Warlock Metal Master review by B.C. Rich

• Reviewer's score: 5.4 Decent
B.C. Rich: Warlock Metal Master

I don't really care for this guitar's pickups. They're too dark and muddy sounding. It's mainly a metal guitar, and when I try to "scoop" the mids out to get that really nice metal tone, it's pure muddiness on the neck pickup. The Bridge pickup is slightly less muddy... It's actually a bit too sharp, but still muddy sounding. Sharp, but not bright. Kind of tinny. When I play this guitar (which is rarely), I have to have the EQ on my amp pretty levelled out. Maybe I'll boost the treble & bass a bit, but I HAVE TO have the mids in there as well. I've been playing this guitar through a 160-watt tube amp that my friend made for me. It's a very nice amp, so I'm pretty sure the bad sound is the guitar's fault. I guess you get what you pay for. Surprisingly, this guitar sounds really nice without an amp! It actually sounds better than my Fender H-S-S Stratocaster un-amplified. That's probably due to the wrap-around bridge on the BC Rich which gives it a fuller sound (un-amped, of course) with more sustain. Tremolos really do make a difference there.

Overall, this guitar was a waste of $240. I'm probably going to paint it and hang it on the wall. It looks nice, but that's the only plus-side. I wanted a cheap backup metal guitar. People sometimes laugh at the guy shredding with a Strat. I decided to get something a little more "evil". This guitar had the looks, but at substandard quality. If I had it to do over again, I would probably buy an Ibanez or Schecter. In fact, I plan to buy an Ibanez RG350EX and see how that does. For now, however, the Strat will be fine. If you must buy this guitar, I suggest inspecting the neck carefully, and replacing just about everything! Especially the pickups and pickup selector! All in all, I think you could definitely get a better guitar for the money you'd spend doing all that.

I would not call this guitar "gig-worthy". The spikes seem delicate, and would probably chip if I accidentally bumped into something. The hardware feels very cheap, and could potentially break with no warning. Oh yeah, and if the guitar got bumped around too much onstage or in the van, the wood chips might fall out, making the neck come loose... *indignant smile* (yes, such a thing exists). On second thought, I wouldn't take this thing gigging anyway.

Ugh, this thing was awful out-of-the-box. The action was way too high. I don't really care, because when I'm really into The Music, my fingers don't seem to notice. The main complaint I have here is how [insert expletive] cheaply this thing was made! As I said, the action was way too high, which bothers a lot of people. Furthermore, the pickup selector is wobbly and feels like it could break off any second now, the input jack was loose (no biggie, I tightened it), the grooves in the nut were too small; I literally had to file them down with a knife to make the strings fit properly! Finally, the neck. That thing was more crooked than an old man on a cold day! The person Who made the body made the neck slot slant back at an angle. It was also tilted downward a tiny bit. But guess what they did to try and make it look okay! They put tiny wood-chips between the neck and body to hold the neck at the right angle, which was still drastically off!! That makes me mad. They could have put that body in the "rejects" bin, but instead they used wood chips to prop the neck up!

This is mainly an "eye candy" guitar. It's the epitome of "spiky metal guitars". BC Rich apparently gives looks much higher priority over sound. It was made in China, I'm not sure what year it was, but I'm pretty sure it was no earlier than '06 (as it seemed to be a new addition to BC Rich's website at the time). Probably '07 or '08. It has: - 24 frets - White Dot inlays on a rosewood bolt-on neck - A spiky agathis body with a gold (not "silver") tribal design - A single volume knob; a single tone knob - A 3-way very flimsy-feeling pickup selector - 2 "BC Rich B.D.S.M." humbuckers - 6 "BC Rich" tuners. - A wrap-around bridge.

Metalfreak777
    john gibson wrote: a guitar that costs less than 700 bucks isnt worth shit when you are a little more experianced than an absolute beginner. you better save your money and buy a more expensive warlock. in the big world of the guitar, the price is the quality. Compared with a simple Gibson les paul studio this guitar ain't woth shit. off course its a good darn thing to start with. oh yeah whoever said a peavey transtube amp sounds well, is so damn wrong. Onley tube amps sound well. ask every artist. transistor amps are just cheaper and good for beginners.
    well that's total crap ive been playin almost 8 years and i still use my squier from time to time, i even confess to playing gigs with it the odd time, if you had any experience you would know that its not how expensive the equipment is, its ohw u can utilise it to your advantage
    warrenguitar
    Sick guitar, i would have 1 for every day of the week! 10 out of 10 guitar!!! B.C. Rich are the best guitar designers ever!!!
    Rock!
    WTF!! ur shit! ur just a rich bastard I have a bc rich metal master warlock and its sitting on my lap now! u just insulted me and others! who are to give an opion like that! thinking everyone is as rich as u!
    Parkesie959
    Man, you are so full of shit. I'm getting a Warbeast, which is half warlock, half beast, the one I am getting has the same pickups as the Warlock Metal Master though. Do you think we can all afford a $700+ guitar? What planet are you from? I have a Strat CHEAP copy that is worth 50. It plays brilliantly, no joke.
    alcinious
    slipknot_13 wrote: im gona get that guitar from my friend it awsome
    You have one ****ing awesome friend!
    Cobodomhc
    Well, I have one of these amazing guitars. I like it alot, I've had it for 2 years now. The inputs do get loose, I have to tighten them from time to time. The points chipped quite easy, Although it isn't noticable. Other than, my guitar works perfect for me, and I wouldn't give it up for the world. I've had alot of people telling me there all just show guitars, but I had to find out for myself, and I've proved them wrong, but shit they didn't know anything about guitars in the first place, its just what they heard. People and their gossip. I really like this guitar, and if you are deciding weather to buy one or not. I'd say its a good choice. I bought my guitar for about $400 I think in Edmonton. Which I seem to find out they are cheaper than i've paid. But other than money is money. Atleast I got myself something to shred on. \M/
    Fazemelta666
    These guitars are frickin' AWESOME!!!! I tried one out at a Bruce Miller's Guitar Store in Aberdeen, Scotland, and the next day when I went in to buy it, it was already sold, which I was REALLY angry about, and I can't find one anywhere else! Does anyone know where I can find one? I would be really appreciative if someone could help me out.
    ColonelInfernal
    I just bought one that was red with white decals at a pawn shop for 100 USD and I have no complaints at all about this guitar. It plays beautifully through my set up and overall I think it looks great but thats just me. The pickups sound fine the bridge is comfortable. I like having smooth fret wire and not boxy and the action is great, really no complaints. FOR BEGINNERS: Please don't let some of these idiots get to you. If you really wanna know how they sound go play one because here you'll only get biased opinions. Go make your own opinion, its you that has to play the guitar and like it not any of the people on this site. Happy hunting!