Warlock Metal Master Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 07/13/2012 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: Warlock Metal Master
Tapping into its heritage as a favorite instrument of hard rock and heavy metal guitarists, BC Rich introduces its new Metal Master Warlock. This guitar offers BC Rich style, performance and attitude to new players, all at an affordable price.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.9
 5,812
reviews (8) pictures (4) 92 comments vote for this gear:
Warlock Metal Master Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 23, 2006

Purchased from: Americanmusical.com

Features: This guitar is amazing. It has a 24 wide fret maple fingerboard, BC Rich double humbucker pickup and more. It comes with a four foot cable. The guitar itself is made in china. It has volume and tone control that will blow minds. It has everything you need in a guitar all in one eye catching, mind blowing, fly looking package. // 9

Sound: This guitars name says it all. Metal Master. It's sound with a Peavey 40 watt 158 Rage transtube amp is amazing. It is the cleanest sounding guitar I have ever tried and trust me I'm cheap so I try a lot of guitars before I buy. You use overdrive and it goes wild. In fact you don't even need overdrive. You can play anything ranging from Metallica to Chili Peppers to Green Day to The Eagles it is the definition of versatile. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on the guitar can't be better my hands seem to move so freely now compared to a little tense and I'm never worried to miss any of the frets because the wide frets make it so easy. This guitar is flawless the finish is outstanding it is so shiny I can see my own reflection in it and it's black. The paint is black with white tribal design on the front. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will show who is boss and there's no reason not to love it. You could play it 50 hours a week and the paint will last you a life time. The strap holders are in key places so the strap doesn't seem to limit you in any way and the holders are very solid. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm so impresed with this guitar I went from messing up from time to time to, not messing up at all. The sound is great. It's playability is amazing and did I mention the sound is amazing. I can't get enough of the guitar I will play it forever. I strongly reccomend it to you. It's wickedly wild. BC Rich is the "Master." // 10

Warlock Metal Master Reviewed by: lunaemortalis, on may 26, 2008

Purchased from: Local Store

Features: This guitar was bought in 2004 in Mexico City and has been one of the best selections of my life. It's just amazing: 25'5 scale; 24 XJ frets in a Rosewood fretboard; Bolt-on Baswood body and a headset so friggin cool it's just great. It has a Natural Satin finish and painted in black with a tribal artwork that kicks-ass. Tune-O-Matic bridge with Die cast tuners. The classic Warlock form of the body is excelent and very agressive. 2 B\.C\. Rich BDSM humbuckers with good output with 3 way selector. It came with a gig bag, 10W amplifier and special edition Picks. // 10

Sound: Ok this guitar is for playing all sorts of Heavy Metal. It has a really great sound that has a lot of power since the pickups have a good output. However I have played all sorts of music and it has amazed me the versatility of these pickups. I use a Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 amp and a Zoom 606 as effects processor. The bridge pickup is ideal for rocking all the way while the neck pickup is good for a clean ryhtmic tone. Combining them gives you a good sound to play soft rock or blues. Clean mode: a bit low tones but good balance. Distorsion on: Hell of a sound, it's great. Bright and sustained, agressive and powerful. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was very well set-up at the factory actually, I just had to adjust the brige a little bit so I could play in D tuning. The only problem I have had with this guitar is the headset which is not easy to take care of since it can hit objects easily, one of the screws of the strap-lock and the input which had to be repaired but it cost me like 2.50 USD. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well, one thing I can say is that when you play this thing Live you'll become a raging beast thirsty of distorted sounds, powerful devastating riffs and lightning solos. It's been 4 years and this guitar is gonna stay with me for a while. You can definately depend on this guitar for whenever you need it. // 9

Overall Impression: Mostly, I play heavy metal, symphonic and power metal, hard rock, blues and classic rock and this guitar has suited me in every style I've played. It's been 6 years since I began playing guitar and honestly this piece of gear will never leave me. If I ever lose it(hope it never happens) I'd probably buy the Platinum Series of BC Rich since I would like a Premium Guitar, however it wouldn't have the same meaning to me since this BC Rich was my first guitar. // 9

Warlock Metal Master Reviewed by: namwoc, on january 05, 2007

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: It was made in 2002 in the USA. My Warlock has 23 frets but I have seen 22 fret warlocks. It comes in rare wood, mohogany, and alder so I've seen. My Warlock has a Tune-O-Matic bridge style, I have seen a Tele-style on it a lot. Active elctronics. Controls give can vary depending on if you buy the Metal Master V132 Custom or the Metal Master V531. Both of them have volume and tone, 531 has a switch to treble and bass but the 132 does not. This comes with a case, gig bag, tools, sometimes a B.C. Rich tuner depending on where you get the guitar, and strings. // 8

Sound: It has a hard sharp sound. Very rock and it workswith metal, hard rock, and any thing with heavy sounds. I use a Marshall Custom amp with clean, crunch, metal, and insane settings (distort settings). It has a full sound I wouldn't say the richest but it is definetley full. The guitar can make heavey, sharp, slicey sounds and it is amazing in screeching. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is set up pretty perfectley it hasn't broken down on me and I hope it doesn't. The pickups are perfectley adjusted and I've never had to change or fix them unlike my other guitars. Bookmatched top and routed bridge are perfect. The only down side would have to be a rough cut nut. But it isn't so bad that it would bother any one it's just jagged. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Yes it can with stand live playing I have tried it many times and it hasn't failed me. I think that it will last for at least four to five years, it is well built. The strapbuttons are very solid and havn't come off yet. I can definetley depend on it I think that it is very reliable. I would use it on a gig without back up becuase I trust it so much. The finish is good to last it seems like I could play it for years in the same condition. // 9

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal, hard rock, rock and roll, any thing like that. This guitar fits my every need and I love it. I have been playing for 3 years. I wished I asked how the nut was cut but like I said it doesn't bother me.if I were to lose it I would definetley buy it again. I love the sound and the style and look of the guitar. There is nothing I don't likie about it. My favorite feature is the style with the horn like head. I compared it with the les paul Epiphone studio and they are very different but I still like the warlock. It has everything I coul wish for. // 10

Warlock Metal Master Reviewed by: Zecromancer, on november 25, 2008

Features: This is mainly an "eye candy" guitar. It's the epitome of "spiky metal guitars". BC Rich apparently gives looks much higher priority over sound. It was made in China, I'm not sure what year it was, but I'm pretty sure it was no earlier than '06 (as it seemed to be a new addition to BC Rich's website at the time). Probably '07 or '08. It has: - 24 frets - White Dot inlays on a rosewood bolt-on neck - A spiky agathis body with a gold (not "silver") tribal design - A single volume knob; a single tone knob - A 3-way very flimsy-feeling pickup selector - 2 "BC Rich B.D.S.M." humbuckers - 6 "BC Rich" tuners. - A wrap-around bridge. // 7

Sound: I don't really care for this guitar's pickups. They're too dark and muddy sounding. It's mainly a metal guitar, and when I try to "scoop" the mids out to get that really nice metal tone, it's pure muddiness on the neck pickup. The Bridge pickup is slightly less muddy... It's actually a bit too sharp, but still muddy sounding. Sharp, but not bright. Kind of tinny. When I play this guitar (which is rarely), I have to have the EQ on my amp pretty levelled out. Maybe I'll boost the treble & bass a bit, but I HAVE TO have the mids in there as well. I've been playing this guitar through a 160-watt tube amp that my friend made for me. It's a very nice amp, so I'm pretty sure the bad sound is the guitar's fault. I guess you get what you pay for. Surprisingly, this guitar sounds really nice without an amp! It actually sounds better than my Fender H-S-S Stratocaster un-amplified. That's probably due to the wrap-around bridge on the BC Rich which gives it a fuller sound (un-amped, of course) with more sustain. Tremolos really do make a difference there. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Ugh, this thing was awful out-of-the-box. The action was way too high. I don't really care, because when I'm really into The Music, my fingers don't seem to notice. The main complaint I have here is how [insert expletive] cheaply this thing was made! As I said, the action was way too high, which bothers a lot of people. Furthermore, the pickup selector is wobbly and feels like it could break off any second now, the input jack was loose (no biggie, I tightened it), the grooves in the nut were too small; I literally had to file them down with a knife to make the strings fit properly! Finally, the neck. That thing was more crooked than an old man on a cold day! The person Who made the body made the neck slot slant back at an angle. It was also tilted downward a tiny bit. But guess what they did to try and make it look okay! They put tiny wood-chips between the neck and body to hold the neck at the right angle, which was still drastically off!! That makes me mad. They could have put that body in the "rejects" bin, but instead they used wood chips to prop the neck up! // 3

Reliability & Durability: I would not call this guitar "gig-worthy". The spikes seem delicate, and would probably chip if I accidentally bumped into something. The hardware feels very cheap, and could potentially break with no warning. Oh yeah, and if the guitar got bumped around too much onstage or in the van, the wood chips might fall out, making the neck come loose... *indignant smile* (yes, such a thing exists). On second thought, I wouldn't take this thing gigging anyway. // 5

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar was a waste of $240. I'm probably going to paint it and hang it on the wall. It looks nice, but that's the only plus-side. I wanted a cheap backup metal guitar. People sometimes laugh at the guy shredding with a Strat. I decided to get something a little more "evil". This guitar had the looks, but at substandard quality. If I had it to do over again, I would probably buy an Ibanez or Schecter. In fact, I plan to buy an Ibanez RG350EX and see how that does. For now, however, the Strat will be fine. If you must buy this guitar, I suggest inspecting the neck carefully, and replacing just about everything! Especially the pickups and pickup selector! All in all, I think you could definitely get a better guitar for the money you'd spend doing all that. // 6

Warlock Metal Master Reviewed by: Casval, on october 21, 2009

Features: Made around 2000-2003, in Japan. 24 jumbo 2.7mm frets. 25 1/2 scale. Includes rosewood fretboard, and white pearloid dots. Has a beveled agathis top, and rosewood neck. Painted glossy finish with silver blade graphic. Also has a wrap around adjustable bridge. Has 2 B.D.S.M. B\.C\. Rich humbuckers, 1 volume, 1 tone, and 1 three-way toggle Switch. As well as B\.C\. Rich diecast tuners. // 10

Sound: This guitar is everything I was looking for! I mainly play Heavy Metal, and Progressive Metal, so I was looking for a nice deep, heavy sounding guitar. The tone of this thing is amazing. I am mainly a rhythm guitarist. I find that I can use the bridge pickup to get more clear concise rhythms, while I use the neck pickup for heavy, thrashing, doesn't matter if you hear every little note rhythms. Although I don't do it myself, this guitar would sound great for leads as well. But the over all tone is what you would expect from such a metal looking guitar. Very deep. Extremely heavy! I currently use it through a Crate G 200w combo, as well as a Peavey Rage 158. Sounds great on either. This guitar single-handedly eliminated the buzz from my DOD Death Metal Distortion pedal. (Which is no small feat, believe me...) I would say this guitar would obviously be great for metal, but would also hold it's own in punk rock, and blues genres as well. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is great. Low string height, very fast feeling neck. My only concern was the top bolt to the adjustable bridge took some getting used to. It is raised a little. When palm muting you get a different feel than normal. It wasn't horrible or awkward. Just different. The pickups pick up each string perfectly. There were a few dings from the previous owner, Nothing major. Just normal guitar wear and tear. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is extremely durable. It seems like it will last me an extremely long time. Everything is well built. Nothing seems cheap, or flimsy at all. The strap locks spin a little, but are solid as a rock. I will definitely use the guitar with out a back up. There is nothing in it's design, or the parts used, that would suggest anything would go wrong with it in a live performance. The finish, and the graphic seem extremely long lasting. Barely a scratch on it after being housed in less than hospitable conditions by the previous owner. // 10

Overall Impression: As I stated before I mainly play Heavy Metal, and Progressive Metal. This guitar was everything I asked for, plus some. I have been playing for 18 years. Over the years I have owned a slew of guitars. I have to rate this one my new favorite. If anything were to ever happen to it, I would definitely go and get another. I love the sound, I love the feel, and as an added bonus I love the shape as well. If you are thinking about getting one. I advise you to go for it. I am extremely happy with my purchase. // 10

Warlock Metal Master Reviewed by: SMterminator, on february 12, 2007

Purchased from: Carrols Music

Features: Comes with 2 BDSM pickups, 1 tone and 1 volume control with a 3-way toggle switch. Has a wraparound bridge, 24 frets, a 14 watt B.C. Rich amp and some other stuff like a gig bag, strap and picks. Made in China. A maple bolt on neck does the trick with an awesome looking headstock. Has a gloss black finish with a white graphic. // 8

Sound: I've not bothered with the included amp and play through a Champ 15 watt amp which suits it very well. It plays nicely in either overdrive or clean. Pinch harmonics are a cinch and I can make some nice tones anywhere on the fretboard. Playing on the low E string sounds a bit funny though. Megadeth, Metallica to The Living End and Slash. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Very well set up from the factory but crap strings on it. Pickups were fairly well positioned. The nut is a bit too wide and doesn't look the best but it works. The paint is awesome was well as the neck playability but the graphics are a bit cheesy. The pickups are a tad noisy but you can't really hear it, I'm picky. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It'll chip if not put in a hard case. I swapped the amp and other stuff for one at the shop. The strap buttons are big and will secure that strap. No backup needed because everything is solid, even though it's a light guitar. It would survive live playing if treated well but the corners have to be taken good care of otherwise they will chip. // 8

Overall Impression: I play stuff from The Living End, Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Children Of Bodom and other stuff and it handles everything nicely. I've been playing for 5 years now but I'm getting to learn shred. If it was stolen I'd get another one or an Ibanez RG. I chose it 'cause it was a reasonable price and the salesperson let me try heaps of guitars and I liked this one the best. I wanted a whammy bar though. // 8

Warlock Metal Master Reviewed by: Darkdevil725, on november 01, 2011

Features: - Neck: Maple - Fretboard: Rosewood - Inlays: Standard pearloid dots - Frets: 24 - Headstock: Widow - Body: Agathis - Bridge: Wrap around. - Pickups: BDSM Humbuckers - - Controls: 1 tone, 1 volume, 3 way switch - Tuners: Diecast BC Rich tuners - Paint: Red with Blade graphics - Body Style: Beveled Warlock // 5

Sound: This guitar fits perfectly with the type of music it was made for. I play metal almost exclusively and so far with the tone this guitar has exceeded my expectations even though it might not say much due to the fact I was not expecting much to begin with. I run it through ProTools 8 using the Sansamp PSA-1 model and I am able to easily pull out some Megadeth, Metallica, and Pantera style tones with it. After messing around with the volume knobs and turning the gain down I was able to get a really nice sound for playing songs such as ".45" by Shinedown. The pickups are very quiet, I get no buzzing or hum at all. Overall I am very pleased with the pickups and do not have any plans to change them out unless I decide to splurge on some Dragonfire active pickups. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I got mine used so I have no comment on the factory setup. The neck pocket was pretty snug and was perfectly flat and smooth, the only complaint that could be said about the neck pocket is that it has a pretty noticeable negative angle requiring the bridge to be set pretty high but at the same time due to the angle there is a lot of access to the upper frets. The action is a comfortable height without much fret buzz. The frets could use some work but overall I have played and owned more expensive guitars that had worse fret work. After just 3 or 4 minutes of effortless work I got the intonation nearly perfect. // 6

Reliability & Durability: As far as the neck, body, and bridge go the guitar will handle gigging without a problem. The strap buttons are very large and actually made it difficult to get my strap on them, and it was just as difficult to get the strap off so I can say that strap locks are not necessary but at the same time you can never be too careful so I advise to put strap locks on any ways. The tuning machines are total crap though, they hold tuning fine but they are of such low quality that when I removed them to clean the neck and frets that 2 of them just crumbled to pieces in my hand and I am not joking in the slightest. This could be due to the last user bumping the tuners against something hard or just over tightening the nuts on the tuners but either way I have never had this happen before. The finish does not look like it will ever wear off, but it will chip off especially around the edges but I guess that is normal for pointy guitars with cheap paintjobs. I give this section a 5 just due to the tuners alone. // 5

Overall Impression: If you are a metal head on a budget this is a guitar you should really consider if you do not mind upgrading to at least some $30 locking tuners from GFS. I have been playing for around 4 years now and I have gone through about a dozen guitars ranging from $80 to $500 and I would have to say that B.C. Rich is now my second favorite brand with ESP being my #1. If this was stolen I would definitely try hard to get it back but if I could not I would probably upgrade to at least a Platinum series warlock. My favorite thing about this guitar is probably the most obvious and that is the Warlock shape. I compared it directly with my RG470FM and I have to say that even though the neck isn't as thin it was much more comfortable to play and the pickups sounded better than the Infinity pickups in the RG. It would be nice if it had a string through or stop bar bridge rather than a wrap around. All in all I think it is a good guitar and does not deserve no where near the amount of hate it gets. For a new player its definitely worth looking into but I suggest trying to find it used first before making a final choice on what to get. // 7

Warlock Metal Master Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 13, 2012

Features: - 2011 made in China - 24 frets - solid body - maple neck, rosewood fingerboard Agathis body - black with red wartribe flames - tune-o-matic ish wrap around bridge - passive BDSM pickups - 1 vol 1 tone 3 position switch - 2 humbuckers by whoever is makiking the BDSM's for BC Rich lately - diecast BCR tuners // 9

Sound: Leans toward metal rhythm with lead potential. Hand built tube fired 300W amp with Zoom G9.2tt and G2. Unplugged, the guitar is quite resonant, much more so than most. This should lend to thunderous rhythm warm clean tones yet the pickups don't seem to pick this up. Instead they feast upon its upper frequency crispness and does quite well with pinch harmonics. It needs a Seymour Duncan overhaul. The BDSM's have slid off in quality and are probably a marginal match to this guitar anyhow. Something warm in neck position and a Dimebucker bridge would wake it up. I suppose the fact that the pickups suck might be a plus since you wont get attached to them they encourage you to make it yours with an upgrade. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: It seems these will run the gambit. I've had a few minor quirks with a Masterpiece Bich of similar overall construction. This one they missed some serious bases. The action is decent with the strings a touch on the high side but not overly so. The real issue was the truss rod in the neck. Yeah they installed one but never bothered to adjust it. There was no counter tension set at all. It was two full turns loose and the neck would have warped had I not caught this. Watch the string grommets on these guitars and have some superglue ready when you change the strings. Its no big deal really once you properly glue em into the body they stay put, the same treatment was needed for one of the bridge posts as well. One of the tuners, while useable, is an obvious reject having a very stiff spot in its travel. // 4

Reliability & Durability: The guitar itself should survive the apocalypse... Its hardware... Not so much. But for the price its not that big of a deal to upgrade its tuners and pickups and fine tooth comb the small details. All up this one will cost me a grand total of $350 (purchase of the guitar included) to make it perfect. There's nothing particularly fragile about it. // 7

Overall Impression: I love metal, I play just about everything that qualifies as music to include classical. This one finds a home in distortion dependent forms and after a pickup upgrade, should serve very well with clean tones. Off the rack, keep an eye out. These budget axes do have a few quirks, and are probably prone to flaws that will render some specimens useless. Check for excessive fret sprout, cracks and warps that are sure to happen. China don't care. Once past inspection (don't buy one sight unseen) I doubt you will have to put much effort into making this a world class axe for less than an additional $250 Its a HOT rod. Its not meant to remain stock. If your afraid of modifications, look at a higher grade variant. // 6

Comments