gives the sound of the Bloodbound a grungy edge, taking out the dark roar and replacing it with a very electric rattling sound. I mostly use the effects pedal in conjunction with horror/punk playing patterns. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Due to the fact that I bought my very own Bloodbound from a store ready prepared, it is difficult to comment on how the guitar is received from the factory - But, upon re-tuning it myself I found all of the machine heads to be responsive and balanced. I was surprised to find the paintwork containing no flaws, as most highly contrasting colour schemes tend to have minor deficiencies. All of the hardware was perfectly aligned with even the sound and tone dials set at half way points. As I said before, I bought my Bloodbound from a shop so it's difficult for me to do anything other than guess at it's original condition, but saying that I realize that unless you buy directly from a factory then you'll most likely buy from a store, and whether they set up the guitar for you depends on the store that you bought it from. I've only given it a rating of 5 because I do not know the original condition of this guitar when it was received by the store. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I have encountered no problems after several months of quite intensive playing with this guitar. Though I am not in a band, if I were then I would find this guitar to be highly controllable, reliable and efficient - I've even thrown it upon losing my temper on the occasion and it still plays just as well as it did the day I got it. The paintwork has held up well, and though it requires quite a bit of aesthetic maintenance due to the gloss finish, it's finish has still not dulled. The strap pegs are positioned on parts of the guitar where they do not bare weight when the guitar is put down, and in combination with my strap it has not slipped once. I doubt that I'd need a backup to this guitar, as in several months of playing 4-5 hours a day (I'm a student with a lot of time on his hands! ) I have not had to resort to playing on my old Stagg L-320 once. I think the Bloodbound deserves a 6 in this category, simply because it takes a fair bit of aesthetic maintenance, and because of it's dramatic colour scheme, if it's finish were to be damaged even slightly it would not look good. // 6

Overall Impression: I bought this guitar 'cus it suited me in both appearance and in my sound preferences. I do not like bright sounding guitars as they are more attributed to music that I dislike (sell outs, emo and pop). I like dark, aggressive sounding guitars, which in my home town are non-existent in the local music stores, hence the reason why I buy my own musical equipment from shops on ebay. I wish there would have been more information available on this guitar before I'd bought it, rather than merely vague descriptions. If there had have been more accurate descriptions then I would have bought the guitar even sooner than I originally did. If this guitar was ever stolen I'd find out Who stole it and then castrate them... But revenge aside, I would undoubtedly buy another Bloodbound, and if not the same Warbeast then definitely a B.C, Rich. I'd have to say I don't hate anything about it. I was shocked that I got a guitar that was so specialized to my personal preferences for so cheap. There is nothing else I'd want in appearance, but if I were to change any of the hardware then It would be to replace the BDSM pickups with EMG's, but that's not entirely necessary for the moment considering that I am merely an intermediate guitarist for the moment. My favorite feature would have to be the neck and the head - It puts other so-called heavy guitars like Dean's and ESP's firmly in second place because the shape and size make the guitar look more like a weapon than a musical instrument. It has huge presence in sound and appearance, and there's nothing I'd change about it. If I were to compare it to other guitars then it'd have to be compared to other Warbeasts - such as the Warbeast WMD, which is little more than a fancy version of the Bloodbound. As I said before, some EMG pickups would suit it nicely but that's about all that I'd like to upgrade. I'm not fond of whammy bars or too many fancy extras, so I feel it's best left as it is. // 10

Warbeast Bloodbound Reviewed by: Parkesie959, on september 01, 2009

Purchased from: Dolphin Music

Features: Not sure what year it was made, but it was made in China, which only means trouble. It's a 24 Fret, bolt-on, solid body guitar with a string through body, one 3-way toggle Switch, a master volume, a master tone and two BC Rich's BDSM humbucker pickups (BDSM...Joy...) The body is made of basswood, cheap but does the job. The guitar has a flat top. I pickups are passive, as far as I know anyway. The tuners are BC Riches own ones, not TOO bad, but their not Grover if you know what I mean, they turn too easily too. // 7

Sound: The pickups? SH*T, take a crowbar to them if you see BC Rich with these pickups; I mean don't get me wrong, they can do basic rhythm metal easily, but using the higher frets makes the pickups sound like crap, this may be a fault in the wiring, but I can't get the damn cover off anyway so what's the point, I don't think EMG's or anything else will save you here... If you're lucky you can get an okay clean tone on the neck but it takes time to set it up properly. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is WAY too f--king high, the neck dives so badly that it's impossible to get a nice even action that is completely comfortable. The pickups were adjusted okay, I think so anyway, not too close or far away from the strings I think. The binding was flawed in one area, the neck joint, otherwise it's not too bad. The tuners are quite delicate, especially on the high E, when you tune it, it just spins. The black hardware seems to wear off on the bridge, this is from palm muting, parts have turned silver. The red Diamond inlays look pretty badass, that's a plus I guess. As you'd expect from a pointy guitar, the paint WILL chip. Crappy Chinese paint probably. The nut is properly placed too. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Will the guitar withstand Live playing? I wouldn't recommend using it to gig, the pickups are bad and the guitar is bad in general. The hardware will last, but the black paint might ware away at the bridge, not too much of a problem. The strap buttons are solid, never had an accident with them yet, I have a good strap too. If I had any other guitars, I'd use this one as an absolute last resort. The finish will not last at the points, easily chips away. // 5

Overall Impression: They say glam rock is all about the looks, well this guitar certainly lives up to that. Maybe you'd look good playing this in a MUSIC VIDEO, but don't use this Live, unless you have too. I play mainly thrash metal; Megadeth, Metallica and Slayer for example, but I will play other stuff including Kings Of Leon, Eric Clapton, and Pantera. I have been playing for just over a year now but I know enough about guitars to know what's good and what's BAD, I got the guitar because I needed one to replace my Really Bad starter guitar, guess what? Which is Also From China. I damn wish I could get a better one, but my parents are not rich nor poor, the guitar was 150 (Around $300 US Dollars) and I can't get a decent guitar until I move out... (I'm 15) If it was lost or stolen? I wouldn't give a sh*t, I'd pity the thief Who took it. And hopefully get something better. The only good thing is the shape, and the red Diamond inlays. I hope to get a BC Rich Assassin PX3T at some point, it costs 450 and has ALL the features of a professional guitar, including Original Floyd-Rose. Don't Buy Cheap BC Rich's. // 4

Warbeast Bloodbound Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 16, 2011

Purchased from: RockMeiMei

Features: There are 24 frets on a bound rosewood fretboard. The frets stick out on the side of the fretboard on mine. The neck is 25.5" I think. The body and neck woods are basswood, so the guitar is neck heavy. The finish is black as night with red bindings and inlays. The body style is warbeast, which is similar to the warlock. The strings go through the body and the bridge is tune-o-matic. The string holes are misaligned as well. The pickups that it comes with are passive, but I put in EMG's in it, and I currently hate actives because they lack tone and make all guitars sound the same. The sound of the guitar with the original pickups was weak and dull, nothing good at all about this guitar. // 3

Sound: The sound is weak and dull. I have used it with a Fender Frontman 15watt amp, a Randall RG75 G2 and a Marshall JCM 900 and it sounds terrible through all of them. The guitar was noisy when I got it, but with the EMG's it barely makes any noise. For this kind of guitar you are expected to play metal, and it doesn't do it well. It doesn't do justice to any type of music at all. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is thin and gets scraped off by playing (as my nails glide around where there could be a pickguard when I play.) I changed the height of the pickups, I do this with any guitar so I can't say anything here. There are green pieces of something in the red binding and at some places large white piece in it as well. Flaws: Frets go off the fretboard and will cut your hand. The string holes are misaligned. The tuners go out of tune very quickly. The nut is poorly cut and it isn't straight. The original pickups broke after about a month. // 2

Reliability & Durability: I have played live with this guitar, wasn't that fun. Nothing broke off except some of the black finish at the "fingering" area (I have no idea what this place is called, but it is for example where you would have a pickguard on a les paul). The strap buttons are crap, don't trust them. I would never gig with this without a backup, and I would never gig at all with this since I have saved up and bought a Gibson Les Paul about 1.5 years ago. // 1

Overall Impression: This guitar is utter shit. Don't buy it. I have been playing for 3 years approx and I am never again buying or even touching a B.C Rich. If it was stolen I would laugh at the thief, maybe not, but I wouldn't care all that much. I need to have some more words here so: DON'T buy this guitar, it is complete shit and you are going to hate it because it cuts into your knees or legs when you play. // 2

Comments